test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plz Help The Automated Def Turret

zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
Dear Cryptic,

The Automated Defense Turret that came with the Digital Deluxe Edition of STO looked pretty sweet - until you realized it only goes in a Tac console slot. Most ship captains would be considered a N.O.O.B. (Newly Out Of Boot) if they used this console in lieu of damage-boosting consoles. At the time, this was the only automatic point-defense in STO. Now there's the Point Defense System and the Torpedo Point Defense System universal consoles, both of which are superior choices due to their universal nature and damage dealt.

I recommend making the Automated Defense Turret a universal console as well. This would greatly increase its utility. While both of the newer point defense system consoles do much more damage, that damage comes with significant CD durations (both are 3 minutes). The ADT's minimal damage could use a boost only vs projectiles/fighters similar to the point defense system console, but not much (so maybe x5 instead of x10). Otherwise the ADT would be useless in Borg red alerts.

Additionally, I suggest the ADT plasma damage get boosted by plasma infusers, if it doesn't already.

Sincerely,

A Concerned ADT Owner
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
Post edited by zordar01 on

Comments

• jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /Signed and agreed. It is a great utility console, and very early game can still be very useful, but it's a huge waste of a tac slot after level 30 or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well... when you don't have a PDS, the ADT isn't such a bad thing if you're not going for a DPS build. As a Sci, I hate the idea of giving up Sci console slots even though it usually makes sense to do it that way.

As much as I agree with the sentiment about making the ADT universal, I can't see them going back and changing that item.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, the ADT was useful up til F2P, where it could take out an incoming Heavy Plasma Torpedoes (doesn't anymore) and in PvP it was handy sniffing out cloaked ships that was about to ambush you (up til it was fixed).

So it really does need some modernizing.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The ADT is only useful up until endgame really. As already said, giving up a tac console slot for it renders it mostly useless..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,873 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zordar01 wrote: »
    Dear Cryptic,

The Automated Defense Turret that came with the Digital Deluxe Edition of STO looked pretty sweet - until you realized it only goes in a Tac console slot. Most ship captains would be considered a N.O.O.B. (Newly Out Of Boot) if they used this console in lieu of damage-boosting consoles. At the time, this was the only automatic point-defense in STO. Now there's the Point Defense System and the Torpedo Point Defense System universal consoles, both of which are superior choices due to their universal nature and damage dealt.

I recommend making the Automated Defense Turret a universal console as well. This would greatly increase its utility. While both of the newer point defense system consoles do much more damage, that damage comes with significant CD durations (both are 3 minutes). The ADT's minimal damage could use a boost only vs projectiles/fighters similar to the point defense system console, but not much (so maybe x5 instead of x10). Otherwise the ADT would be useless in Borg red alerts.

Additionally, I suggest the ADT plasma damage get boosted by plasma infusers, if it doesn't already.

Sincerely,

A Concerned ADT Owner

I to agree it would be nice if they updated it and if I recall I believe it is boosted by plasma infusers.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2013
    Given its current state is it to weak as universal console as well. If it is not buffed up considerably, make it a device.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Given its current state is it to weak as universal console as well. If it is not buffed up considerably, make it a device.

I support more devices.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How about this gents (and ladies):

Keep the ADT as a Tac Console item.

Boost its abilities, namely for endgame. How about the idea of a scaling console?

Lastly, in boosting it, it cannot approach the overall power of the newer point defense universal consoles. Remember, the ADT is completely automated and seeks out targets free of your inputs, which is a nice thing in the middle of combat that allows you to focus on other things.
    XzRTofz.gif