test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rescuing family and friends of BOffs - dialogue rework needed

sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
At the end of "Installation 18" in the Nimbus arc, Tovan Khev's little sister Rinna is finally rescued from the machinations of the Tal Shiar and Elachi.

Similarly, near the end of the Elachi arc, where one's toon leads his BOffs to storm the Elachi space station, they discover the Elachi using the bodies of Romulan civilians to breed the next generation of Elachi personnel. Of the few that could be successfully revived and beamed back to your ship, these include Zden (Bratty Reman engineer Veril's father) and D'Vex (self-described "old space hound" from Virinat initially believed to be lost when the colony was destroyed.)

Spoilers aside, I felt that the conclusion of the "search for missing family and friends" arc was a bit subdued compared to the initial loss. At it stands, Rinna gets a short piece of dialogue, Zden simply gets beamed away to safety, and D'Vex joins your crew as a BOff without so much as a word.

Therefore, I would like to propose the following improvements:

• Rinna Khev - upon interaction, play a short cutscene with a (tearful) reunion. This would work because for the most part, Tovan is an undischargeable BOff, and thus is crucial to the conclusion of the arc. Maybe throw in another accolade for good measure.

• Zden - since it's possible that a player may have discharged Veril shortly after she joins your crew, have a conditional dialog - if Veril is part of the player's BOff roster, either a cutscene or fly-in dialog box of Veril calling "Father!"; or, if Veril is not part of the BOff roster, have Zden recognize the player, thank him/her for saving him, and be informed that his daughter is safe as well with the RR fleet.

• D'Vex - As the next BOff that is essentially added to your roster, there could be a dialogue window where he too expresses graditude for his rescue, and offers to join the player's crew. Optional dialog options could include him noting that there is nothing left to rebuild at Virinat, and the fact that the player can keep his old helmet in his/her ready room.

At the very least, a few additional non-voiced fly-in speech boxes would make for satisfying ending to their stories.
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mattdawsonmattdawson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Especially with Rinna Khev, I was all... "that's it?"

There's a huge chuck missing between the start (when he's hopeful of finding his sister) to nothing to finding her.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree too. This is a good idea.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited May 2013
    Could have her die? No happy reunion? More incentive to fight?
  • Options
    alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree with this. When I first played those mission and Rescue them I was like wait it that it I have theses bridge officer in my away team and they don't even have a dialog with their family. Tovan Khev at the beginning of the Romulan story asked you to help find her sister and when we did he got nothing to say. I even thought I will get his sister as either bridge officer or Duty officer.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alikain wrote: »
    I totally agree with this. When I first played those mission and Rescue them I was like wait it that it I have theses bridge officer in my away team and they don't even have a dialog with their family. Tovan Khev at the beginning of the Romulan story asked you to help find her sister and when we did he got nothing to say. I even thought I will get his sister as either bridge officer or Duty officer.

Good idea, a new duty and bridge officer of good quality is always welcome.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    silverserasilversera Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is by far my bigest disapointed in LoR as far as story goes. these "reunion" are so lame it's hard to find words to describe them.

I just can't believe that Rhinna doesn't become a boff for us, I thought that was a given. Can you imagine that with all the designer working at cryptic not one thought about it :" hey guys, I have a super cool idea ,let's have rhinna join the bridge as a counterpart to her brother".
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vitzh wrote: »
    Could have her die? No happy reunion? More incentive to fight?
    ^To be honest, this actually makes a lot of sense, once these particular people are found your motley crew really doesn't have much reason to stay together. Remember these are all volunteers and you aren't the Romulan military of old where the Tal'shiar would go after your family if you go AWOL.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To the op: please put plot spoilers in one of those hidden box things, or at least put a spoiler warning in the title. I saw your post just before I played the mission (meant to click the thread above), and caught the first sentence before I realised it was spoileriffic. Not cool

Anyway, having now played the mission I couldnt agree more. Such an anticlimax plot wise. I'd like to see more of Veril anyway, and that she has no dialogue/mention is silly.

@f2pdrakron:

I personally love Veril, Tovan, Satra and D'vex. Don't like Hiven as much, don;t know why.

But I agree with you, how hard would it be to add an off switch (for those who want to tell their own stories) on Tovan, and let us reclaim them if we dismiss them, perhaps by replaying the appropriate mission. He should be dismissable though for those who dont like him.

For Tovan, why not just give us the choice to either have him in cutscenes, voiced, whether or not he's in our roster or if he should be substitued by an original npc like Nadel.

That way everyone is happy for a minimum effort. Those who like the cryptic stuff can keep it, those who want to build their own can get rid without losing anything.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    one other huge logic/story problem with that mission, you're tasked to destroy the incubation tubes...why? when you're going to blow up the whole station anyway.
    :rolleyes:
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the reason Veril has no dialogue here is because then she would have to be un-dismissable like Tovan. They don't want the mission to be completely messed up if you ditch Veril early on.