test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hobus Forgiveness or Forgetfulness?

digitalhavoc2112digitalhavoc2112 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
I cannot wait for LoR to arrive! All I have seen and read points to a phenomenal and dramatic expansion of the STO universe. Well done, Cryptic!

There is one nagging detail that I have yet to see resolved (and maybe it is in LoR). According to the Path to 2409, in 2387, it was known Hobus was becoming unstable and Spock and Picard petitioned the Vulcan Science Academy for help to quell Hobus before it exploded. They were turned down flat and, in essence, left Romulus to die. How will LoR handle this? It would seem to me Romulus could never forgive the Federation for abandoning them. What would be the premise for the survivors to either forgive, or never find out in the first place, what the Federation did (or didn't do). It was only Spock acting alone that stopped the supernova from engulfing the rest of the quadrant. Granted, the Romulan Senate did not want to go ask their long lost brethren for help, but nonetheless, I think the Federation had an obligation to help, and they sat on their hands.

So I've been perplexed with the sudden, willing alliance between D'Tan and the new Romulan Republic, and the Federation. Did the survivors forgive the Federation's betrayal, forget, or did they never know?
Post edited by digitalhavoc2112 on

Comments

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Vulcans did not help feds did it is how spock got the jelly ship
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First it's important to understand that the Federation cannot just go into the Romulan Empire and do whatever it wants. They couldn't "invade" Romulan space to try and deal with what was going on at Hobus. They would have needed to be asked by the Romulan government or else face a war. So I can't see how any of the Reunificationists would feel anger toward the Federation because of what happened.

It's also important to understand that D'Tan and his people were the outsiders within Romulan society. They were the group influenced by Spock's 19 years of reunification teaching, but they were not the majority of Romulans - nor in the majority opinion. Most Romulans just like things the way they were - with possibly a little less Tal Shiar/KGB fear.

I could see where D'Tans group might hold some anger toward Vulcan for not helping, but this is the reunificationist group. They're the ones who wanted to get back with the Vulcans so they might be overlooking the slight as trying to understand Vulcans' logic.

D'Tan is also just trying to survive in the wilderness against foes on every side. They're taking aid from anyone who will give it as they try to separate themselves from the Empire - which is why they have alliances with the Federation and the Klingon Empire. Right now they're in survival mode. Pointing fingers mode generally comes long after the danger has passed. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    I cannot wait for LoR to arrive! All I have seen and read points to a phenomenal and dramatic expansion of the STO universe. Well done, Cryptic!

There is one nagging detail that I have yet to see resolved (and maybe it is in LoR). According to the Path to 2409, in 2387, it was known Hobus was becoming unstable and Spock and Picard petitioned the Vulcan Science Academy for help to quell Hobus before it exploded. They were turned down flat and, in essence, left Romulus to die. How will LoR handle this? It would seem to me Romulus could never forgive the Federation for abandoning them. What would be the premise for the survivors to either forgive, or never find out in the first place, what the Federation did (or didn't do). It was only Spock acting alone that stopped the supernova from engulfing the rest of the quadrant. Granted, the Romulan Senate did not want to go ask their long lost brethren for help, but nonetheless, I think the Federation had an obligation to help, and they sat on their hands.

So I've been perplexed with the sudden, willing alliance between D'Tan and the new Romulan Republic, and the Federation. Did the survivors forgive the Federation's betrayal, forget, or did they never know?

The Hobus ... Hocus pocus ... story never made any sense to me. The sooner they get past it to the new conflict the better. But you make a good point OP. The Romulans would never forgive the Feds or let themselves become servants of the Feds or Klinks. Now if they are just gathering their strength waiting for the right moment to strike back then that would be cool. D'tan needs to be assassinated by Tal'shiar ASAP!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    mwgacy1mwgacy1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Hobus ... Hocus pocus ... story never made any sense to me. The sooner they get past it to the new conflict the better. But you make a good point OP. The Romulans would never forgive the Feds or let themselves become servants of the Feds or Klinks. Now if they are just gathering their strength waiting for the right moment to strike back then that would be cool. D'tan needs to be assassinated by Tal'shiar ASAP!

Unless you run the mission in the Hobus system (with either a Federation or Romulan character) and find out why the Hobus star was unstable in the first place. Even if the Federation didn't help them, the blame lies a lot closer to home for the problems the Romulan's face.
  • Options
    admiralgillisadmiralgillis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Vulcans did eventually help them, after being convinced by Ambassador Picard.

The Vulcan part in it was processing the decalithium into red matter. The Jellyfish was actually given to Spock by the Daystrom Institute, and built by Geordi.

The Vulcans and the Feds did help. They just got there too late.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    mwgacy1 wrote: »
    Unless you run the mission in the Hobus system (with either a Federation or Romulan character) and find out why the Hobus star was unstable in the first place. Even if the Federation didn't help them, the blame lies a lot closer to home for the problems the Romulan's face.

Played the FE and it is still not a good story. It makes no sense to have Romulans help the Iconians in creating a supernova that kills billions of their people and cripple their empire. That's not evil it is plain stupid.

Oh and btw the very idea of an explosion traveling faster than light and expanding infinitely in all direction while maintaining enough intensity to obliterate star systems is physically impossible and logically ludicrous.

Here is a better setup...

Iconians secretly destabilize the Romulans sun ... The Romulans see their dying sun and ask for help from Feds / Spock. This leads to warmer relations in the short term. Spock fails to pull off the fix and the Romulans become embittered after they evacuate, people scatter. Some of the Romulans are approached by the Ionians, offered assistance and the opportunity to get vengeance on those who failed to help them ... Held them back. Other Romulans are more peaceful and are caught in the middle of the conflict.

There you go Cryptic ... No need to thank me... The bill is in the mail. :D
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oh and btw the very idea of an explosion traveling faster than light and expanding infinitely in all direction while maintaining enough intensity to obliterate star systems is physically impossible and logically ludicrous.
    As I understand it the bomb was exploded in subspace - thus it could travel faster then light. Essentially it was moving at warp 10 from Hobus outward.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    all of this come back on one person JJ i cant hate cryptic for a bad story when the one who started it had a bad story
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    As I understand it the bomb was exploded in subspace - thus it could travel faster then light. Essentially it was moving at warp 10 from Hobus outward.

When plot fails rely on techno babble. <sad face>

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Now you've just described well over 50% of the 736 Trek episodes. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    all of this come back on one person JJ i cant hate cryptic for a bad story when the one who started it had a bad story

I agree ... which is why I would leave JJ'S Abrams story in the pile of refuse where it belongs. ... I am sorry the story is all good because juvenile Kirk drives a 60s car off a canyon because he is mad at his stepfather ... or is it father.

It is all better now ... :rolleyes: ...

We lost Vulcan and Romulas so that hack could get his reboot. It is not a good trade off.

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Now you've just described well over 50% of the 736 Trek episodes. :)

A fail story is a fail story ... No matter who created it. At least we didn't have other writers take a dump on 40 years of Star Trek to make an episode. It shows that JJ did not respect the material he was working with.

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Let's not turn this into another "I HATE THE NEW TREK" thread. They go no where, and this thread really isn't about JJ.
  • Options
    bronzesilencebronzesilence Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let's not turn this into another "I HATE THE NEW TREK" thread. They go no where, and this thread really isn't about JJ.

Seriously. People need to grow up.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I agree ... which is why I would leave JJ'S Abrams story in the pile of refuse where it belongs. ... I am sorry the story is all good because juvenile Kirk drives a 60s car off a canyon because he is mad at his stepfather ... or is it father.

It is all better now ... :rolleyes: ...

We lost Vulcan and Romulas so that hack could get his reboot. It is not a good trade off.

if i was CBS i take every thing from JJ movie that is canon and get rid of it like 2 month old food
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    But they are so fun :rolleyes:

Ok, I am done. I only bought it up in relation OP confusion. It is hard to fix the logical inconsistency because of the root problem. I have yet to read a satisfying resolution.

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A fail story is a fail story ... No matter who created it. At least we didn't have other writers take a dump on 40 years of Star Trek to make an episode. It shows that JJ did not respect the material he was working with.

Yet even as the complaining rolls off your tongue, here you are, having played through the aftermath of that story.

Why are you here, if it is so unpalatable? Why do you consume more of something that you think is so bad?
  • Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    if i was CBS i take every thing from JJ movie that is canon and get rid of it like 2 month old food

If you were CBS, you'd take any residuals from Paramount, and nod your head and smile for any proposed sequel, because it pads your bank account.

Which is, shockingly, exactly what happened.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    mattimeo97 wrote: »
    Yet even as the complaining rolls off your tongue, here you are, having played through the aftermath of that story.

Why are you here, if it is so unpalatable? Why do you consume more of something that you think is so bad?

Despite a few issues I have with the game and the story I still love it. This is a false dichotomy you have created dear sir or madam. :D

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    mattimeo97 wrote: »
    If you were CBS, you'd take any residuals from Paramount, and nod your head and smile for any proposed sequel, because it pads your bank account.

Which is, shockingly, exactly what happened.

only if i didn't care for trek but ty god i do
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013

While you're blaming JJ Abrams for faster than light issues, you're forgetting the missile that Soran launched from a planet towards its sun that Worf couldn't shoot down because of how fast it was travelling, meaning it had to be travelling faster than light.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mwgacy1mwgacy1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013

You just described all of Star Trek.
  • Options
    cosmonaut12345cosmonaut12345 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, it's a little late for us as Star Trek fans to announce "Wait, that supernova was impossible!!! There was bad science in STAR TREK :(:(:( "

As far as my character's reaction to it, he has a lot of contempt for the Vulcan High Council, but knows all about evil governments - he would hate to be judged for Sela's actions, natch. Really, I think it's _Martok's_ reactions after Nero's defeat that were contemptible.
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't forgive Spock for his epic fail in stopping the supernova, because now I have to play a epohh hugging farmer instead of a member of the Romulan Star Empire.
  • Options
    lord7tareqlord7tareq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't forgive Spock for his epic fail in stopping the supernova, because now I have to play a epohh hugging farmer instead of a member of the Romulan Star Empire.

Truer words were not spoken...err written. But what is an epohh? :)

As for the whole hobus plot, I hated it. As a whole I kinda liked JJ's Star Trek, I didn't think it was an amazingly well done movie, but I preferred it over Nemesis and the movie before it with that planet of everlasting life.
    But the hobus supernova was silly. You don't just wipe out one of the big 3 Star Trek species for your single movie.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    According to the Path to 2409, in 2387, it was known Hobus was becoming unstable and Spock and Picard petitioned the Vulcan Science Academy for help to quell Hobus before it exploded. They were turned down flat and, in essence, left Romulus to die.
    Which is why we will side with the Klingon Empire...
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Those ten or so seconds of Romulus blowing up aren't all that's standing between us and a proper insiduous RSE. The RSE has been floating around in STO for some time already, it's just that Cryptic has decided to put them down so they could create a faction of peaceful humans in their place (so as not to offen the sensibilities of people who just like the ships/want to play a drizzt clone)

Cryptic's excuse would be even more flimsy for pulling this if JJ's Trek hadn't happened though, at least.
    lord7tareq wrote: »
    Truer words were not spoken...err written. But what is an epohh? :)

As for the whole hobus plot, I hated it. As a whole I kinda liked JJ's Star Trek, I didn't think it was an amazingly well done movie, but I preferred it over Nemesis and the movie before it with that planet of everlasting life.
    But the hobus supernova was silly. You don't just wipe out one of the big 3 Star Trek species for your single movie.:rolleyes:

It was something of a copout to make by blowing up Romulus/Kelvin/Federation Fleet/Vulcan etc. The movie was one long string of cheap shocks thrown in to create drama. The new one apparently has another giant black doomsday ship and (several?) attacks on earth, killing off the Federation command etc which leads me to believe they are tryign the same route on the sequel. I wonder if anything will be left of Trek by the third Movie :(.
  • Options
    raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why are you blaming Abrams for that?
    He's a director, not a writer. The excessive lenseflare is his fault, the story is not.

As for help, I was under the impression Spock had trouble from BOTH sides not wanting him to get involved. I believe the novelization of the movie has all that red matter being mined by Nero's group because Spock couldn't convince the Senate to have somone do it.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Step one get a decent ship
    Step two rise in the service of new romulus
    Step three obtain a time ship
    Step four intercept the explosion with a "sub space tachyon inversion matrix " and " cross patch the temporal differential" thus sending the explosion into a pocket universe (ideally the Q's)
    Step Five return to the EMPIRE and shoot the tal shair for treason
    Step six marry your child hood sweetie and settle down to raise epoah
    Live long and Prosper