test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A thank you to Foundry authors

tjsinclairtjsinclair Member Posts: 53 Arc User
Greetings, gentlebeings!

I just want to take a moment and thank all you Foundry authors for the hours of enjoyment I've had running your missions.

I'm a fairly new player, only since about February, and once I finished with the Featured Episodes, the game was turning into really nothing but a pointless grind, which was very disappointing to me as I'm a long-time Trekkie much more than a gamer. I'd run one or two Foundry missions just to see what they were like before I hit 50, but it was after I hit cap that I really started diving in.

The stories and creativity of most of the missions I've run, both spotlight missions and not, have really felt more like actual Star Trek than a lot of what Cryptic has come up with themselves. A good Foundry mission gives me the same sense of satisfaction I have when I finish reading a really enjoyable Trek novel, and I really, really appreciate the effort you folks put in to making fun missions with a true Trek flavor.

Special shout outs for "Conjoined," "One Too Many," and "Depths of Nukara Prime," as some of my favorites so far.

Thank you all for making STO far more enjoyable for me than it would be if there was no voice other than Cryptic's. :)
Post edited by tjsinclair on

Comments

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tjsinclair wrote: »
    Greetings, gentlebeings!

I just want to take a moment and thank all you Foundry authors for the hours of enjoyment I've had running your missions.

I'm a fairly new player, only since about February, and once I finished with the Featured Episodes, the game was turning into really nothing but a pointless grind, which was very disappointing to me as I'm a long-time Trekkie much more than a gamer. I'd run one or two Foundry missions just to see what they were like before I hit 50, but it was after I hit cap that I really started diving in.

The stories and creativity of most of the missions I've run, both spotlight missions and not, have really felt more like actual Star Trek than a lot of what Cryptic has come up with themselves. A good Foundry mission gives me the same sense of satisfaction I have when I finish reading a really enjoyable Trek novel, and I really, really appreciate the effort you folks put in to making fun missions with a true Trek flavor.

Special shout outs for "Conjoined," "One Too Many," and "Depths of Nukara Prime," as some of my favorites so far.

Thank you all for making STO far more enjoyable for me than it would be if there was no voice other than Cryptic's. :)

Well, as a general rule, any mission by XR-377 intended for public distribution is well worth the time investment. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey! I really like Conjoined myself too. But I'm grateful you enjoyed playing something I enjoyed making!
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you've played mine, you're welcome. If not, see my signature. :D
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    A big thank you to Foundry players. I know there's a lot of you guys out there who enjoy playing missions and we authors appreciate having an audience!
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Well, as a general rule, any mission by XR-377 intended for public distribution is well worth the time investment. :P

Here, here! I certainly agree. :)

But to the OP, don't judge the Cryptic missions too harshly. The dev team was under a terrible deadline to get the game out before the licence expired thanks to the idiocy/incompetency/embezzlement by Perpetual. They had only about two years to get the game in a working state, when most MMOs require about five.

That's why many of the missions are nothing more than, "go here, kill 3 mobs, go there, finish mission".

When given time to do a proper job, we get things like the Featured Episode from our talented dev team. :P

We Foundry authors have the luxury of making our own deadlines and being able to concentrate on one thing for building missions. We don't have a boss (company) breathing down our necks telling us to do six different things at the same time and wanting them done yesterday. ;)

That said, I agree that there are a very large number of wonderful player made missions out there. It's amazing some of the imaginative stuff that's available (even with the limited tools of the current 'beta' Foundry - lol!)
  • Options
    captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, we are always happy when players enjoy our stories. I'm sure all of us can agree that it is gratifying to hear such kind sentiments about our individual labors of love. I too, am a fan first, gamer second and thanks to the Foundry and players like you, we are allowed to bring our dreams to life and to share them. ;)
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here, here! I certainly agree. :)

But to the OP, don't judge the Cryptic missions too harshly. The dev team was under a terrible deadline to get the game out before the licence expired thanks to the idiocy/incompetency/embezzlement by Perpetual. They had only about two years to get the game in a working state, when most MMOs require about five.

That's why many of the missions are nothing more than, "go here, kill 3 mobs, go there, finish mission".

When given time to do a proper job, we get things like the Featured Episode from our talented dev team. :P

We Foundry authors have the luxury of making our own deadlines and being able to concentrate on one thing for building missions. We don't have a boss (company) breathing down our necks telling us to do six different things at the same time and wanting them done yesterday. ;)

That said, I agree that there are a very large number of wonderful player made missions out there. It's amazing some of the imaginative stuff that's available (even with the limited tools of the current 'beta' Foundry - lol!)

Heh, what he said, plus Cryptic's tools seem to be advancing.

Take a look at the KDF tutorial, for example - the first mission after the tutorial (currently on Tribble) contains some pretty interesting things. They -did- however make a mistake typically made by Foundry authors, by making sure a B'rel bombed the wardens to kingdom come, even if you were flying, say, a Vo'Quv. It's not entirely impossible, though... :D

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I find it hard to judge Cryptic's work too harshly having fought the battle of trying to make quality missions in a timely manner. It's easy to say a Foundry mission is better than a Cryptic mission, but there were around 50 cryptic missions at launch. Even some of the best foundry authors have managed only a hand full. I've only managed one so far.

Still this is not to in any way discount the incredible work by the Foundry community. Seeing the vastly different styles of writing all conveying their unique take on Trek is a absolute treat. I have an incredible experience both making and playing foundry missions and I think there are more great things to come.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Heh, what he said, plus Cryptic's tools seem to be advancing.

Take a look at the KDF tutorial, for example - the first mission after the tutorial (currently on Tribble) contains some pretty interesting things. They -did- however make a mistake typically made by Foundry authors, by making sure a B'rel bombed the wardens to kingdom come, even if you were flying, say, a Vo'Quv. It's not entirely impossible, though... :D
    the KDF tutorial is even more surreal when you do it while flying an Orion flight deck cruiser. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for thanking . :)

try out my missions if you wish!

Federation:

"Long lost friend" ---ID number is: ST-HRQV6CUIV

"Long lost friend 2" -- ID number is: ST-HGYIGAEE3

KDF:

"Earth Invasion" - ID: ST-HGFEEMVMO

"BloodThirsty Enemies" - ID: ST-HPBYSJ456

@name is : amahood
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    A big thank you to Foundry players. I know there's a lot of you guys out there who enjoy playing missions and we authors appreciate having an audience!

Ok, quick grouphug and let's get back to work. :D
    signwidrona.png