test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Someone attempted to change my email

rpg4everrpg4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
As the title said, i got an email tonight that said someone changed the email linked to this sight, i have since changed again the email its linked to, and the password to both here and both emails, but is there a way to tell cryptic who the offender was? i have the email that they switched it to saved, but i couldn't see anything saying how to actually try to report the attack, thanks for anyone who can help.
Post edited by rpg4ever on

Comments

• mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You aren't alone, this seems to be happening to more and more people.

Check your characters, because they might be gone.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rpg4ever wrote: »
    but is there a way to tell cryptic who the offender was?

Doesn't that email report which IP address was used for the change request? The IP address in itself won't tell you who actually tried to hack your account but it can be used to track down which computer was used in the attempt. That computer was probably remotely controlled by the actual hacker but it would be where a criminal investigation would begin if it were a serious crime.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cryptics rules work fine of paper, but in reality they should of jumped and stomped on the first sign of scammers and hackers because once that door is open, more will come in and it will become too much to handle.

in the end it could in effect create an adverse situation one day where half the community has been TRIBBLE and scammed of all their items and such and it would take an inordinate amount of time to resolve leading them to abandon the people who worked long enough over their toons, luckily for cryptic though that the accounts are rented, so all that entitlement concern is not their problem. the scammers and hackers win the day because of inflexibility.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • rpg4everrpg4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't that email report which IP address was used for the change request? The IP address in itself won't tell you who actually tried to hack your account but it can be used to track down which computer was used in the attempt. That computer was probably remotely controlled by the actual hacker but it would be where a criminal investigation would begin if it were a serious crime.

don't know if it had the ip, i'd have to look, but it does have there email, what i was wandering was, how do i contact them to tell them the problem and the email?
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right this is getting insane the amount of people this is happening to seems to be rather large.
    In ESD a LOT of people were talking about it >_>

Anyone reading this do yourself a favor make a STO only Email and change your password.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • rpg4everrpg4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

We take these situations very seriously. If you have received a notification that the email address on your PWE account was changed, and you were not the one who initiated the change, please take these steps to secure your account:
    1. Log into your account and change the email address back to something that you control.
    2. Change the password to something that is strong and unique.
    • The password should be between 6 and 14 characters.
    • A mixture of lowercase letters, uppercase letters, and numbers is recommended.
    • The password should NOT be the same as one you have used in the past or used on
    another account you have.
    3. Contact Customer Support if you need further assistance by sending an email directly to customerservice@perfectworld.com.
    • The subject line should read "Compromised Account".
    • Please include your PWE account name, in-game @Handle name, and original email address that was used when registering the account so we can quickly identify you.
    • Please send only one (1) ticket about this and avoid submitting duplicates.
    General guidelines to keep your account as secure as possible:
    • NEVER share your user name or password with anyone else.
    • NEVER use the same user name or password on multiple accounts.
    • NEVER visit sites advertising gold for sale in our games

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

We take these situations very seriously. If you have received a notification that the email address on your PWE account was changed, and you were not the one who initiated the change, please take these steps to secure your account:
    1. Log into your account and change the email address back to something that you control.
    2. Change the password to something that is strong and unique.
    • The password should be between 6 and 14 characters.
    • A mixture of lowercase letters, uppercase letters, and numbers is recommended.
    • The password should NOT be the same as one you have used in the past or used on
    another account you have.
    3. Contact Customer Support if you need further assistance by sending an email directly to customerservice@perfectworld.com.
    • The subject line should read "Compromised Account".
    • Please include your PWE account name, in-game @Handle name, and original email address that was used when registering the account so we can quickly identify you.
    • Please send only one (1) ticket about this and avoid submitting duplicates.
    General guidelines to keep your account as secure as possible:
    • NEVER share your user name or password with anyone else.
    • NEVER use the same user name or password on multiple accounts.
    • NEVER visit sites advertising gold for sale in our games

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

HA! beat you to it.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    May I add, don't click random links that people on Twitter direct message you.

Seems to be alot of those phishing links going around there also now.
    signwidrona.png
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Someone in our fleet has had this issue, e-mail was changed, then they changed his password. We've demoted them to level 1 and he informed us on our fleet forums but cryptic's response time and urgency seems far slower than advertised here.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seen a few of these threads pop up in recent days :confused:

Good advice posted so far :) A few other suggestions;
    Account Guard
    • If you're not already using PWE/Cryptic Account Guard, enable it.
    • Once enabled, it will send you an email whenever someone tries logging into your PWE/Cryptic account from a new browser/computer/device and includes the IP.
    • If you have it enabled already, check the list of saved browsers/computers, and clear it regularly.
    • To access Account Guard, click the My Account link in the Perfect World header at the top of every STO page.
    Email
    • If your email provider supports two-factor authentication, use it.
    • Add your STO email account to your phone, if it supports it. So you can be alerted sooner.
    Passwords
    As has been said already, make you passwords unique, long, strong, and change them regularly.

General Advice
    • Avoid using public/shared computers.
    • Don't use unsecured wireless networks (WiFis)
    • Tin-foil hats are useless, only Romulan helmets provide adaequate protection. :P

The best defence in thwarting these kind of attacks is good prevention, if that fails, being able to respond as quickly as possible is paramount.

Finally, a song about helmets (don't worry it's clean).
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I checked my junk mail the other day and to my shock there looks like a huge amount what looks like 'legit' emails from blizzard. some regard me being a rather unscrupulous player of some kind. gold seller etc. game hacking etc etc. also some regarding details being changed etc. the problem I have is I've never played a blizzard game. so how on earth did any one get my details!!?!?! I then started to worry that my details being misused on 1 game as an extremely unscrupulous character could effect me in another game, namely this 1. :s also should I contact blizzard about it? or should I not worry ??

it's a bit of a worry in the gaming world :( however I haven't have a problem with sto thankfully and hopefully it stays that way.
  • sasheriasasheria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    I checked my junk mail the other day and to my shock there looks like a huge amount what looks like 'legit' emails from blizzard. some regard me being a rather unscrupulous player of some kind. gold seller etc. game hacking etc etc. also some regarding details being changed etc. the problem I have is I've never played a blizzard game. so how on earth did any one get my details!!?!?! I then started to worry that my details being misused on 1 game as an extremely unscrupulous character could effect me in another game, namely this 1. :s also should I contact blizzard about it? or should I not worry ??

it's a bit of a worry in the gaming world :( however I haven't have a problem with sto thankfully and hopefully it stays that way.

usually these people get your email from either a "like" on Facebook, forum you may have sign up (which in many EULA you agree they CAN sell your email or use in promotion) a random mass spam, one of your friend mailing list was TRIBBLE. ETC ETC.

I usually don't trust it even if it tells me "your account is TRIBBLE, click here" I just close the mail and go the site directly (manually typing the url or my bookmark) and check it out.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Keep in mind that Cryptic/PWE's e-mail notifications can also be spoofed, so rather than clicking on any links present in the e-mail, go to the official web site and sign into your account, preferably from a PC or mobile phone other than your STO PC. This prevents key loggers that might be present on your PC from intercepting any subsequent changes that you make to your STO, e-mail, or any other account.
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    AV
    Firewall
    Malwarebytes
    Mailwasher

Mailwasher is great, lets you view / delete mail before you even download it to your machine so you can get rid of the TRIBBLE before you even download it onto your computer.