test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ST vs BSG HD

lancersoluruslancersolurus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Ten Forward
Ran across this on Youtube, enjoy, wish we could have this added as a feature episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXz2oOlN0A&list=UUVjDxaH7Tb7r8QRTFiNOuGA&index=18
Post edited by lancersolurus on

Comments

• Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice animation. They got the viper weapon sound wrong, and a little too much rotation going on, but well done.

However this is not really Star Trek versus BSG, more like ST vs the Cylons.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That is one hell of a VID. Music was great and the animation was flawless IMO.

That Magellan-Class star ship looked pretty advanced. I like the fused warp-engine design. Very unique. =3
  • Options
    polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    this is old, its been posted several times here already.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    What always got me about these videos is any race sufficiently advanced enough would know ways of shielding itself, that is a flaw I see in many SciFi genres. So far only Star Trek ships are capable of it. Star Wars, B5, BSG etc all have the same flaw, no shielding tech, they are very advanced, no reason to not have shielding tech. Also there is no reason for it since every one of those came out after the original Star Trek series which showed shields.

As far as this have being posted before, I had never seen it so it's new to me.
  • Options
    auric2000auric2000 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Star Wars does have shielding technology.. just not as 'advanced' as races in Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Which movie? I have them all so I can check...ground shielding yes, ship shielding no...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,406 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In nBSG, there's no shielding technology because electromagnetics don't work that way, and other than the artificial-gravity field in the ships and the jump drive, they don't employ any tech that we here on Earth couldn't develop with our current understanding of physics. "Force field shielding" is an ancient SF shibboleth, with no actual science behind it. It's just used because it sounds more futuristic than "heavy armor plating".

Of course, the heavy armor plating on the Galactica was able to withstand a nuclear device exploding in contact with it, with only minor burns and no warping or buckling of the hull, so maybe they just don't need shields. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I liked the movie overall even though it seemed a bit contrived to extend the pounding on the Cylons by making them stronger than they would be.

Why was that little Science ship putting itself between 2 Base Stars exposing itself to uneccessary fire?

Also if any of those ships were Captained by Picard, they would not engage as the Cylons would be considered a lifeform so there would need to be numerous meetings and other boring Next Gen blah.

Also all the Next Gen Enterprises were really weak compared to the TOS ship with their shields buckling to 10% when hit by Pakled spit balls.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Which movie? I have them all so I can check...ground shielding yes, ship shielding no...
    Check again, one of the many battle tactics featured in the movies is taking out the bridge deflectors, those 2 huge spheres on the bridge tower of a Star Destroyer. Another is the shield protecting the hanger bays, what do you think is holding in the air in all those sequences where they are working in a bay that's open to space, and don't forget the first Death star was destroyed because the vent they torpedoed was the only part of the station not shielded, no, Star Wars ships have always had shields but they are more in the line of point defense small area coverage as opposed to a complete envelope covering an area surrounding the entire ship.

I like that video, I've posted it a few times now, I especially like the warp sequences, the first one with Ent D is simply badass and I wish we used that for our warp sequences, after all, we're on the ship so why do we keep seeing it fly away whenever we warp.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=92Pf2MH_yYQ#t=341s

And then, she flew back to find the new earth. Let's see one of the ships from ST universe do that :P

Also remember, this happened more than a million years before any ST's timeline.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor