test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's with all of the Fed Rainbows? (PVP and PVE)

13»

Comments

• shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited April 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    You have my sympathies if you only see 2 colors when you look at rainbows. :P
    Hey, I said he had the Chroniton Dual Beam Bank....that's like a rainbow in itself. :P
  • originpioriginpi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You have my sympathies if you only see 2 colors when you look at rainbows. :P

You know the Chroniton DBB fires a multi-coloured rainbow beam right? It alone makes for a rainbow.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    originpi wrote: »
    You know the Chroniton DBB fires a multi-coloured rainbow beam right? It alone makes for a rainbow.
    Yes, I'm aware of what it looks like. In that very post I recognized it and chided two Fleetmates for mocking a Wells (who was using a Chroniton DBB and Anti-protons) of being an ineffectual rainbow boat.

It kind of reminds me of pearl, I wouldn't consider it a rainbow. You guys need to go check out waterfalls with glorious rainbows. :P
  • shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited April 2013
    Yes, I'm aware of what it looks like. In that very post I recognized it and chided two Fleetmates for mocking a Wells (who was using a Chroniton DBB and Anti-protons) of being an ineffectual rainbow boat.

It kind of reminds me of pearl, I wouldn't consider it a rainbow. You guys need to go check out waterfalls with glorious rainbows. :P
    As far as I'm concerned, with the exception of the cutting beam, more than one energy-type would be considered a rainbow build.

I'm not really talking about the aesthetics.
  • shadowaxxshadowaxx Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    just so I am clear... the (-10) power debuff comes from which?

1) running different energy type weapons, plasma & phaser & disruptor?

2) same energy type but mix of cannon and beam?

thnx
  • lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's exactly the point. You know you can do better, you're choosing to do worse.

Very few people knowingly choose to be worse. That's why it's a common symptom of incompetence.

Calling me incompetent? Really? I CHOSE to make a rainbow cruiser that could handle elite stfs and I did, which is the point I was referring to.

I also happen to find flying the rainbow fun and a nice change of pace from what I normally do on my other toons :)
  • yargomeshyargomesh Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    shadowaxx wrote: »
    just so I am clear... the (-10) power debuff comes from which?

Neither. Any and all energy weapons have a '-# power when firing other weapons.' in their tooltip. This is different depending on the type of weapon.
    First overlap is free. Thus with a Cruiser with 8 Beams firing all of them at the same time goes like this:

Beam 1: -0
    Beam 2: -0
    Beam 3: -10
    Beam 4: -20
    Beam 5: -30
    Beam 6: -40
    Beam 7: -50
    Beam 8: -60.

However the weapon types drain for different portions of their firing cycle so it's primarily a worry for Beams during Fire at Will. (Longest drain duration with lots of shots.)

As for Rainbow Builds, as long as the person is competent and having fun I don't mind them. I mind those who look down on them more because they don't understand that different people have different opinions of what is fun.

Fun for some people is flying around shooting a rainbow of colors at everything in sight.
    Fun for some is sitting in place, hitting a button over and over and watching things explode.
  • theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yargomesh wrote: »
    Fun for some people is flying around shooting a rainbow of colors at everything in sight.
    Fun for some is sitting in place, hitting a button over and over and watching things explode.

...what if, for the amount of TRIBBLE cruiser captains get just for what they fly from the Stop Having Fun brigade, you put one off-type beam afore just to make their blood boil? Of course, that said rotating two FaW's already make your ship a Pink Floyd concert with warp nacelles, so might as well homogenize energy types to get the most out of it.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lhoygow wrote: »
    Calling me incompetent? Really?
    That is not what I wrote.
  • ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lhoygow wrote: »
    Calling me incompetent? Really? I CHOSE to make a rainbow cruiser that could handle elite stfs and I did, which is the point I was referring to.

I also happen to find flying the rainbow fun and a nice change of pace from what I normally do on my other toons :)

Even totally incompetent people can still learn, but knowingly using rainbow beams makes you much worse.
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll admit to having a rainbow cruiser on the Fed side. It's primarily a torp-boat and mine-layer I use exclusively for TRIBBLE around in solo PvE and the foundry. As all the tac consoles boost the kinetics, I'm losing no DPS by having a pretty rainbow of lasers... so why not :P

I used to have a rainbow PvP B'rel that worked like that too, but after the trico-nerf, I went back to more conventional methods for blowing stuff to bits.
  • qbsneakqbsneak Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Who cares.... really this is just a game people. I can understand the whole STF/PVP deal as you are relying on your team to get the job done.... after all it is a team effort but for PVE, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

As for the people who use just one type..... I've seen both the rainbow players and the singleton type in STF's and to be honest, I've had more issues with the singletons either being complete a-hole D-bag, know it alls and watching them sit there with their thumbs up their arses, not helping their team at all while at least the rainbows are trying.

At the end of the day, its just a game and people should enjoy playing it however they like. If rainbows or any other way people enjoy playing/kitting out their ships bothers you, maybe its time you switched to another game.