test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

High Yield Torpedo or Torpedo Spread?

seniorchief421seniorchief421 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Federation Discussion
I use quantum torpedoes in conjunction with the torpedo spread ability generally and I decided to try the high yield ability (I was thinking they might stack, they don't -_-). I don't notice a huge difference between the two, but I like torpedo spread because I can hit four targets at once.

I'm just looking for some opinions to whether high yield torpedo may be better.
Post edited by seniorchief421 on

Comments

• sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use quantum torpedoes in conjunction with the torpedo spread ability generally and I decided to try the high yield ability (I was thinking they might stack, they don't -_-). I don't notice a huge difference between the two, but I like torpedo spread because I can hit four targets at once.

I'm just looking for some opinions to whether high yield torpedo may be better.

For multiple targets, each type is useful in different situations. Spam control (many small ships/Probes) you would want to use Torp Spread(TS), up to 5 targets. A single big target, use High Yield (HY). HY will only target one object.

Against one target... referring to STOWiki, it looks like HY puts out 4 torpedos of reduced strength, while TS COULD put out up to 8 torps of unspecified strength. The number of torps and targets depends on rank, STOWiki stops at Lt. Commander. It may scale up from there but I doubt it.

There are situations that you would NOT want to agro all the nearby enemy ships, like a Cube, while trying to take out the smaller ships/objects, like Nanite Spheres... so HY would be the best choice.

In general I would recommend having both to have the best control for the situation. Same goes for cannon abilities.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is actually a very big thread on the subject in the PVP section, I tend to like Torpedo Spread 3 because it cleans mobs of fighters and frigates. There is no doubt for directed single targets nothing beats HYT.

The thread from the PvP section:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=266635
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spreads are almost always better in PVE, since the critters are almost always in groups
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are running either Omega or Hyper-Plasma torpedo launchers, then High Yield Torpedo is a better choice due to the extra 300 to 400% bonus damage modifier depending on what HYT# you run.

Omega Torpedo + HYT3 can 1-shot ships through an open shield on a critical (highest I've seen is 120k on a single crit). No, it doesn't happen often, but it does lead to many "WTF was that???" inquiries from people not familiar with this combo on its receiving end.
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been using TS3 alot from Tovan on Tribble....i swear against even a single target I see more 2k+ numbers than i do with a HY 2 *havent tried 3 yet* but that could be because the Elachi have low kinetic resistance? hahaha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p