test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Blog about copyrights needed please.

voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
With all of the recent JJ Abrams movies can I please respectfully ask someone from Cryptic/PWE to post an official Blog as to what exactly you have the rights to use in the game and what you don't/can't get the rights to use.

The forums are starting to see an explosion of add <insert ship/item here> from <Insert JJ movie, book, etc here>

I'm not saying people don't have the right to ask for things, but I think in all fairness it should be explained why these things won't/can't happen as many of these threads seem to be added by new/newer players.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by voicesdark on

Comments

• captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok. Cryptic has stated that they can use what CBS owns. This means, anything you see in the TV series or the pre-JJ verse films. Beyond that it's very hit-and-miss. Some characters from the licensed novels like Calhoun and a few others have found their way into STO but generally licensed stuff is pretty iffy. We only got the Vesta after a long, hard grind on Cryptic's part and a lot of begging from the fans.

It's very likely you will /never/ see anything from the JJ-verse in STO since that's owned by Paramount and CBS and Cryptic have no claim on it. Plus it's in a totally different universe and 100+ years in the past. So, there's another problem with getting it into the game.
  • threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    lolz they'll make them t1 ships and all the begging will go OMG I WANT T5 CONNIE AND JJ CONNIE, gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme. I name my ship USS Enterprice and I'm Captain Kerk!
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    It's very likely you will /never/ see anything from the JJ-verse in STO since that's owned by Paramount and CBS and Cryptic have no claim on it. Plus it's in a totally different universe and 100+ years in the past. So, there's another problem with getting it into the game.

If Cryptic had the rights to add stuff from the new Star Trek movies (especially the new Enterprise), you better believe they'd find a way to get that in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Copyright probably isn't the right word for the thread title.

This is far more about licensing. And broader than just copyrights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    threat21 wrote: »
    lolz they'll make them t1 ships and all the begging will go OMG I WANT T5 CONNIE AND JJ CONNIE, gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme. I name my ship USS Enterprise and I'm Captain Kerk!

The USS Vengeance a T1 ship?

Really?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013

Really?

absolutely, its in the same time line as the connie. that's the thing I don't get about the begging for t5 connie TRIBBLE. they're obsolete. Starfleet didn't decommission those ships cause they're super awesome. The shouldn't even be in the game imo.

*edit

except for time travel missions.
    edited May 2013
    captsol wrote: »

We already HAVE seen stuff from the JJ Verse in STO.

The Hobus supernova story which frames the beginning of the game. That comes from Abrams Kurtzman and Orci. Who pushed for it to be in their comic book tie-in. AND then dropped it into the 2009 movie. (Which gets into the other stories people keep linking lately about Abrams talking about how he wanted to do a whole multi-platform licensing and marketing approach with this new Trek, tying a tv series, COMIC BOOKS and the Movies together).

The Red Matter Capacitor is in the game.

Nero's face tatts are in the game.

The Klingon Honor Guard armor set is inspired by the Klingons from Abrams' film.

This game already has used Abrams Trek stuff.

Further use of other stuff is obviously tricky going forward. But these claims that STO has no Abrams stuff in it need to stop. The game does have Abrams stuff in it. From Nimoy's voice overs to the Klingon end-game ground armor, Abrams has already touches (or tainted, depending on how you feel about the new movies) your game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    absolutely, its in the same time line as the connie. that's the thing I don't get about the begging for t5 connie TRIBBLE. they're obsolete. Starfleet didn't decommission those ships cause they're super awesome. The shouldn't even be in the game imo.

*edit

except for time travel missions.

I think you need to watch Into Darkness again. You're selling the Vengeance extremely short.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    With all of the recent JJ Abrams movies can I please respectfully ask someone from Cryptic/PWE to post an official Blog as to what exactly you have the rights to use in the game and what you don't/can't get the rights to use.

The EULA thread in the Foundry forum basically answers this.

But putting it bluntly, anything Star Trek BUT the Abrams Star Trek is fair game. :P

If something is from the Alternate Universe that is already in-game, then that was done cooperatively prior to STO's launch. And that's as far as the agreement goes, they agreed nothing from the new movies will be part of the game.

The forums are starting to see an explosion of add <insert ship/item here> from <Insert JJ movie, book, etc here>

I'm not saying people don't have the right to ask for things, but I think in all fairness it should be explained why these things won't/can't happen as many of these threads seem to be added by new/newer players.

That's why older forum members try to explain things as best they can.
    edited May 2013
    I think you need to watch Into Darkness again. You're selling the Vengeance extremely short.

nope, I dun need to watch it again. unless that ship came from the future, it doesn't belong in 2409. neither does the connie, the Miranda, the NX-01, or anything pre TNG. I will only accept the Excelsior cuz it made its way into the TNG era due to CBS not wanting to make a new model... explain it away by over engineering it to make it "future proof" somewhat. We already have an absurd amount of ships that don't really belong here, no need to compound that with more garbage.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the actual topic of the thread: This would actually require Cryptic to be open, forthright, and willing to share information. Good luck.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is that soooo called inspired KDF set

JJ trek klingon armor http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/merrick/trek2009kling_big.jpeg

sto kdf set http://stoisite.weebly.com/uploads/6/7/4/3/6743864/3997159.jpg?743

red matter capacitor only obtainable if you bought collectors edition of sto if you take note still the only way to get it

and a tattoo well sorry have no real answer for that but it don't compare to asking for a look a like StarShip.................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013

From January's Ask Cryptic:
    Dstahl: Good question. Our license with CBS is restricted to the TV Shows, the movies (up to Nemesis), the Animated Series, and some of the book fiction. Unfortunately, this license doesn?t extend to other video games. However, if those ships or factions appeared in any of the previously mentioned properties, then it is fair game.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2013
    nope, I dun need to watch it again. unless that ship came from the future, it doesn't belong in 2409. neither does the connie, the Miranda, the NX-01, or anything pre TNG. I will only accept the Excelsior cuz it made its way into the TNG era due to CBS not wanting to make a new model... explain it away by over engineering it to make it "future proof" somewhat. We already have an absurd amount of ships that don't really belong here, no need to compound that with more garbage.

There were Miranda class ships in TNG and DS9. There were also Oberth class vessels in both as well. That's why we have them in STO.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Further use of other stuff is obviously tricky going forward. But these claims that STO has no Abrams stuff in it need to stop

no it doesn't. the things you refer to all take place in the prime timeline

Really?

considering how old it would be by 2409 yes it would have to be. i'd say its safe to bet that its rather outdated after more than a century
    The Klingon Honor Guard armor set is inspired by the Klingons from Abrams' film.

according to who? and you mean the klingons that weren't actually in the movie? even if they were 'inspired' by them, inspired is not the same thing as being something from the movie
    From Nimoy's voice overs

what do voice overs have to do with JJ...?
    edited May 2013
    considering how old it would be by 2409 yes it would have to be. i'd say its safe to bet that its rather outdated after more than a century

according to who? and you mean the klingons that weren't actually in the movie? even if they were 'inspired' by them, inspired is not the same thing as being something from the movie

what do voice overs have to do with JJ...?

The problem with extrapolating what Tier the ships in JJ Trek would be is that technology has advanced along a different line from the Prime Universe. So, it's not directly comparable beyond the basic level. We don't know what the JJverse will look like by the time of TNG. (Aside from having bridges and interiors bright with lights and looking like they were designed by Apple.)

As for the Honor Guard, I'm guessing he means from the newest movie. I don't really see the comparison all that much.

And the voice overs? Well, it /seems/ that Spock is speaking from the JJverse about the Primeverse, at least that's the feeling I get from the voice overs. Beyond that, though, that's the only connection beyond the Hobus Nova itself and the events of Countdown.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ... It would also probably require explaining intellectual property law and what is and isn't a copyright. (Copyright is one very narrow form of IP and not altogether the most relevant one here.)

And it would take more than a blog post.

And I'd wager most Cryptic employees or even most folks in entertainment don't understand it that well. They don't always know the rules (Geko and Dan probably know more and artists know about their fields) and have to ask someone else, case by case.

Also, it may well be that most JJverse rights go through CBS not Paramount, based on recent articles. And what does that mean? It means Cryptic can ask. And they might be told:

- Yes, and that will be more money, please.

- Yes, and we can let that slide.

- No, and here's why...

- No. End of subject.

Or even:

- No. Not because we can't but because we're licensing that out to other people.

That goes for TAS, the books, and apparently the JJverse (which appears to be co-managed through CBS and Paramount and licensed through CBS consumer products, same as STO).

But the same goes for The Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, Walker Texas Ranger, The Love Boat, 7th Heaven, and Mork & Mindy.

CBS has said yes to other Trek things in the past like Captain Calhoun but they didn't have to and have no obligation to be consistent about it. They could, if asked. They might not and have no obligation to be consistent. They could say yes to Mork costumes just as easily, if not easier.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We already HAVE seen stuff from the JJ Verse in STO.

The Hobus supernova story which frames the beginning of the game. That comes from Abrams Kurtzman and Orci. Who pushed for it to be in their comic book tie-in. AND then dropped it into the 2009 movie. (Which gets into the other stories people keep linking lately about Abrams talking about how he wanted to do a whole multi-platform licensing and marketing approach with this new Trek, tying a tv series, COMIC BOOKS and the Movies together).

The Red Matter Capacitor is in the game.

Nero's face tatts are in the game.

This game already has used Abrams Trek stuff.

Further use of other stuff is obviously tricky going forward. But these claims that STO has no Abrams stuff in it need to stop. The game does have Abrams stuff in it. From Nimoy's voice overs to the Klingon end-game ground armor, Abrams has already touches (or tainted, depending on how you feel about the new movies) your game.

yeah, abramscrapverse stuff in the game my eye!
    these items mentioned are likely and entirely coincidental, the capacitor was around BEFORE the alternative stuff, so that is as as i am concerned not abramscrapverse inspired.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited May 2013
    no it doesn't. the things you refer to all take place in the prime timeline

/sigh

That whole story comes from JJ Abrams. It appears in the 2009 movie. Was spawned by a meeting between Abrams, Kurtzman and Orci with the Countdown comic book writers, who were working for Kurtzman and Orci.

It doesn't matter that it takes place in the timeline Spock comes from. It's ABRAMS' idea. From Abrams' movie. Prime Universe? That's got nothing to do with it. It's from the 2009 film, it's Abrams content in this game.

Do you not understand this? The Hobus Supernova is JJ Abrams' contribution to the Prime Universe timeline! If you loathe everything about his Trek, this should tick you off way more since that's stuff he did to your precious timeline. IN HIS 2009 MOVIE! And that definitely is something that is part of this game.

The Klingons are in the new movie. You get nice long look at them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    really stop with they story bit we are good some years after them Star Trek: Countdown comics we just cant seem to get out of 2409 :)

do you see narada ships in the game? do you see jellyfish ships in the game? do you see Trek 09 fed out fits in the game? don't come back with beta because they where told no they cant use them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited May 2013
    the capacitor was around BEFORE the alternative stuff

Say what? Red Matter is from the Abrams film. It's the plot catalyst.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013

and to any one who got the CE of the game can use it but its not something that drops in this game or can be got off the Zstore

and to be frank its not even same as his because movie did black holes game it gives a boost to power levels for a short time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited May 2013
    People forget that when STO was in development, Romulus was around and they had big plans for it. Then Abrams came and changed things around, where the team had to re-work STO where they had to work around the destruction of Romulus.

That's why the majority of the events from the 2009 movie is just merely mentioned in backstory and in text (like the Path to 2409).

Stahl has said several times that the Red Matter Capacitor was exclusive for the Collectors Edition and part of their agreement with Paramount. That's why it's not in the C-store.
    edited May 2013
    Stahl has said several times that the Red Matter Capacitor was exclusive for the Collectors Edition and part of their agreement with Paramount. That's why it's not in the C-store.

What deal with paramount?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    and to be frank its not even same as his because movie did black holes game it gives a boost to power levels for a short time

Yeah well my Transphasic Torpedoes don't work the same way they did onscreen either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Yeah well my Transphasic Torpedoes don't work the same way they did onscreen either.

they do to me they go through shields just like the show they just not one shot kill in a mmo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited May 2013
    People forget that when STO was in development, Romulus was around and they had big plans for it. Then Abrams came and changed things around.

I say nuking my home world is more then moving things around :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited May 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    I say nuking my home world is more then moving things around :D

Well, some Febreeze and some Q magic can fix that. :rolleyes:
    What deal with paramount?

The deal they had to do with them so they could use rights to the Star Trek movies? :rolleyes:
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even though we answered these topics over and over already people still make them, yes even those who already got the official answer that is already out there spoon fed to them. People then come with TRIBBLE like "My mom's cousin his neighbour saw ship XYZ in the game so THIS should be possible too because of blabla".

People just won't drop it no matter how official an answer you make. So the only solution anytime a thread about it comes up is a single reply with "No. /10char" and then everyone ignoring the topic until it's off the front page. Maybe people will get it then.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    By suggesting there be some official thread that gets stickied I was trying to be nice and give these people the benefit of the doubt that they were new and honestly didn't know how it works.

I've seen 3 new threads about the JJ abrams ships and people wanting them to be put in the game just today alone. Think that puts the grand total for the week around 8 different threads or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]