test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Caspian Division REBORN!

wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Earth Spacedock
First off I want to thank the player community for the support they've show during this time.

Around 4 AM on April 4th a leader of Caspian had their account used against their knowledge to demote all the leaders and remove all members from our Fed and KDF fleets. This person then proceeded to promote his own character to leader and then finally demote and remove the last member of Caspian. The person responsible has stepped forward and claims the Fleet is in his possession and will return it once his demands are met.

We aren't sure how this person got access to one of our leader's account or email. We submitted a ticket to cryptic and their GM department has informed us they don't currently offer fleet support.

As a response, Caspian has decided to reform under the banner of "Caspian Rising" and as hard and painful as it will be start from scratch.
Post edited by wilv on

Comments

• Options
    terilynnsterilynns Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We also want to reiterate just how much we appreciate the amazing support and assistance we've received from SO MANY other fleets!

You have RISEN above and have proved why STO's community is THE BEST!!

Love you, thank you.

Terilynn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    magnumoftheblackmagnumoftheblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Our Starbase was Rank 4.5 and our Embassy 2.5. On both we were seeing the finish line to teir 5 and 3 respectively.
    A little more information. The fleet leader who was TRIBBLE had not been in game for quite some time. When Cryptic was TRIBBLE and they sent out the mass message for all its player base to change their passwords, the fleet leader who was TRIBBLE hadn't been playing. The individual who identifies himself as Kyle apparently TRIBBLE the account and then created the Mayhem. If you see anyone in game with the fleet name: Caspian Division, that is him.

To date, he has not stated his demands. At this time, we have defiantly started a new fleet "Caspian Rising" and start from ground zero with a Starbase and Embassy at Tier 0.

All that was built are lost due to someone's sense of self entitlement and not caring the impact on a group of people who spent their time, (Real) money and happiness in developing something in game with their friends.

I still do not see how it is a "Fleet issue" as Cryptic is saying because the account was TRIBBLE. I guess short term memory is present because Cryptic itself was TRIBBLE. Maybe it is my anger and sense of being violated by the hacker here that is getting me upset that the powers that be cannot help out a little.
  • Options
    maddwolfmaddwolf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Again i would like to say: that I'm sorry to hear this and it's very upsetting to see/hear that hard work and dedication has been taken by someone who is below that of scum.

At the same time Everything happens for a reason and even though this situation is very unfortunate it is/has brought the STO community together to help a brother/sister in STO that is in need. As a member of SSOG (Starfleet Special Operations Group) and KSOG (Klingon Special Operations Group) I offer our assistance in ANY way that is needed to help with the Rebuilding of Caspians Star Base and Embassy.

Keep your Chin UP Caspian you WILL Rise to be better than ever...and remember the Good of the Many will out Weigh the Evil of the Few.. Best Wishes

-Wolf
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Ferasan Shadow Force would also like to extend our support during this trying time. Please do not hesitate to ask for help in rebuilding your fleet. We would love to provide whatever we can to make this transistion easier.

We will also recommend your fleet whenever anyone asks about a good Federation fleet. I know a lot of homeless cats are looking for a good Fed fleet.

We stand with you.

Commadore Bob
    Master, Ferasan Shadow Force
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited April 2013
    Thank you Commadore! Our KDF faction was hijacked as well - The House of Caspian is no more. :( However we have moved to the fledgling Gates of Sto'Vo'Kor fleet created and held by our member Soriedem and will begin again. Please extend our gratitude to the members of the Ferasan Shadow Force for your honorable hospitality and don't be surprised if a few of our members reach out to you!

Qapla'!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kineticimpulserkineticimpulser Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The fleet leader who was TRIBBLE had not been in game for quite some time. When Cryptic was TRIBBLE and they sent out the mass message for all its player base to change their passwords, the fleet leader who was TRIBBLE hadn't been playing.

Ah. There's you're problem right there. :)

Rule number one in security: keep clearances current. Well, rule number sev...elev...? I forget, but it's up there.

A painful lesson, but one that the whole community can learn from. Demote or dismiss non-active members.

That said, this is a horrible act of *theft* that needs to be punished to the full extent of the law. Sure, this is theft of "virtual goods" but let's be clear: stealing and using usernames and passwords that do not belong to you is against the law (18 U.S.C. 1030 to be exact... which subsection to charge him/her with depends on some facts I don't have).

Real people spent real money on materials to build that base. Cryptic gets real money from the purchase of fleet modules which can ONLY be redeemed at Fleet Shipyards. Make no mistake, if the average player has ANY reason to mistrust the fleet system, it is a threat to Cryptic's bottom line.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Fleet Admiral. If you get an email that says "send X bitcoins to account Y within 24 hours or I delete your base," what are you going to do? GM ticket? Complain on the forums? Pretend you never got the message? Plead for mercy? Talk the guy down to X-5 bitcoins?

Two things need to happen:

1) Cryptic needs to lock out ALL accounts that did not change their passwords after the breach. Yes, that will make it slightly more difficult for players returning to the game to login. Yes, a certain number of those players who are confronted with a "change your password" screen will just give up. Tough. It was a corporate error when the passwords were stolen. This is a knock-on cost of that failure. Eat it and move on.

2) Cryptic needs to hire an Ombudsman. There are more shenanigans going on now in several facets of the game. As it gets more complex, this is inevitable. There will be gray areas. There needs to be human review of these issues. But more importantly, there needs to be *assurances* given to the playerbase that their work will not be in vain in this type of situation. Yes this is an MMO. Yes this is teh interwebz where mean nasty trollz get their jollies. Yes it's caveat emptor and everyone man for himself... herself... whatever!

But this is Star Trek.

We're better than this.
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have spread the word for my fleet's non-Ferasan alts to consider your replacement fleets.

That said, Brandon has pointed this thread to the devs: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=9055141#post9055141 Leave your fleet protections suggestions there and it will be seen by Cryptic.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited April 2013
    It must really suck to have this happen to one's fleet (weeks perhaps months of hard work), and now it's the second time it has happened in a larger scale that got attention here on the forum..

As an old EVE Online player I must say this: EVE use to take pride in being the only game that has a "no rules" kind of gameplay. But now, seeing how these fleets are getting no assistance at all from GM's, I nolonger think EVE has the right to call themselves the only outlaw, pirate, shenanigans game. STO could too?

Just my thought on the matter. Sorry to hear about your fleet.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    gettysburg7gettysburg7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Jolan'tru,

I don't post here....ever, but want to say a most heartfelt and sincere Thank You to the members of the STO community who rallied to Caspian's aid during this time.

When I was told what happened this morning I felt like someone told me my house had been destroyed in a fire. Caspian is not just a fleet in a game (to me), but many of the members are like family, and indeed have assisted not only me but others in real life, outside the game, during times of crisis. We are a huge extended family where fun, laughs and sharing conversation far more than counting kills.

The joke is on this despicable individual as he rallied Caspian to an even tighter bond. We are Caspian, we will not only continue our missions of exploration and enforcement, but we will dance and continue on as the best looking fleet in STO.

May the Elements watch over you, and thank you for your support during this time.
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hello,

First I would like to thank everybody who has shown support to us in our time of need. Your good will has gone a very long way to helping us make the best out of a horrible situation.

To the person responsible for this, wether for gain or for spite, shame on you. I don't know you and I assume you do not know me. This game is very important to me. I spend nearly 12 hours a day playing.

Pathetic? Yes, I think so, too. I have a degenerative joint condition. Leaving the house is problematic at best. Even playing the game causes me intense pain at times, but as I am mostly housebound, it is my window to a world.

I have chosen to spend the last days of my mobility here. I have spent much money that is difficult for me to come by and spent countless pain filled hours grinding out fleet marks and EC to help build my virtual home. It is not easy for me to find ways to contribute, but I have been working as hard as I can.

You have taken all that away. I'm certain you haven't thought that much about it, but that is what you have done. Mull that over for a little bit. Sure, it is just a game. Yeah, people take it too seriously. What you don't realize is that those of us who have had to make changes to our lives sometimes rely on our entertainment to help us make the best out of bad situations. So, while you may take what you have done lightly, you have seriously impacted my life.

I don't know if you are reading. I don't know if you even care if you are. Still, I felt the need to clue you in on what karma you have incurred. I don't believe pleading to your better nature would be effective, as what you have done is so low, but perhaps you have one. If you do, perhaps knowing this will make you come to your senses, and end this trouble for all of us.

It has been a long and trying night. I have been up all night supporting and being supported by my fleeties. I put on my strong face for them. They have been working on this fleet for longer then I. Yet, I am crushed by this. I am overwhelmed and need some rest. Tomorrow is another day.

Thanks again to the STO community for their support. You cannot realize the joy it instills in my heart,
    KimmyM
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    woodyvalleywoodyvalley Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just saying thanks for the support that has been shown in the community. I had a few PMs come my way.

Good thing is we can't go backwards, we can only go forwards. We are off to a good start and got projects for the Fed and KDF Bases and Embassies on the go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Really

Really

An Internal matter Honestly The Gm's said that

Sorry just remind me HOW many members who are in this fleet are hosting or own there own podcasts to which a LARGE section of the player base listen too.

I do feel sorry for you guys and when i can get on over the next coming weeks ill help grind some dilthium for your new projects.

This happened to me and the fleet i was in about 6 months into the game and we lost 8 bank slots which were all full and had to start again so i understand.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If there is anything I can do to help you all rebuild simply let me know.
    I have an alt or two I can spare to help you grind back what you have lost.
  • Options
    rjcfoxtrotrjcfoxtrot Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    New Romulus ain't got nothing on the relief efforts for Caspian.
  • Options
    nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On behalf of the Ausmonauts we would like to extend a hand of friendship to your fleet. We understand the amount of assistance you are receiving and being a fleet of similar size, we would like to offer any extra support that you currently need. We have a star base that will start its first tier 5 upgrade within weeks and our embassy is complete. If no other fleet has given this (which I am sure they have) you will be able to access our fleet stores. We also invite your fleet members to run missions with us if you wish to help them get back into a normal routine. If you require any aid from us, you can contact us in game (@nagrom7, or any of our officers) or at our website.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • Options
    kahless2001kahless2001 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It is such a pity to see PWE/Crpytic take so little action over something so serious as hacking and then the possible ransom of a high level fleet.

While sympathy is cheap, you still have mine.

Let us hope that something will be done to fix this situation. :mad:
  • Options
    davidtbradforddavidtbradford Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not a poster on here often, if ever, but I must reach out to say a super Thank You to all of the excellent support that Caspian Division has received during this ordeal. I've always thought the people we've played with over the years we have been together were awesome, and the love and support just proves that. Caspian will be back to where we were and our community is all the stronger for such a tragedy to happen.
  • Options
    sgtreusterssgtreusters Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Like Bradford, I almost never post here. However, I would have been remiss if I did not thank our fellow Fleets, and fellow STO players, for their generous offers of assistance after the heinous events of the past 24 hours.

To all who have come to Caspian's aid, Thank You.

And to the heinous individual who stole our property and hurt our members, karma is a MF'er, and I hope I'm there when you get yours.
    SgtReuster
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CASPIAN RISING
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Caspian Division is one of my homes away from my main Fleet with an alt of mine.

To see all the messages of support given from so many is so showing of what Star Trek is supposed to stand for and what it means to the majority of the community.

I joined Caspian Division on their chat last night, where, as well as still enjoying to play the game I am proud to have been able to help start the new Caspian Rising Fleet and help get the first projects kicked off, and as before I will continue to help contribute where I can.

What has been done to here is nothing short of hateful and no matter how nasty people might try and be, I know that Caspian will always continue to shine bright.

LLAP =/\=
  • Options
    tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've said it on Twitter, but it's worth reiterating.

LaFamilia stand available to offer you access to anything you need in the mean time while you rebuild, pop me an in game tell if you'd like to discuss starbase access, or even help with some project resources as I know that it can be a tough run.

Glad to see you're not taking it laying down.
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Elite Defense Starfleet are here for you also, this is truly terrible...

If you could pass on the full name and details of the account who stole your SB... Heres an idea, get someone to join the old fleet and get up the ranks, I know it will take time however as soon as they make founder, get them to demote the dickhead who has ruined this game for you...

HOWEVER NAME AND SHAME if I see him I will without a doubt take my own action against him.... And it will not be nice for him or her at all...

CYPTIC should take control of this and sort it out, this is not good for the community as a whole for people to be able to do this and get away with it, with CRAPTIC not doing a thing...

CRAPTIC I AM DISGUSTED IN YOU THE WAY YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE HERE WHO MAKE YOU MONEY...

SORT IT OUT NOW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    ballermarisballermaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It is a tough thing to swallow, having the fleets one has been entrusted with taken over. Months of work, real money from many people were lost in the event and as the Fleet Leader; I take complete and ultimate responsibility.

The lessons learned have been put into place, there are now just three Fleet Leaders for the reborn fleets of Caspian Rising and Gates of Sto'vo'kor.
    As for the support for the community, it has been overwhelming and the fleet members are grateful too. We are going to be at Tier 1 in a week from just how quick the projects are going, in both the Star Base and Embassy.

Will this make up for what we have lost? No, but we as a Fleet have come together and the childish actions of a coward has not and will never break the spirit of Caspian Division and it's members.
    I was humbled to see the sheer number of people on our Ventrilo server which is a 50 man. I and another Fleet member will be upgrading it to a 100 man server next week as old members are returning to Star Trek Online to aid in rebuilding are coming back on; and as other fleets who are lending support are utilizing the communications system we have.

I want to stress that we will work towards creating, developing and implementing safety features in the Fleet system; that will prevent such an occurrence again from happening when a coward; who felt slighted went on a rampage. Cryptic has been understanding, and we are together working for a solution to this event.

Where do we stand now in terms of fleet materials and what not.

I had several "Oh My God" moments, as fleets came to us volunteering aid. We have used funds donated already to help get crucial projects going. Some which need dilithium of course we will cross that expanse of stars when we come to those and do our best. That is what Caspian Rising and Gates of Sto'vo'kor WILL DO!

You can rest assured that if ANY fleet needs help; Caspian will respond accordingly. Material, EC, and yes even dilithium; even if it means every member will be mining the asteroids dry, we will give as much as we have received from the community back to it and the fleet that is in trouble.

What can be done now?

It is time for a safety check of your members. Have them change their passwords, NOW! Perfect World's Password system allows for a 14 character password of any type. Any character, letter, number etc., ~!@#$%^&amp;*()_+|}{[]":?><,.

You get the picture.

Use a random generator password on the web. Most are free, don't need to be downloaded and you can copy and paste the results to a notepad for saving. Do not share or otherwise use the same password for another site. It is for your benefit too. Make it hard to crack and if by chance you forget it, use the reset system and create another hard to crack password.

Again thanks to all Star Trek Online fleets who have come to our aid. It will not be forgotten and as for the cowardly act... Chuckle... Nice try, and have a nice day.

Ballermaris
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Imperial Romulan Strike Force is here for you also. *Waves to Terr* If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask. We are complete T3 and halfway to T2 on our embassy, but we would be honored to lend a hand if there is anything you need. Send an in-game mail to @Ael if you need anything or just want some people to run with.

We've got your back!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    Elite Defense Starfleet are here for you also, this is truly terrible...

If you could pass on the full name and details of the account who stole your SB... Heres an idea, get someone to join the old fleet and get up the ranks, I know it will take time however as soon as they make founder, get them to demote the dickhead who has ruined this game for you...

HOWEVER NAME AND SHAME if I see him I will without a doubt take my own action against him.... And it will not be nice for him or her at all...

CYPTIC should take control of this and sort it out, this is not good for the community as a whole for people to be able to do this and get away with it, with CRAPTIC not doing a thing...

CRAPTIC I AM DISGUSTED IN YOU THE WAY YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE HERE WHO MAKE YOU MONEY...

SORT IT OUT NOW!

Agreed Kirk. While I do not condone griefing when someone has broken the T&Cs to steal a fleet and was only allowed to do so because of a breach in data protection I think griefing the player is justified to some extent. This person has done a terrible thing and it wasn't even done through any leaders knowledge or permission. Most of EDS are talking about this and will be helping if they can.

To Cryptic. If this person was allowed access to the leaders account due to a laps in your security protocols, you should do everything in your power to sort it out. If this happened in my work life I would lose my job, have a fine stretching into hundreds of thousands of pounds and most likely a prison sentence.

If this is how you treat your player base then they will walk.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As you are rebuilding ... If your players need access to anything, let us know over at boq botlhra'ghom (Alliance Central Command) as we stand ready to asssit.

Our KDF starbase is Tier III with us closing in on Tier IV. In fact, we will have our Tier IV shipyard unlocked within the next week.

Also know that we are hoping that Cryptic does the honorable thing and finds a way to restore to you all that was originally yours by right of sweat and determination.

Qapla'
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    ballermarisballermaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Vengeance, hatred, anger. Yes I felt it, and personally had opportunity presented itself and I could walk up to the door of the person responsible, knock on it and when it opened delivering a punch to the face of that individual responsible; I would have enjoyed the moment, "Yeah that was for Caspian... Where is our Star Bases and Embassies?"

But I cannot and will not go that road. Instead, I want the community of what is now Caspian Rising and Gates of Sto'vo'kor to focus on rebuilding and renewing friendships. We will let those who will do the punishing do their proper jobs while we turn our attention to getting upright and healed.

I ask the Star Trek Online Community to do the same as well, as this is about enjoying the varied stories, finding the neat stuff and flying our ships among the stars and exploring the varied and wild landscapes created for our enjoyments.

I reiterate that Caspian Rising formally Caspian Division will not let the actions of a coward, who hides among the subterfuge of proxies to ruin the experience of the players. I liken this to our "Pearl Harbor", you may have destroyed the virtual existence of our base and embassy; but one cannot destroy the spirits of those who are members.

I ask the community to come together as a whole, this event has proven we can. It matters not whether we live in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Germany, France, Australia, and yes even the reaches of Far Asia and the Middle East we can overcome together.

There is a quote that I like to think about when things like this happens and it is related to the attack on the United States Naval Base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on December 7, 1941.

"I am afraid we have woken a sleeping giant..." - Japanese Imperial Naval Commander Yamamoto.

Yamamoto's prophetic statement came true later in 1942, when he died. The United States, while recovering did find the man behind the attack and he died under the canons of a P-38 Lockheed Lightning Fighter in the skies of New Guinea.

The attack has woken a sleeping giant, and in itself caused a rude but I think required awakening in the community of Star Trek Online to review and check your security of your accounts.
    Have inactive members in position where one could do harm? Demote. The settings for overall control of the Fleet are they set correctly? Some when set incorrectly could give a lower ranked member tremendous power and cause another Pearl Harbor.

I will let those who are taking care of things, do their jobs without any interference. Cryptic and PWE are working diligently, and bashing them is not something I or members of Caspian Rising want to see; so please lay off them. We discovered the barn door open too late and stuff went out the door and it is a harsh lessoned learned but we are all human and we learn from mistakes and the mistakes of others. I ask the community to do the same as well.

Again thank you all for the support you have shown. It is heartfelt and will be remembered and that we will pay it back.

Thank you.
  • Options
    drumcd74656drumcd74656 Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On behalf of the Knights Templar Fleet, I'd like to extend our condolences and to say if there is anything that you may need to help; DOFFs, resources, etc., to please send an in-game PM to any Knights Templar/Knights of Sto'vo'kor member or a forum mail to myself. We stand ready to assist in any way possible.

I'd also like to observe that it is a good thing to advertize this news as it shines a light on a gaping hole in security that Cryptic does not address. Therefore it falls upon us to try our best to protect all our hard work and to support each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We will never stop.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    roguendark1roguendark1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would just like to second Dru on this. The knights Templar and the Knights of Sto'vo'kor stand ready to assist.
  • Options
    terilynnsterilynns Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For those who might think of doing this to another fleet -- do you get it now? Just read this thread and see how the community will rise above your immaturity.

While I hope that we can all help Cryptic imagine up some tools that we can all use to prevent this from ever happening to another fleet, we also admit that we were too careless and opened the door.

Be that as it may, we with Caspian Rising and Gates of Sto'Vo'Kor thank every single person from every single fleet that has offered support.

YOU are what makes STO great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]