test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Legacy of Romulus Nimbus Arc Feedback Thread

salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
This thread will cover the entire Nimbus story arc, Nimbus Dailies, and Nimbus open world missions. Please leave all bugs, feedback, comments, and concerns here.

This content is only available to players in the Legacy of Romulus Closed beta.
Post edited by salamiinferno on

Comments

• averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reserved for posting when tribble comes back up :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Arrivial on my Level 50 Fed Engineer and the cutscene had me walk into the fort (to me, a slow casual walk than fast-walk would be better). And before the cut scene ended the writing "Paradise Lost" didn't pop on screen until the last second.

Talking to Jones, after talking dialogue talking about Hakeev appeared. How do we know who Hakeev is before the Romulan Featured Event? :confused:

Accolades:

Nimbus Dancing Contest Accolade - Haha, but not sure how I got it in the first place.

EDIT: Found that it glitched and someone else doing it, you get credit. Was pretty fun, though 20 hour cooldown.

* That platform, north of the ship would make an interesting accolade point.

Where is the "Tower of Nimbus?" Climbed all over the city and only found the watchtower and the bar ones.

Engine Accolade: Not Achievable - Kept running into invisbile walls and falling down holes under the world.

Ship Accolade: Not Achievable - kept running into invisible walls

Ruin Accolade - Invisible walls, unable to climb on the buildings.

After 3 hours of trying to find these, I gave up. Very frustrating.

Bugs:

Getting accolades and participating in events that you no nothing of.

Hole under the ship wreckage in the North that clips under the world.

Stuck between the tower and the top of the bar in Paradise City.

Problems / Suggestions:

BOFFS get stuck and lost a lot on Nimbus. Please add a "Transport BOFFS to my Location" function. (Which could be useful in other situations like in Foundry Missions).

Bartender doesn't allow you to sell, and the drinks that he sells are supposed to be hard-to-get. For example:

Tranya - supposed to be Rare Drop or gotten via the El Aurian Bartender (Very Rare Mission), you selling for 20 EC

Blood Wine - Uncommon drop, or bought on Qo'nos for far more than 20 EC. Also able to get with a Rare or Very Rare Klingon Bartender DOFF.

So not fair to those who spent time earning those DOFFS. And doesn't hurt for you guys to actually create new drinks.

Mission Summary:

Blind men Tell No Tales: You know about Hakeev and then later in the Wasteland Arc you have no Idea who he is. Basically it was go here-kill. There were some cute parts like buying rounds for everyone in the bar, but really it was very weak storywise.

The Undying: Absolutely does not make sense that you fight your way to Hassan's place then they let you in like nothing happened.

Add one or two manned turrets NPCs for the Orion Fort to make it feel more defensive.

The Bar, it's funny this is more of a bar than all the time wasted revamping Drozana. I can't phathom the enviromental team put so much effort to make a convincing Bar and do a very poor job with the new Drozana.

The Collesium Fight was okay, but you need to add cheering and jeering in the background to add ambiance. More Traps being activated with each round, like the fire pit, would really add to the challenge. (BTW, Hassan almost immediately fell into the fire pit and got stuck. I went after him, dieing in the process since he wasn't getting injured.).

Bar Fight was interesting but have no idea why half the bar would be shooting at one another. After all, isn't it a Orion Syndicate base, not a bar downtown, where gang fights happen?

Space Fight........I have no idea why I was helping those other ships or why the Orions were attacking them.

Fist Full of Gorn: Nice classic western motiff at the start. But why were we cutting the same cables multiple times? And why were the wires running away from the Satelite dishes that we were supposed to be connected to them?

BTW, BOFFs really get stuck in this area. Hence, the above request.

Installation 18: This the "hiding in plain site thing" for a secret base? :P

And for a Tal Shiar base, we get in awfully easy. The Front Door was effectively unlocked (which is even odder given the unlawfulness of the world we are on) and unguarded.

Design was interesting and we finally get to see the Elachi and it ends up being the clicking aliens that abducted Riker in TNG. Though was thinking Dewans since they looked more like the STO Elachi than the clicker Aliens. Kind of hard to link the two outside of aductions with the TNG and Enterprise having two different methods.

And rescuing Slamek.... yay. Just funny that we magically don't remember him again in Colliseum (character-wise). Or playing as a Romulan, not remembering him from Crateris. :rolleyes:

BTW, BOFFS having the Romulan Bridge background in dialogues.

Summary: All in all, I like how Nimbus felt more like classic sandbox, and you taking some of the queues with Holocron finding from TOR in finding accolades. Which is fun, but you actually have to have those accolades more intuitive to find.

Storyline is bland, really doesn't fit in. It obviously was tailored for Romulans and last-minute thrown together and shoe-horned for Federation and Klingon players to feel like they weren't left out of the expansion. There are so many plot holes like storyline continuity with Hakeev and Slamek, and no real explaination with the Orions other than "we got the goodz". So it makes this arc terribly implemented.

IMHO, I would delay launch of LoR to fix these flaws. Because it really felt it was just slapped together at the last moment than a coherant part of the STO storyline.
  • daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For non- Warbird pilots any chance on changing the sing core to a WC as reward for last quest in chain?

And yes I realize the sing core is boaccount but not everyone's gonna play an elf.
  • ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The chain of mission is odd, it has a definitive Firefly /Borderlands theme but the missions on fed side seems assume I am a Romulan.

Examples:
    In the Bar my tactical officer (a Caitian btw.) suddenly assumed he is Tovan Khev and asked for his sister.

The Orion pirates seem to have no problems with Starfleet officers, wearing Starfleet uniforms walking into their little den. After the arena fight there is no option to free the prisoners (which would any starfleet officer make his/her top priority). I would also recommend to make "Law" a security officer, which is much more appropriate then a projectile weapon officer.

Then inside the Tal Shiar my science officer talks about the Elachi they have seen a few times since Virinat, which is correct for the Romulan mission chain, but not for the Starfleet missions. Also as a reward I get an uncommon singularity warp core which only romulan vessels can use, so please change the reward into an M/AM core. At least my Caitian is now happy to have his "sister" back despite not even being of the same species. I think I will have to send him off to a mental facility soon.

Edit:

We were also promised we would be able to blow up the planet...

Aunt Edith again:
    I don't think a Nimbus Pirate distress call is what any Starfleet officer should be using.
  • rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    agreed on the part of getting into the base.

It's the courtyard that has me a little baffled. There are an Orion task giver and a heavy nausican present. this along with the spawn times makes that part of the mission kind of hard.

and secondly, why is that the same Nausican has an explosive that can drop me in one go, much like a Tholian?and what is it with that Orion lunge? the guy also drops me in two or three tries.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I signaled Law in the first mission, the game crashed. Several seconds later, the Cryptic error tool crashed as well.

I don't think the last bit had anything to do with anything, but it was amusing enough to warrant a mention.
  • crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a complaint about the senses of some of the enemies. I was using a stealth module and was about 16 meters from the nausican guard captain and he still could see me well enough to throw a one shot grenade at me, my boff's were closer and visible.
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Wasteland chain was a very entertaining set of missions. "Law" was very interesting as a character, good job on him.

As others have said, there are serious pathing issues with Boffs. You have to keep your officers on leash monkeys or you wind up in a fight alone somewhere. No fights feel over the top - though I played it first on my Vice Admiral with a well geared away team, so I'm not sure how a 'fair' ground team would do, I'll re-level a Romulan and try it again.

In Installation 18, when capturing the Romulan 'ally', the cutscene glitches and all my away team becomes clones of my captain. Very immersion breaking.

All in all, excellent job though.
  • salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Good feedback here, keep it coming.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Definitely some issue with mixed up faction dialog.

I was playing as a Fed, but my tac officer was excited to have finally found his sister, which I'm assuming is meant to be Tovan's dialog. My officers were also discussing if we were lucky enough to kill him "this time," but in campaign progression this is the first time a Fed or KDF captain has met Hakeev, only Romulans have had previous cracks at him.

Also, as hails were coming in to various forces joining the brawl, the Federation contact also talked about freeing my people from the Tal'Shiar, which I also think is Romulan dialog.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did that dance mission at the club once, then got the accolade about 10 minutes later. looks like other people attempting it can give it to you?
  • gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once you have finished the arena fight in "The Undying", the trigger for the automatic door to exit the arena area is too close to the door -- when it swings open, it knocks me to the side of the ramp. I was able to exit by approaching the door and quickly crouching, but the trigger can stand to be moved back in any case.

As has been noted, several of the missions in the chain has dialogue that assumes a Romulan perspective.

I also agree that there ought to be a choice of either a Singularity or a M/AM warp core from the Installation 18 mission.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good feedback here, keep it coming.

Please tell us you are planning a day-night cycle for Nimbus?!?! Imagine those moons sitting in the sky (and Uhura dancing in front of them^^). If that would really be the case, I would retract my following feedback:

The lighting on Nimbus is very un-atmospheric. Either the map needs more haze (compare to Vulcan-map), or what I mentioned above ;)
  • cehuscehus Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On "revelation" the d'deredex you encounter at anomaly charlie is using the skin of the Kestrel Shuttle.
    Cehus.png
  • bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bug 1: Romulan Storyline references for Fed Captains.
    A one of my female tactical BOFFs started to take on Tovans persona, and ask for her sister.

Bug 2: There are Pathing issues for BOFFs
    The Bridge officers that beamed down got stuck.
    Bug 2a: Jumping off the Wall out of Paradise City caused one of my Boffs to get stuck running at the railing, as she Transported in.
    Bug 2b: Certain Users BOFFs just stood behind the gates.
    Bug 2c: After building a Cover Shield, my Engineer BOFF just started running against it. He Only stopped to rebuild it in the exact same place after the Cooldown had gone. In many cases I could walk behind him and he'd return to his "normal following location"

Bug 3: Only a single captain can use Law's Console, at any one time. This will be an issue for first few weeks as everyone will be visiting the "Planet of Galactic Peace" and doing their missions.
    edited May 2013
    kagasensei wrote: »
    Please tell us you are planning a day-night cycle for Nimbus?!?! Imagine those moons sitting in the sky (and Uhura dancing in front of them^^). If that would really be the case, I would retract my following feedback:

The lighting on Nimbus is very un-atmospheric. Either the map needs more haze (compare to Vulcan-map), or what I mentioned above ;)

Which reminds me, wonder where that dune supposed to be? :confused:

But nice idea with the day/night cycle.
  • jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Several things:

1.) BOFFs either get stuck or just stop a lot of the times.

2.) When you finish the "Blind Man"(2nd) mission, is there some way the the NPC enemies can stop shooting at you? I had to respawn 5 times just to get to the door at the end and I only got there because I leveled up and got full heath again.

3.)Are the rewards for the missions just placeholders for the real ones or are they what will be on holodeck? If they are the real ones, they are pretty pathetic, especially if this is supposed to be "featured episode" series. You should have something from ST V like the phasers from the movie, combat uniforms, or the much wanted jet boots.

4.) If any area is asking for mounts, this one is. Have you guys thought about adding ride-able horses in just this zone to cut down travel?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Which reminds me, wonder where that dune supposed to be? :confused:

But nice idea with the day/night cycle.

It's out by the comm array.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited May 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It's out by the comm array.

Beyond the invisible wall? :confused:

Also, curious about the history of the crashed ship and the ruins. Hope someday we get to learn more.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Well the dancing quest doesnt really work too well because ... its either typing command or using that emote submenu that is not exactly fast and its timed.

I am sorry but unless you make emotes accessible by icons on the toolbar this is just not working ...

Use the Chat menu in the lower right, go to the emote section and pin it open so it stays open.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First let me say KUDO's for having male dancers in Shangdu. For those of us who are TRIBBLE or female, it gets old seeing the same scantly clad women in every game.

1) During the sequence where you are supposed to kill worms or scan consoles, I never saw a console to scan.

2) The Prison sequence. Its a mess BO-wise. They cant get in an out of the cells without micromanging them. Often the door would close behind me and the BOs would still be on the outside. Or one or two would get in. My suggestion is that once a door is interacted with it should respawn until AFTER you have beamed the prisoners out. This also saves you the hassle of rehacking it.

3) The BOs also had pathing issues between the prison and Shangdu. They seemed to get stuck. Sometimes I think respawns were aggroing

4) While I like the idea of a zone where we can have a BOs out and show them off, it was tarnished by the fact every other person had the same one. It also made some fights confusing because you couldnt always tell if that was your Satre or someone elses or you think its your crew and theyve been stopped dead at the bottom of the hill by a rock

5) The voice overs stopped. YEAH!

6) About every person on the planet is an Andorian with a ponytail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited May 2013
    You know,
    use the opportunity of the orion base to setup a tailor there that sells all kinds of outrageous outfit parts for a high cost, metal bikini, skirts, high heels, collars and so on for everyone to use. Or other outfits that can't be gotten usually by your captain due to faction or race restrictions. This is the perfect place for it.
    Especially if you turn that place into a social zone.
    edited May 2013
    Fist Full of Gorn.

The canyon seems problematic for BO pathing

(and Kudos for not putting a damn scarf on Law)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013

or open PVP. how many social areas do people need?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    First let me say KUDO's for having male dancers in Shangdu. For those of us who are TRIBBLE or female, it gets old seeing the same scantly clad women in every game.

Yeah, when I saw that I was like 'omg' and told everyone on the accolade channel and they were like :eek: - "screenshots!" :rolleyes:

Though when I saw the cat pole dancer, I was expecting the 3-breasted cat from Star Trek V. :D
    You know,
    use the opportunity of the orion base to setup a tailor there that sells all kinds of outrageous outfit parts for a high cost, metal bikini, skirts, high heels, collars and so on for everyone to use. Or other outfits that can't be gotten usually by your captain due to faction or race restrictions. This is the perfect place for it.

That's a good idea. Especially if we had it as a Latinum shop, and increasing it's value.
    or open PVP. how many social areas do people need?

Another good idea, would be a good open PvP zone given all the terrain players could hide. They could copy the map and give players to beam down to the Adventure / Mission Instances or beam down to a Open PvP map, which has different objectives.
  • jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I did not enjoy these episodes at all. The way they are strung together makes it seem like one L-O-N-G drawn out mission and honestly had me wondering if maybe the developer just didn't know how to end an episode. As much as I love STO I dropped these episodes and leveled up by repeating previous episodes.
    Most combat scenes were a confusing mess with everyone's away teams doing the same missions. NOT fun at all. hmmm, who's BOFF's was who's?????
    You guys were doing great till these Nimbus ones, and I'm not even mentioning the over done Elachi Episodes yet.
  • aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Played through the arc with my Romulan 25? as it is designed for that level and have to say I find it mediocre and totally unbalanced.

The greatest issue is that the BoFF pathing is the worst I have ever encountered on a map in 3 years. Even Caves of Bajor way not that buggy.

The missions start lightly, thats good but get insanely difficult and frustrating in the final 3.

When you are to reach the camp you have to fight through a whole map area on your own against numerous NPCs which is just insane. If there is no other player you will simply fail to reach the inner courtyard where you have to kill over and over again groups repetitevely which I not slightly found amusing and enhancing my gameplay experience.

The search for Hassan for example turns into a nightmare. The Arena fight is fine, but again with the equipment you have on the intended level it is far beyond doable without dying x times. The Ferasan Champion can one shot you with her pounce and if you survive that the Nanoplasma Bat'leth will do the rest. In addition she comes with heavy Gorn guards -.-

After the Arena the whole map turns into a mess. Every single NPC is flagged hostile and you simply can shoot everyone there. My leftover BoFFs went insane and pulled half the map dying numerous times.

The Nausican Raider Captain after the door is the worst. Chain-mezzing permanently one-shot blasting over and over again.

These need to be tuned down a little bit. I understand that Nimbus is an adventure Zone, but including a whole story arc in an open world map is just PITA.

Consider itemization advancement for the intended level range of those missions and tune things down a lot. ATM I would say it is not nearly of the quality level of the other missions of LoR. Final grade: E from me on this.
  • daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm unsure if respawn timers need to be tweaked. Every one and his brother is gonna be there doing the missions for the 1st few days/weeks. Maybe wait a bit to down-tune respawn?
    edited May 2013
    I've never met Rhinna Khev.

There is no reason for me to ask her if she remembers me.

Seems the writer forgot I was in the story and decided I should just play as Tovan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its kind of strange, but when I was playing that arc yesterday I had the weiird feeling that some parts of those missions would be great fleet actions in some form or another.

Then again, Nimbus is suffering from bad npc pathing.....so that could explain it.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why does Tovan want to take Rinna back to the flotilla? New Romulus is closer and an actual home.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.