test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Federation and Klingons should be allied against Romulans

born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
This story makes no sense:

Klingons and Fed have been allies far longer than any short alliance during the dominion war.

Romulans hate Feds

Romulans think Klingons are "dogs" - got to find that reference vid for you.

One of my Favorite TNG scenes where Picard OWNS Tomalak - with the help of the Klingons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXT22Ghouw
Post edited by born2bwild1 on

Comments

• jaadorjaador Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What about the Remans?

Are we still bros with the Reman Resistance?
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ...Have you not been paying attention? The Romulans that the Feds and KDF are courting aren't the Romulan Empire/Tal Shiar Romulans, they're the Romulan Republic, which also has made itself home to some pro-Reunification Romulans.
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dstahl wrote:
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=854201

If you have been paying close attention to the storyline in STO, then you?ll recognize the Romulan Republic as the group of survivors who attempt to found a new Romulan capital on Mol?Rihan (New Romulus). They are led by D?Tan, a student of Spock who has worked much of his life towards a reunification philosophy

The Romulan Republic is at odds with the Romulan Military and the Tal Shiar, both of which are led by Sela, who declared herself Empress and essentially disbanded the senate. These are Romulan civilians who?ve decided to stand up against the oppression of their government. Much like the Bajorans in the Deep Space 9 series, they?ve been labeled terrorists and are seeking the aid of other nations for protection. In some ways, the Romulan Republic is reflective of political divisions making headline news in our world today.

It seems to make sense.
  • jaadorjaador Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ...Have you not been paying attention? The Romulans that the Feds and KDF are courting aren't the Romulan Empire/Tal Shiar Romulans, they're the Romulan Republic, which also has made itself home to some pro-Reunification Romulans.
    Yes, we can trust them. Let's just let a whole bunch of Romulans take command of our ships and park in orbit of our homeworlds because these Romulans promise they aren't bad this time! They even have bunnies! Who doesn't love bunnies?

I'm absolutely certain this won't end up making Khitomer look like Candyland.
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    we take over the federation and klingon empire without firing a shot, soon all fed and kdf ships will have romulan captians.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dan Stahls quote in the latest interview also makes no sense - there were only even a handful of re-unificationists.

There were never many in the military that were against the gov't.

The whole thing goes against 40+ years of the IP

now we have a few farmers that suddenly get their hands on lots of Romulan ships and gear?

where did all this stuff come from?

Why are these farmers/military men/women now changing their loyalty - when loyalty was a major Romulan trait?

And we are also ment to believe that Starfleet and the KDF - are going to be giving command of Federation/klingon ship if they want to?

Fed adm " Sorry Cmd - we can't promote you to Captain because we have no Fed ships availible - they have all been given over to command of ROMULANS!!" - is this some joke???

The idea from an IP perspective is preposterous!!
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As a KDF-only player, I've never agreed with making 'friends' with the Romulans. . .even the reunificationists. The KDF should've worked to conquer the green-blooded petaQ'pu while they were weak. We're already fighting the Federation, so Federation support of the Romulans doesn't change anything.

Instead, we're just running around conducting scans and tagging furry animals like a bunch of Federation weaklings. Bah!
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dan Stahls quote in the latest interview also makes no sense - there were only even a handful of re-unificationists.

The whole thing goes against 40+ years of the IP

now we have a few farmers that suddenly get their hands on lots of Romulan ships and gear?

where did all this stuff come from?

Why are these farmers/military men/women now changing their loyalty - when loyalty was a major Romulan trait?

And we are also ment to believe that Starfleet and the KDF - are going to be giving command of Federation/klingon ship if they want to?

Fed adm " Sorry Cmd - we can't promote you to Captain because we have no Fed ships availible - they have all been given over to command of ROMULANS!!" - is this some joke???

The idea from an IP perspective is preposterous!!

40 years of IP contradicts itself so many times.

Also as for the story it never takes into account you're playing with 100,000 people so as for StarFleet or the KDF they gave one ship to a Romulan captain so they won't be running out of ships :P
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    40 years of IP contradicts itself so many times.

Also as for the story it never takes into account you're playing with 100,000 people so as for StarFleet or the KDF they gave one ship to a Romulan captain so they won't be running out of ships :P

The way a entire race was in the IP stayed pretty consistant almost all the time.

I don't remember any Klingons commanding starfleet ships when the 2 were allies - or vise versa. (lets not include worf as he was a Starfleet officer)

So I guess we go with the "change the IP to fit the most cost effective/profitable solution" - just like "warp speed is whatever the plot demands"? that's your reasoning?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The way a entire race was in the IP stayed pretty consistant almost all the time.

I don't remember any Klingons commanding starfleet ships when the 2 were allies - or vise versa. (lets not include worf as he was a Starfleet officer)

So I guess we go with the "change the IP to fit the most cost effective/profitable solution" - just like "warp speed is whatever the plot demands"? that's your reasoning?

Klingons changed from TOS to TNG

Romulans changed fromTOS to TNG

Trill changed from the TNG to DS9

The Borg changed from TNG to FC

Ferengi changed whenever plot demanded.

I do remember Romulans commanding Klingon ships

I do remember Riker commanding a BOP, and a Klingon first officer on The Enterpise D

Kira comanded the Defiant during a major battle in the war, and other times when needed.

StarFleet officers served on a BOP
    GwaoHAD.png
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jaador wrote: »
    I'm absolutely certain this won't end up making Khitomer look like Candyland.
    I wish it were so, because that would be so devious and totally Romulan, but I'm certain it won't be the case.
    Instead, we're just running around conducting scans and tagging furry animals like a bunch of Federation weaklings.
    Indeed.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • catrimcatrim Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why is it all of a sudden NOT against the Prime Directive to interfere in an internal civil war within the Romulan Empire?

It was when it was the Klingon Empire in TNG.

Why would the KDF accept 'traitors' to the Military Junta in power now... and give them their own starships manned with loyal Klingons?
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    catrim wrote: »
    Why is it all of a sudden NOT against the Prime Directive to interfere in an internal civil war within the Romulan Empire?

It was when it was the Klingon Empire in TNG.

Why would the KDF accept 'traitors' to the Military Junta in power now... and give them their own starships manned with loyal Klingons?

Outside influence from the Iconians?
    edited April 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Outside influence from the Iconians?

HAH! Not bad. I wish the 'writers' at STO could come up with something this simple and intriguing instead of this convoluted mess of nonsense.
    edited April 2013
    The "Prime Directive" only applies to Star Fleet personnel, NOT to the civilian elected government of the Federation.

Furthermore Star Fleet is subject to obey the governments decisions whether they like it or not.

So the civilian government of the Federation decided not to involve themselves in the Klingon civil war... when their presence would have been a benefit to the whole quadrant, perhaps the galaxy.... but handing out military Starfleet starships to rebellious Romulan civilians who want to fight a civil war is ok when we are losing the Borg front, according to that last ridiculous FE?

A worthy effort, but I'm not buying this one... even if I do commend your logic, the practicality just doesn't make sense.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    catrim wrote: »
    HAH! Not bad. I wish the 'writers' at STO could come up with something this simple and intriguing instead of this convoluted mess of nonsense.

Actually, they did. You find out during the Cloaked Intentions FE the the Tal Shiar is working with the Iconians.
    edited April 2013
    So why are the Romulans - who are not the loyal Romulans - joining up on opposite sides of a war - which is not really a war as 95% of the time you work together - and has been proved to be a deception from outside influence - which has no goals - or "exit strategy"

You fight a war to win - gain territory - kill a rival faction - resources - etc

But the Fed/KDF war has none of this - not only is it completely pointless - it the most bizarre "war" ever conceived in fiction or reality.

There have been RARE and very limited instances of to sides in Human history deciding things in a "war" by dualing - but never at the same time have 2 enemies fought each other/dualing and fought as allies at the same time - or just "hung" out together at certain places - while not fighting.

The concept of this whole thing is probably one of the biggest flaws in the game - and they are making it bigger with the Romulans in the middle now.

What is the purpose? Any good story/movie - etc needs a plausible/believable purpose - to carry anyones attention for very long. And definitely needs it to keep someone coming back to the story.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This sort of goes similar with my thread and don't forget there are Klingons in the Federation and vice versa.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=604491
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Didn't actually read the article eh? Okay, well, I'll just drop this here.
    While these citizens will start out in old ships they?ve managed to come by, they?ll eventually gain access to new Republic ship designs and, when they?ve achieved proper rank in the Fleet, famous Romulan Warbirds such as the D?Deridex.

So, you see, when you're level 1 and mechanically flying a crappy piece of out dated technology equivalent to a moth balled Connie or a garbage scow Miranda, in the RSR you'll probably actually be flying a museum piece from the second war between the Federation and the Romulan Empire. Then the game will explain, via questing, how you obtain better and better ships.
    By the time they complete their unique story and finish the Romulan Feature Episode series, they will have achieved a major victory against the Tal Shiar and will gain access to even more powerful ships in the future.

See.

Don't get me wrong, there is stuff to dislike about the news in today's devblog. I'm particularly saddened to find out that I was wrong and that Romulans would be flying end-game Federation and Klingon vessel. But it seems like they have a less pain inducing way of explaining ship progression for the Romulan faction, and that makes me happy at least.
    edited April 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    Didn't actually read the article eh? Okay, well, I'll just drop this here.

So, you see, when you're level 1 and mechanically flying a crappy piece of out dated technology equivalent to a moth balled Connie or a garbage scow Miranda, in the RSR you'll probably actually be flying a museum piece from the second war between the Federation and the Romulan Empire. Then the game will explain, via questing, how you obtain better and better ships.

See.

Don't get me wrong, there is stuff to dislike about the news in today's devblog. I'm particularly saddened to find out that I was wrong and that Romulans would be flying end-game Federation and Klingon vessel. But it seems like they have a less pain inducing way of explaining ship progression for the Romulan faction, and that makes me happy at least.

Well I certainly hope the players victory over the tal shair involves "capturing" these endgame Romulan ships - or where do they get them? And are you using lower tier ships to win this major battle against the Tal shiar?

Still makes no sense. And the KDF and Starfleet handing out their vessels like candy - makes NO SENSE. Like you have to be an officer for many years in one of these organizations - with a lot of history to get command of a Starship!!
  • radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Klingons and Fed have been allies far longer than any short alliance during the dominion war.

Romulans hate Feds

One of my Favorite TNG scenes where Picard OWNS Tomalak - with the help of the Klingons.

It was StarTrek: The Next Generation
    Season 1 the last episode "Neutral Zone"

Commander Taybok tells Picard to silence his dog (referring to Worf).

http://youtu.be/kfd2OhvXGuk
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Still makes no sense. And the KDF and Starfleet handing out their vessels like candy - makes NO SENSE. Like you have to be an officer for many years in one of these organizations - with a lot of history to get command of a Starship!!
    I don't know, I started as an ensign less than a year ago (according to STO chronology), and I'm already Vice Admiral. And I fly the newest and top of the line ship of the federation.
    But yeah, for everyone else it takes years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Romulans hate Feds

Romulans from the Trek timeline has them as a subversive empire of emotional vulcans minus the ridges on the forehead, they are very human in every respect but their empire has been founded on an imperal honor code, basically engrained into society with politics, a side effect being xenophobia. the average romulan citizen doesnt hate anyone, but they are suspcious of newcomers without a doubt. the military arm of the political structure has admirals driving romulans to war with any weaker race, either make them slaves or subservant races like the Remans for example, or kill them off and start over if the situation is hopeless. i think you will find it is the politicians and the highest ranking members of the military that drive on this xenophobia, they add it to the learning subjects (propaganda is effective) and they have willing loyal (admittedly brainwashed) romulans willing to fight and die to defeat their enemies.

this is my general observation.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.