test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chains: What happens if you Fail a mish?

royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
OK, I've been enjoying learning the Doff system, casually working thru some of the chains as I go. I have been progressing the 'Caitian Diaspora' chain and was on 7/10, which is the first one where you need the Ferasan Nepata Leaves. (What is this stuff, stellar catnip?)

I was stuck there for awhile because I was too busy/lazy to figure out where to get the catnip and this cheap old Scot wasn't about to drop EC on it in the Exchange. Meanwhile almost every time I'd open the doff window to get rewards and assign new mishes, I'd see that 7/10 mission and finally I got the urge to get that chain moving.

So I finally went to explore Bajor and haggled for some catnip. Caitian mission still hanging there, so I assigned the mission to my better doffs.

And someone dropped the test tube. Mission failed. :mad:

No problem, just pick up some more catnip and redo it, right?

Well, that was a week ago. I haven't seen that mission again. Do I need to do something special to 'restart' the chain? I mean, until failing this one, I couldn't swing a dead Ferasan without smacking that mission chain. Now it is nowhere to be found.

Thanks,
"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
--Red Annorax
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You progress to the next step even if you fail. You don't have to repeat the assignment.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You progress to the next step even if you fail. You don't have to repeat the assignment.
    I thought so, but I haven't seen the 8/10 mission, either. Granted I could just be having crappy luck but given that the previous missions were almost always available, it seems too coincidental that this mission hasn't popped up at all. :confused:
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013

This is correct. Chains only check for completion, not success rate. Even a Disaster (if possible) would fulfill the a completion requirement and allow you to progress to the next step.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I failed #2 and am currently working on #4. Try the Doffjobs chat channel; they should be able to tell you where to go for #8.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And some assignments provide a reward even on a disaster result. For example, infusing an alien artifact will give you a Powered Alien Artifact even if it sends your development lab scientists to the morgue.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This is correct. Chains only check for completion, not success rate. Even a Disaster (if possible) would fulfill the a completion requirement and allow you to progress to the next step.

OK, I get it now. And what I didn't count on was that the next mission in the chain isn't available in my usual areas of operation. So while I was wondering if I wasn't getting the mission because I failed, it turns out I just wasn't in the right sector to get the next mission. Just coincidence that the first mission that wasn't available in my usual hangouts was right after the first one I failed. Thanks for helping me work thru it, everyone. :)
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    And some assignments provide a reward even on a disaster result. For example, infusing an alien artifact will give you a Powered Alien Artifact even if it sends your development lab scientists to the morgue.
    Segue to mental image of a weird contraption, sitting on a workbench and glowing with an eerie mauve light, surrounded by lifeless scientists...

The unit known as 'Scott' has ceased functioning. Shall I effect repair?"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you don't mind the "spoilers", here's a list of the chains, and where/how to find the individual assignments:

http://www.stowiki.org/Assignments#Assignment_chains

In the case of of your 8/10, you're going to want to be looking not only in the "current map" tab (while in Bajoran space), but check your Engineering Department Head (on each map), too.

http://www.stowiki.org/Assignment_chain:_Caitian_Diaspora

Take further note, that steps 1-8 are common assignments, "easily" found. Steps 9-10 are Uncommon, so they'll be slightly harder to find. (Even so, they aren't THAT hard to locate.)

Some chains even have Rare assignments, too. Facility 4028 Fugitives has two of them (the first two).

I love the DOff system, and enjoy exploring space, looking for chains and other cool assignments. Happy Hunting!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    tahnalostahnalos Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    All of the sudden I was thinking Metal Gear Solid 2 and Mailing a Fish.....
    Fleet Affiliations:
    FED: Royal Federation Mounted Starfleet: SB3, TAC3, ENG3, SCI3, Win, Int, DOff(T/E/S/B)
    KDF: Parliamentary Klingon Empire: SB2, TAC2, ENG2, SCI2, Win, DOff(T)

Interested in joining? Please send a PM to @Tahna_Los.