test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"The deprecated option to Enable Shoulder Camera has been removed."

zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
i've just read this in the patchnotes.

"The deprecated option to Enable Shoulder Camera has been removed."

i don't know what "deprecated" means, my universal translator fails me, and gives me 2 options that translate back to either "rejected" or "rebuilt",
since it was removed i guess the option was rejected by somebody who didn't like it in the Dev Team?

NOT happy with this. :(

i LIKED it!

while the option was buggy / glitchy, i very much liked the functionality of the true first person view, the only thing missing was to still see the weapon my character was holding to have a true first person shooter view in shooter mode.

Shooter Mode still has a way to go to be truly enjoyable for me, but this was a good step in the right direction.

instead of removing it i'd request to fix it and make it functional:

- make the option stick, it was defaulting to shoulder view ON after restarting the game every time (seems like a simple enough UI error)

- you were unable to revert from first person view to third person view after you've seen a loading screen, because the button reverted to Enable Shoulder View ON even if you clicked OFF in the last instance.

- the option was also available for space, so one could zoom into first person view as the Ship.
this doesn't seem to make much sense gameplay wise, but it sure was a nice option if you wanted to make Screenshots in Space without your Ship being there.

- about the naming of the option itself:
"Enable Shoulder Camera" by default it is set to ON
the naming is odd, if the default is ON you do not know what will happen when you switch it OFF.
I'd suggest to rename it to "Shoulder / First Person View" to make it more descriptive.

...did i mention in first person view i really want to see my Weapon?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by zerobang on

Comments

• Options
    leonick1991leonick1991 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Deprecated in the terms of software usually means the option has been replaced with something else, in this case I think it means the sine the option was previously deprecated by the inclusion of shooter mode, as it was no longer a needed option it's being removed.

Shouldercam is not the same thing as first person perspective, shouldercam is a third person camera but the character is off centre as if you're looking over the shoulder.

From what I've seen the option didn't actually do anything anyway, on or off made no difference to my camera.

Want to change the forum timezone? Go here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=editoptions
    The user control panel is for some reason missing a link to general options here on the STO forum.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the issue is by toggling it on/off during a map you could go into first person mode and take nice screen shots and stuff. Not sure if you can anymore without it.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Deprecated in the terms of software usually means the option has been replaced with something else, in this case I think it means the sine the option was previously deprecated by the inclusion of shooter mode, as it was no longer a needed option it's being removed.

Shouldercam is not the same thing as first person perspective, shouldercam is a third person camera but the character is off centre as if you're looking over the shoulder.

From what I've seen the option didn't actually do anything anyway, on or off made no difference to my camera.

Pretty much this.
    Deprecated can also mean that it has just become obsolete, even without any replacement.
    Kinda like we lost our tails and didn't get a replacement.

For more extensive digging on the subject...start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Deprecated in the terms of software usually means the option has been replaced with something else,
    usually just means it was declared obsolete and replaced with a no-op

shooter mode should be deprecated

give keys to change camera mode, IE replace shooter mode altogether with a FPS camera toggle