test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Purchase premade background stories from store?

felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I don't know if this has been in other mmo's but what if they made premade back stories for the different races. All the info of where you are from, when you joined Starfleet. Maybe some of the stories could be making you a Ma'qui or a spy. These stories would add to the depth of your character and to go with it, maybe have a 2 or 3 mission arc to play out that story line. Here are details...

> Only one available for each character
> A short story arc with playable missions
> In the end you will earn a special title for in game, special outfit to go along with your story
> If you choose to be something outside of Starfleet, say a Ma'Qui, you would gain access to a new reputation system where you earn cred with the Ma'qui or what have you.

Ahhh, i'm dreaming I know but honestly I would love something like this. Any other ideas or suggestions?
Post edited by felixhex on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maquis? Why would there be Maquis? They were wiped out decades ago, and there's really nothing developed story-wise to cause Federation colonists or Starfleet officers to rebel or anything. :confused:
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have no idea, I was just using that group as an example
    edited April 2013
    And that's why the stories would be made, to develop stuff. Expand on what is already there and create new story lines. The Maquis could come back. Who knows?
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As for premade backstories, I don't see the point. A lot of people have already made backstories for their characters. I doubt they'd be interested in buying mission packs like this, or any mission packs at all. It would go against Cryptic's philosophy of providing all playable game content FREE for all players.

...But of course, this is Cryptic we're talking about here. So who knows. :P
    edited April 2013
    seriously, can people who do it stop harping on specefics? This is STO. I warp to ESD and I see jem'hadar ships, time ships, Borg equipped ships, cardassian ships, tholian ships... come on. I used the maquis as an example nothing more. And with a wave of a magic creative wand the maquis could come back. Look at the Romulans and Remans. There worlds were completly destroyed and in may what are they going to do? Join fleets in either KDF or Starfleet and fly that factions ships. So I would like to stay on point and discuss the topic.
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't see the point in spending real money to buy a pre-made backstory.

Besides, Cryptic would only be able to write so many, and there are better things for them to spend time on, such as improving missions we have, graphics effects, and writing new content.

Money should be spent on things that you CANT do yourself (ships, costumes, etc), if you want a truly original back story, you go to your biography page, and you write it yourself.

If you want a pre-written one, visit the Memory Alpha website, pick your favorite Star Trek character, copy/paste, and replace any references to their name with yours if you want to be lazy.

I realize that there was more to it than just the backstory itself, but then developer time would have to be spent on writing missions for that one backstory that other players would not be able to enjoy. Again, if you want to make missions for your own backstory, you can do that too in the Foundry. (when its working of course)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you want to, I'd be happy to sell you a pre-made background story along with 2-3 foundry missions to play to give it some depth.

I could even make you a Maquis, or a French Resistance fighter, or maybe a Spanish Conquistador.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cryptic can rarely be bothered to have dialogue distinguish my federation Klingon tac character from my Vulcan science character, and none of the choices you make in the episodes of suposed consequence (killing the ferengi, letting her go, giving the borg tech to the romulans, beign in favor or against the eugenics guy (or killing/sparing the prisoners, for that matter), attemptign to arrest obisek, etc-have any impact on anything outside of the episodes they appear in. I really don't see something like this taking place.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cryptic can rarely be bothered to have dialogue distinguish my federation Klingon tac character from my Vulcan science character, and none of the choices you make in the episodes of suposed consequence (killing the ferengi, letting her go, giving the borg tech to the romulans, beign in favor or against the eugenics guy (or killing/sparing the prisoners, for that matter), attemptign to arrest obisek, etc-have any impact on anything outside of the episodes they appear in. I really don't see something like this taking place.

Yeah, I agree. With the infinite number of background possible, and the MMOs prevalences for not being character specific, this would be too much of a coding and writing hassle for such little return.

This, and alot of RPers I know have such unique and interesting backstories as it is that it would cheapen their characters if they chose background A, B, or C. The best that an MMO background unlock would be is cliche or Mary-Sue by comparison. Serious RPers won't use them. Casual players won't know about it, or won't care about their RP history. Hardcore PVPers won't buy them period. This means that the only people that would bother buying these premade backgrounds are RPG noobs that don't know any better. I doubt even vanity collectors would get into these.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deyvad wrote: »
    If you want to, I'd be happy to sell you a pre-made background story along with 2-3 foundry missions to play to give it some depth.

I could even make you a Maquis, or a French Resistance fighter, or maybe a Spanish Conquistador.

This is such a clever way to point out how unnecessary the proposed feature is with what is already available to us that it gives me cause to wonder why we cannot "Like" forum posts :D

However, felixhex, just to clarify my stance here, I do still completely agree with you on THIS quote.
    felixhex wrote: »
    seriously, can people who do it stop harping on specefics? This is STO. I warp to ESD and I see jem'hadar ships, time ships, Borg equipped ships, cardassian ships, tholian ships... come on. I used the maquis as an example nothing more. And with a wave of a magic creative wand the maquis could come back. Look at the Romulans and Remans. There worlds were completly destroyed and in may what are they going to do? Join fleets in either KDF or Starfleet and fly that factions ships. So I would like to stay on point and discuss the topic.
    This has happened to me all to often.

By the way, the actual definition for "Maquis" usually describes the word as being used as a means of labeling a resistance movement against an occupying foreign government.
    This means that the Bajoran Militia that fought against the Cardassian occupation of Bajor could technically be described as being "The Maquis" as well.
    Just FYI.
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't see the point in spending real money to buy a pre-made backstory.

Besides, Cryptic would only be able to write so many
    That's basically the end of the discussion.

There won't be much market for all the effort required to make it a marketable system.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The other thing that would plague any idea like this is Cryptic/PWE's lack of understanding of the concept of 'micro transaction.' They still haven't realized that you can sell more individual things cheaply than groups of things more expensively. (They kind of caught on with ship 3-packs, but fail everywhere else.)

So you'd have: Character Backstory Bundle Pack: 5000 Zen.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would love to be able to buy a "Race Pack" which would allow my specific Captain Race to get various side-missions as they advance, entirely due to their race. So a Vulcan Captain, for example, would need to do some special Vulcan missions between level 1 and 50. The same for Andorians, and so on.

These packs could come with some bonus items: new ally/pet, clothing, etc.

I'd buy those up in a heartbeat. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why would i need backstory to pew pew ISE borg cubes ?

4 years ago this might have been a neat idea (before they started coding the missions).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This could work, but you'd need to add something more than a small handful of missions. Maybe throw in some unique race/trait options along with it.

A special set of "backstory missions" to explain the Federation Klingons, Federation Ferengi, liberated Borg or any of the races that are in Starfleet but not part of the Federation. This can be expanded to some other races that fit the "not in the Federation but in Starfleet" mold like the Breen, Deferi, Jem'hadar, Androids or Vorta.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been in other mmo's but what if they made premade back stories for the different races. All the info of where you are from, when you joined Starfleet. Maybe some of the stories could be making you a Ma'qui or a spy. These stories would add to the depth of your character and to go with it, maybe have a 2 or 3 mission arc to play out that story line. Here are details...

> Only one available for each character
    > A short story arc with playable missions
    > In the end you will earn a special title for in game, special outfit to go along with your story
    > If you choose to be something outside of Starfleet, say a Ma'Qui, you would gain access to a new reputation system where you earn cred with the Ma'qui or what have you.

Ahhh, i'm dreaming I know but honestly I would love something like this. Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Imagination is both free and priceless. You can't buy it in the Zen Store.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Imagination is both free and priceless. You can't buy it in the Zen Store.

SURE you can......250 zen
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Maquis? Why would there be Maquis? They were wiped out decades ago, and there's really nothing developed story-wise to cause Federation colonists or Starfleet officers to rebel or anything. :confused:

If I remember correctly, as a KDF player you can recruit a Marauding Bolian Duty Officer
    that was brought up on the edge of the Demilitarized Zone. He shows resentment to Starfleet
    in his quote and has wish not to help them, since the Federation didn't do just so in kind.

It's definitely makes for a potential that an underground Maquis force could still be around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • damecdamec Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deyvad wrote: »

You my good sir, are a genius, someone wanting this service available in the Zen store could still make this sort of purchase using Zen ((through the method of using zen to buy items to sell for energy credits and using those energy credits)) to pay for custom background/origin stories from freelancer foundry authors, not a transaction I would be on either side of, as I do not need it, but would be intrigued to know if it works