test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How is the Romulus faction anyways?

picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
Hey captains, I have been away for a while.

I'm curious, is the Romulus faction worth coming back for? Really that much more new content or ships or things like that?
Post edited by picardtheiii on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Most of us won't know until May 21st. :)

There's a lot of new mechanics being added to the game - such as Singularity cores and warp cores. Plus the KDF are also getting level 1 to 50 content at the same time. So there's a lot going on with this next update.

What I've seen of LoR on YouTube looks interesting. I know I'm looking forward to trying it next month.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey captains, I have been away for a while.

I'm curious, is the Romulus faction worth coming back for? Really that much more new content or ships or things like that?

Is it worth coming back for, well I can't answer that, since I'm not sure why you left.

Added is an entire new faction, but it appears only about half of their content is brand new. The rest are the same old missions, including the Vault, Cardassian Space, the Devidians, and the Borg.

Klingons are being moved to a full faction, with some new content, but again it appears only half will be new and the rest the same old Klingon Missions we ran before. Which of course makes sense.

End game, we get a new grind in the form of Nukera (anti-tholian) Reputation, for yet more gear that I won't be using since I've already got Borg and New Romulus stuff, but if that's your thing, doing the same missions over and over for months on end, then this is for you.

So basically all told, some new mechanics, a bit of new storylines, and a new end game grind.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Added is an entire new faction, but it appears only about half of their content is brand new. The rest are the same old missions, including the Vault, Cardassian Space, the Devidians, and the Borg.
    Let's keep in mind that the content you're describing is mostly at level 40+ for Roms. The things Roms are doing at levels 1-40 is mostly new - including some new areas that aren't even on Tribble yet - such as Nimbus.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Let's keep in mind that the content you're describing is mostly at level 40+ for Roms. The things Roms are doing at levels 1-40 is mostly new - including some new areas that aren't even on Tribble yet - such as Nimbus.

True, but part of that is the Vault missions as well, I think if I remember right started around 35ish or so. But I'll conceed, that the Romulan stuff may be more then half.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's still a work in progress.

What I will say is that the Romulan tutorial certainly raises the bar for storytelling in STO. If you like story and having bridge officers that you'll get attached to, then yes, things are shaping up very nicely.

Beyond that, I don't really want to say much. Most of the content is still being worked on and there are still large portions of it that are not unlocked for closed beta testers yet. What is available for testing now, may or may not be that way when LoR goes live.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Closed Beta is restricted to level 20 for Romulan missions at the moment. Some of the missions are far better than the current missions. KDF gets a bunch of new missions and some of the Cardassian and Borg missions which were limited to Feds. The Feds only get a new story arc that everyone gets. Essentially Feds get the short end of the stick for this expansion.
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    What I will say is that the Romulan tutorial certainly raises the bar for storytelling in STO. If you like story and having bridge officers that you'll get attached to, then yes, things are shaping up very nicely.

Yep. I might be "forced" to buy extra BOff slots when LoR comes out just so I can keep my original four BOffs. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not sure if it is intentional, but those unique bridge officers with a decent origin story seem to be non-customizable.
  • Options
    romulanwayromulanway Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    it is not new faction,it is new content & playable species for KDF & Fed
    LoR should to be about rebuilding Romulan Star Empire,liberating Donatra from borg collective ,confronting Sela & madness of Tal Shiar,claiming Vulcan as new romulan homeworld...
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not sure if it is intentional, but those unique bridge officers with a decent origin story seem to be non-customizable.

the KDF/ FED ones you acquire later are customizable, so i suppose that is just a "work in progress issue"
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You get more Romulan BO that you can customize later, also Tovan has been turned Purple since he's the only one you can't dismiss.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »

I have been thoroughly enjoying the Romulan content in beta so far, but I too will not give spoilers here. :)

The Boff aspect is one I have mixed feelings about. See, I already have bridge officers that I am attached to; I create them and their backstories myself, just like I do with my captains. My Boffs are part of the personality of my ship and crew.

Having pregenerated Boffs is interesting at first as part of the story (and I am all about story in MMOs), but I hope they will not be necessary to keep on every Romulan character I make.

Each of my captains has their own distinct bridge crew. That is a great part of the fun for me in STO; that is, I can create my own story within the larger STO story and universe.
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    You get more Romulan BO that you can customize later, also Tovan has been turned Purple since he's the only one you can't dismiss.

So we are required to keep one of the pregenerated Boffs on all of our Romulan characters. Nerts. At least it's only one and I can see the value of the character from a story standpoint.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    So we are required to keep one of the pregenerated Boffs on all of our Romulan characters. Nerts. At least it's only one and I can see the value of the character from a story standpoint.

Well maybe down the road IF you find his sister then you can dismiss him.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am sure the first four cannot be changed because they are characters that are part of the story as you escape your doomed colony. And I did get a few other Rom BOffs that you could change.

The "Tutorial" does not feel like a tutorial. Very well done.
    Wish I could have gotten familiar with my farming colony before Hakeev came all BillyBadAss.

The missions I feel, are very well done. Although they do need to get an intern to go thru all the dialogue and document all the spelling and grammar errors so the Devs can fix them.

I chose KDF as my alliance, and immediately all my BOffs started using "Qapla" in every sentence (not cool).

I have yet to try the KDF Thread of missions, so cannot speak to that.

I wouldn't mind going thru it again. Not sure if I delete my toon from Tribble if it would let me create another Romulan.

If the new "Tutorail" Missions for KDF are as good as the Rom ones; I shall give a tip of the hat to Cryptic.

Not sure if all existing missions are getting a LoR "makeover". Would be nice, but am not getting my hopes up.

All you "freaks" that hang at Drozana are gonna have a hard time finding a dark corner to hide in.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »

You're required to keep him yes, but you're not required to use him. You'll be able to get plenty of old-fashioned boffs, including Romulan and Reman ones.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    tatyanasergeitatyanasergei Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've played through the first 21 levels of the new faction three times, and I can say with total certainty that this may just be the best story content Cryptic has ever put out. I am extremely impressed, and waiting with baited breath to see the rest of the faction's story.
    romulanway wrote: »
    it is not new faction,it is new content & playable species for KDF & Fed

I get so effing tired of hearing this.

Does it have more than one arc of faction-only mission? Yes.
    Does it have the ability to level only with Romulan-specific content? Yes.
    Does it have ships unique to the faction? Yes.

I am disappointed about the lack of Romulan faction fleets too, but quit blowing it out of proportion. I've been beta testing, and so far I think the new Romulan faction is a helluva lot more fun than the other two. The campaign is pretty epic, and our singularity cores will be an interesting mechanic to learn- The Feds and KDF can say neither of those things, at the moment. The ONLY thing you gain via the alliance is access to Tier 4 and lower ships for consoles, and some of your allies' gear via the fleet system. That's all.
    Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
    Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester
    "The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."