test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

XP Media Center Issue: Starting to worry

alchemistidalchemistid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Tribble - Bug Reports
I am excited to have been selected as a closed beta tester for the upcoming expansion Legacy Of Romulus. I would be very eager to test Legacy Of Romulus to help ensure that whatever issues it may have that have not yet been detected are found and resolved so it may have a smooth launch, unfortunately in TRIBBLE's current state this is impossible.

The TRIBBLE test server is currently unplayable on XP Media Center, the game will not allow multicore rendering to be enabled. Even if the processor is a dual-core CPU, multicore rendering remains greyed out and disabled.

This problem is reproducible. Running XP Media Center on another PC with different components and a different brand of dual core CPU resulted in the same issue. Attempts to fix this this have ranged from setting processor affinity in the task manager to manually instructing Windows that there are four threads (two cores) available using MSConfig.

In either case, what happens is that Windows will use the second core to run code faster, but because Star Trek Online cannot recognize multicore processors as such on XP Media Center, it will continue to use only one core to render the in-game UI. This results in unplayable slowdown while the UI is enabled, any sort of combat or even navigating ground social zones results in a framerate measurable in single digits.

Despite sending weekly reports on this issue for nearly a month as well as posting a thread in the TRIBBLE Bug Reports subforum, it has not even been listed as a known issue in the TRIBBLE release notes.

There is only one more month until the launch of the Legacy Of Romulus expansion, and I am concerned that if this issue goes live a not insignificant number of end users could be affected. Despite the fact that Microsoft is ceasing to support Windows XP and it's variants next year, Windows XP remains a widely used operating system, and Media Center is a very common variant.

The previously mentioned thread can be found here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8939261#post8939261

For any devs who might read this, the latest ticket sent was ticket ID #35,261.