test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Asynchronous Warp Field - very annoying sound effect

ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
The new sound effect is hard to describe but feels to be lower in frequency and very annoying for anyone using an engine with this field (MACO).

I would appreciate if this new sound would not be used when LoR goes live. Thank you.
Post edited by ascaladar on

Comments

• autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hit (U) to to your status window.
    Select Ship on left side.
    Click on "eyeball" icon beside ship part you do not want to display (and hear) in game, just like you would on your captain to "turn off" a piece of gear you don't want showing on the costume. The item is still "present" and affecting your stats and performance ... it just isn't being included in the costuming (and sound FX) produced by that costuming on screen any more.

That said, if there's some sort of Beat Cancellation (sound engineers ought to know what this means) going on putting the sine waves of two different costume pieces in "conflict" with each other, then yes ... that IS something that needs to be addressed, and is something that should be fairly simple to isolate, reproduce, test, adjust, etc.
  • neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not a conflict, they actually added a sound effect to the transwarp bubble when going over warp 10.

It's a little strange and took some getting used to but personally i really like it. and it reality it probably should make a sound like that, it sounds very spacy.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • chi1701dchi1701d Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neok182 wrote: »
    It's not a conflict, they actually added a sound effect to the transwarp bubble when going over warp 10.

It's a little strange and took some getting used to but personally i really like it. and it reality it probably should make a sound like that, it sounds very spacy.

Spacey, hmmm, aint space got no sound at all?
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chi1701d wrote: »

Auditory emulators ftw.
  • istvaanshogaatsuistvaanshogaatsu Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Click on "eyeball" icon beside ship part you do not want to display (and hear) in game, just like you would on your captain to "turn off" a piece of gear you don't want showing on the costume. The item is still "present" and affecting your stats and performance ... it just isn't being included in the costuming (and sound FX) produced by that costuming on screen any more.

That said, if there's some sort of Beat Cancellation (sound engineers ought to know what this means) going on putting the sine waves of two different costume pieces in "conflict" with each other, then yes ... that IS something that needs to be addressed, and is something that should be fairly simple to isolate, reproduce, test, adjust, etc.

You get an eyeball option on your ship fitting screen? I don't have one.
  • ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the info, but I do not want to disable the visuals, I want to have the sound removed as it is one of the types that is bound to cause headaches.
  • neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chi1701d wrote: »

Touche. ;)
    ACCESS DENIED
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ascaladar wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, but I do not want to disable the visuals, I want to have the sound removed as it is one of the types that is bound to cause headaches.

If you disable the visuals it should also disable the sound.
  • ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    If you disable the visuals it should also disable the sound.

That was mentioned before and is still totally beside the point. I don't like the new sound effect, not the visual effect.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ascaladar wrote: »
    That was mentioned before and is still totally beside the point. I don't like the new sound effect, not the visual effect.

So if you don't like the sound effect, turn off the visuals and the sound effect is gone.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They took out the ability to disable visuals. :(
  • smidgysmidgy Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They took out the ability to disable visuals. :(

Actually, they have on some things, but not on others. As an example, I have my VA Engineer decked out with the Nukara set, and I can now only disable the shield visuals, but not anything else, but, if I equip the Aegis set, all parts of that still have the 'Disable Visuals' option. I'm guessing this is an error by somebody, so I would think that, when this hits Holodeck, the ability to disable visuals will be present and correct.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    smidgy wrote: »
    Actually, they have on some things, but not on others. As an example, I have my VA Engineer decked out with the Nukara set, and I can now only disable the shield visuals, but not anything else, but, if I equip the Aegis set, all parts of that still have the 'Disable Visuals' option. I'm guessing this is an error by somebody, so I would think that, when this hits Holodeck, the ability to disable visuals will be present and correct.

It could be some pre-work on their efforts to move more visuals for ground sets to the tailors instead of them being attached to actual items.
  • cgjannekcgjannek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Idea of a special sound effect is quite nice actually... only the particular one they picked reminds me of the Cessna in Flight Simulator more than anything else