test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

KDF MISSION: "Blood of the Empire"

misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
This mission predates the new "First City" and as a result when you beam down to fight the invading forces, you fight in the old "First City".
From various threads since the new "First City" has been added to the game, I can tell you this is a jarring experience for new players who don't know the old map.
A lot of them don't understand why the map is so different and where they have to go.
In particular how to reach the Chancellor seems to be rather difficult for them since they don't know they layout of the old "Great Hall".
LoR is intended to make the game more friendly to new players, hence the updated character creation etc.
In addition the ability to create a KDF character at starting level is supposed to make them more appealing.

Unfortunately this means the current problems with this mission become even worse if and when a large number of new players reach this mission.
Is there any intention to redo this map for the LoR launch?
I ask because I just checked the mission out in the current TRIBBLE build and it's still the way it's always been.
No problem for me...I get somewhat nostalgic walking the old "First City", but for new players this is going to be an unpleasant experience....
Post edited by misterde3 on

Comments

• kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    This mission predates the new "First City" and as a result when you beam down to fight the invading forces, you fight in the old "First City".
    From various threads since the new "First City" has been added to the game, I can tell you this is a jarring experience for new players who don't know the old map.
    A lot of them don't understand why the map is so different and where they have to go.
    In particular how to reach the Chancellor seems to be rather difficult for them since they don't know they layout of the old "Great Hall".
    LoR is intended to make the game more friendly to new players, hence the updated character creation etc.
    In addition the ability to create a KDF character at starting level is supposed to make them more appealing.

Unfortunately this means the current problems with this mission become even worse if and when a large number of new players reach this mission.
    Is there any intention to redo this map for the LoR launch?
    I ask because I just checked the mission out in the current TRIBBLE build and it's still the way it's always been.
    No problem for me...I get somewhat nostalgic walking the old "First City", but for new players this is going to be an unpleasant experience....

As far as I remember this map is supposed to show the "KDF Headquarters" (that's what it's called in the dialog) and not that same part of the First City which is the social hub.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kagasensei wrote: »
    As far as I remember this map is supposed to show the "KDF Headquarters" (that's what it's called in the dialog) and not that same part of the First City which is the social hub.

When you were beaming down to the old "First City" map, there were no fires or other signs of damage and no consoles in the room where the Chancellor is located.
    For this mission, those were added to the original map.
    Otherwise it's the old social map

Some of the names were slightly changed: the Great Hall is called both "Headquarters" as well as the Great Hall in this mission.
    (see the 3rd screenshot)

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/5267/bote001.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img15/6913/bote002.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img221/9628/bote003.jpg

However this is not a recent change but has always been this way in this mission.
    The Great Hall is also KDF headquarters in this game.
    That's why you get your promotions from the Chancellor.;)
    So you were orginally fighting in a seperate instance of the social map.
    And now you're fighting...in locations that are still called "Great Hall" and "First City" but are completely unfamiliar to you.

*EDIT: here's also the old "Great Hall" social map in the WIKI:
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/The_Great_Hall_of_Qo%27noS_%28pre-Season_4%29
    you'll see it's identical to the "KDF Headquarters" map*
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Continuity would be nice.......
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Continuity would be nice.......

Yeah, either that or at least constency.;)
    If they can't or won't change the map, they could at least remove any hint that this is...or rather was the First City and Great Hall.
    With a few changes in dialogue and map naming, it could clearly become a seperate place.
    Perhaps some kind of emergency bunker where the Chancellor is brought in case of an attack on the homeworld.