test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Invites and Free Players

inspectorfowlerinspectorfowler Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Federation Discussion
Hey - simple question.

I know free players can't send mail or tells to players who aren't on their friend list.

But can they send fleet invites?

I am trying to recruit people who show good team play in the Borg alerts in sector space, and at first I wondered why nobody was responding to my friendly mails! Now I know.

I know it's rude to just send a fleet invite, but it's really my only option - but are they even receiving it?

Just wondering.

Thanks!
Post edited by inspectorfowler on

Comments

• dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I know free players can't send mail or tells to players who aren't on their friend list.
    What? Since when, first I've heard of it. F2P have a 20 hour restriction, but after that they can mail and PM as much as they want.
    They can if they have recruitment permissions.
  • sasheriasasheria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dma1986 wrote: »
    What? Since when, first I've heard of it. F2P have a 20 hour restriction, but after that they can mail and PM as much as they want.

^^- This.

fleet creation http://www.stowiki.org/Fleet
    silver account limitation http://www.stowiki.org/Free-to-Play
    Fleet invite are administered via fleet founders.

the 20 hours is correct :)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • inspectorfowlerinspectorfowler Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I must have misunderstood, then. I have around 300 hours of playtime between 3 characters, so I think I am good on any limits.

That makes me sort of sad, then. I don't spam people. I only message people who aren't in a fleet who were teamed with me during a Borg alert, and the message I send is copy/pasted but definitely not "I AM SPAMBOT 2013 GIVE ME YOUR GOLD FOR CASH" sounding.

Not a single person has ever responded.

Edit - Just to clarify, I do have fleet invite permissions, as I have invited several of my friends.
    edited April 2013
    I must have misunderstood, then. I have around 300 hours of playtime between 3 characters, so I think I am good on any limits.

That makes me sort of sad, then. I don't spam people. I only message people who aren't in a fleet who were teamed with me during a Borg alert, and the message I send is copy/pasted but definitely not "I AM SPAMBOT 2013 GIVE ME YOUR GOLD FOR CASH" sounding.

Not a single person has ever responded.

Edit - Just to clarify, I do have fleet invite permissions, as I have invited several of my friends.

heh. Some people don't want to be in fleet (for various reason) and just don't respond to it.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some reasons

some are in a fleet (or in my case ARE a Fleet)
    some don't speak english (a lot of Germans out there for a start)
    some will not read mail from people who they don't know
    And most people refuse ALL fleet invites on the basis we get bombarded with them
    Live long and Prosper
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Some reasons

And most people refuse ALL fleet invites on the basis we get bombarded with them

Heh. I am my own fleet so I don't get spam for invites (cause I like grouping with random people)

I am level 4 fleet so far woo! (tier 1 in everything and almost tier 2 Starbase with tier 2 tactical)
  • inspectorfowlerinspectorfowler Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I get some of those reasons, although again, I don't try to win away people who are already in a fleet.

I'll keep trying, I guess.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Probably not a good idea to blind invite people to a fleet either, it tends to annoy folks.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Heh. I am my own fleet so I don't get spam for invites (cause I like grouping with random people)

I am level 4 fleet so far woo! (tier 1 in everything and almost tier 2 Starbase with tier 2 tactical)

As if german players couldnt speak english..
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have my Fleet Invites button turned off. Because few things are more annoying than being in the middle of an STF and having the same Invite of Friend Request pop up over and over. I do not as a rule accept blind requests or invites from anyone. Please do not take this personally.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Many people have simply receiving fleet invites turned off, because of spam invites.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Some reasons

dma1986 wrote: »

These two covers all the things. There is no restriction on the F2P accounts as far as communication, fleet leadership, or recruitment after 20 hours of aggregated gameplay. I'm a F2P player, a Fleet Leader, and one of the top recruiters in my fleet. So it is no technical limitation on your end.

When recruiting,know who your audience is. Look for low level characters not already in a fleet and send them a quick PM ad: "HEY, need some help. JOIN MY AWESOME FLEET!!". Hunt around ESD and other starter zones where people start out. Also, don't blindly spam zone chat. I often idly chat in ESD zone just to be a part of the conversation. Whenever an opening comes up and every 15 minutes or so, I drop an ad in a joking way. "You what doesn't suck? JOINING MY AWESOME FLEET!" Mix it up a bit. This will help you catch peoples eyes, as they tend to ignore the same stimuli over and over again... as well as prevent you from being chat banned. It also makes the Recruiting business more entertaining for everyone involved. Remember, Less is more with advertisements. Keep them up, but keep it sparse. once every 10 minutes should be about the max frequency you should pull off.

Once you get a someone to reply back, talk to them a bit before slapping a fleet patch on their shoulder. Find out WHO they are, WHAT they want from a fleet, and WHY they are in game. Also, little things like when they are on, what class they are, and what role they typically play is nice to know as well. This not only gives you a some information on the new recruit as far as potential training and build advice needed, but also gives the sense that you ACTUALLY care about your fleet members. This also gives the potential recruit time to ask you questions about your fleet before they commit.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea to blind invite people to a fleet either, it tends to annoy folks.

This. I have my privacy option set so I don't even see invites from people who send blind invites.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Correct, you get added to my ignore list if you do that ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Correct, you get added to my ignore list if you do that ;)
    ^These.
    I have fleet invites blocked, it gets seriously annoying quickly and if a recruiter ever whispers me they get an automatic report spam. When I want to join a fleet I will go looking, I don't need to see it in my face like a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman trying a hard sell.
    There is a section here in the forums specifically intended for fleet recruiting and the social button for fleets gives plenty of room for particulars so there are plenty of ways for a fleet to make it's case without annoying people, yet in zone chat you see recruiters spamming the channel continuously until you finally put them on ignore.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This game is pretty lousy with helping people search for new members. I don't blind invite either and my officers in the fleet will always just send people a friendly message in game if they don't have a fleet and if they say no, they say no. The forums and websites won't always work because not everyone even checks them that are in game and 90% of the people we've recruited have been from just a simple message in game asking if they'd like to join a fleet.

The main issue I have with the lousy fleet system interface is the fact there is not a section in the game that will display players looking for a fleet. You can do find a fleet but not find a player looking for a fleet. A simple setting where somebody can set themselves to "Looking For Fleet" and being able to search for those people would save a lot of trouble when messaging people, as then you'd just message the ones who are looking.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
    edited April 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    ^These.
    I have fleet invites blocked, it gets seriously annoying quickly and if a recruiter ever whispers me they get an automatic report spam. When I want to join a fleet I will go looking, I don't need to see it in my face like a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman trying a hard sell.
    There is a section here in the forums specifically intended for fleet recruiting and the social button for fleets gives plenty of room for particulars so there are plenty of ways for a fleet to make it's case without annoying people, yet in zone chat you see recruiters spamming the channel continuously until you finally put them on ignore.

The problem is that there isn't a nice interface to have recruit options. While it is nice to fill out all the info, but the searching for fleet is pretty "TRIBBLE poor" IMO.

That is why there are recruiters to see if people want to join a fleet.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey - simple question.

I am trying to recruit people who show good team play in the Borg alerts in sector space, and at first I wondered why nobody was responding to my friendly mails! Now I know.

I know it's rude to just send a fleet invite, but it's really my only option - but are they even receiving it?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

"No good deed goes unpunished"

It's good to know that some Fleets are willing to give people a chance.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • drac0s65drac0s65 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    heh. Some people don't want to be in fleet (for various reason) and just don't respond to it.

All I ever get are just random fleet invites. No one has ever communicated with me prior, I just get these pop-ups while I am playing. I decline them all (which I feel bad about but, I didn't ask to be invited and I don't know these people). I would be happy to join a fleet if I knew something about the people I would be playing with and communicated with them on a semi-regular basis.
    Vice Admiral Ky'Lian Berat - U.S.S. AVALON
    edited April 2013
    drac0s65 wrote: »
    All I ever get are just random fleet invites. No one has ever communicated with me prior, I just get these pop-ups while I am playing. I decline them all (which I feel bad about but, I didn't ask to be invited and I don't know these people). I would be happy to join a fleet if I knew something about the people I would be playing with and communicated with them on a semi-regular basis.

I know what you mean.

I started my own fleet (with help of random people but they left already) because my old fleet would not open the stores. We contribute but the leader (sole leader at the top) would not open the shop saying that it would "wipe out provisions" even when I raise the rank to 2nd highest I still don't have access. Then a bunch of people (high level) was kicked and I figure I don't want to be in this anymore and left also.

It is slow progress doing it solo BUT I am able to get stuff on my own without much issue. Granted that provision is low since I'm funding everything. I may start recruiting once I hit tier 3, I am not sure yet :)
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is where I'm at also.

I started a fed fleet year one mostly for bank space and to avoid random invites. When starbases came around, this became my big challenge. I wanted to get tier 3. I'm now upgrading communications array III, with the rest to follow this month.

All this time nobody said a word to me, but for some reason this past week I've been getting private messages from strangers asking me "are you recruiting?" I did put a recruiting message up years ago when I made the fleet but nobody ever noticed it before. Either STO has had an influx of a lot of new players, or I'm showing up in fleet searches where I didn't previously. Regardless, it was a bit depressing to have to tell them I'm an alt fleet. Not one of them sounded willing to try to grow a group. They all wanted established communities. I think had they been content with the idea I'd have opened my doors.

I'm wondering if there are any solo fleets out there that made the conversion to public fleets and how that's worked out for them. I've been a leader in other games and it's usually a bittersweet thing.

On the KDF side I have one character and on the spur of the moment joined a group forming a fleet this January. I decided I was gonna go team spirit and make some friends... After two days the leaders went awol and have logged in a total of four times. After the second major gap I claimed the fleet leadership and resumed the projects. The only other founder that contributed left for a tier 3 fleet because there was a specific ship he wanted. Player four left without a word, and player five hasn't logged in since the day the fleet was created, lol. So now I have a tier 1.5 Klingon base to myself also that I've put several million credits into.

So what should I do? Should I be content with my own private bases for pet projects or gamble on friends vs. drama/theft etc. while subjecting myself to the door-to-door sales that is recruiting.
    edited April 2013
    fourxgamer wrote: »
    This is where I'm at also.

I started a fed fleet year one mostly for bank space and to avoid random invites. When starbases came around, this became my big challenge. I wanted to get tier 3. I'm now upgrading communications array III, with the rest to follow this month.

I have tried to start a fleet but it doesn't seem to let me. Says I have to have 5 people with me? 5 toons?
    edited April 2013
    I have tried to start a fleet but it doesn't seem to let me. Says I have to have 5 people with me? 5 toons?

Yep, it requires 5 people to make a fleet. I started this fleet with a group of friends and expanded from there, but I also do see quite a few people in zone chat that try to get people to help them start a fleet for some EC.

I understand some people may just want to be in a fleet by themselves to avoid drama and that's the one thing that I always make sure doesn't happen myself. You'll always come across the "Elitist" fleets and the ones who blind invite that just consider new members another number.

This is why I feel the fleet interface needs to be improved, with the option to search for people looking for fleets. Maybe one day Cryptic will add that function.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
    edited April 2013

You need 5 people in a group who are NOT in fleet to start a fleet. Keep in mind that the moment you start one, all 5 members have total control of the fleet. Usually most people just help out and quit the fleet.

I had one person create a fleet while I was trying to put one together myself. "He said "oops" too bad so sad... bye bye" and kick everyone out and I had to find another to form it.

I finally form my fleet and running it solo.

I wouldn't mind another person helping out but it would be like Guardian rank (2nd highest)
    edited April 2013
    nierion wrote: »
    Yep, it requires 5 people to make a fleet. I started this fleet with a group of friends and expanded from there, but I also do see quite a few people in zone chat that try to get people to help them start a fleet for some EC.

I understand some people may just want to be in a fleet by themselves to avoid drama and that's the one thing that I always make sure doesn't happen myself. You'll always come across the "Elitist" fleets and the ones who blind invite that just consider new members another number.

This is why I feel the fleet interface needs to be improved, with the option to search for people looking for fleets. Maybe one day Cryptic will add that function.

It isn't so much the drama I want to avoid as it is that I don't know any friends who are playing STO and while I am not against making online friends, it just seems sometimes that people want to just play. I don't want to bother anyone by trying to pm them. If I got pm's and people wanted to start conversations first then ok.
    edited April 2013
    Ah I see. Well that too is part of the experience of joining a fleet, getting to know people and making friends. It is a pain when you start a game with nobody else you know playing it. Every MMO I've started playing there has been friends I've joined up with or my wife has started playing it with me as well.

I do find that apart from when we get new people joining our fleet, this game does feel less team based aside from end game content which lasts maybe 10-15 minutes with a PuG Group. I played MMO's where team play was required to level up your character at a decent pace so you could end up spending hours with the same 5 people leveling up a class, getting to know them.

The main thing that keeps me logging onto this game is the fact that it's Star Trek and the social aspect of hanging out with my friends / fleet members.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It isn't so much the drama I want to avoid as it is that I don't know any friends who are playing STO and while I am not against making online friends, it just seems sometimes that people want to just play. I don't want to bother anyone by trying to pm them. If I got pm's and people wanted to start conversations first then ok.

There are plenty of fleets looking for more people. You can search fleets in game by different criteria in the social tab, and in the forums, there are forums specifically setup for Federation and Klingon fleets to advertise.

Any of them would be more than happy to have new members if you think you fit in with their type of play.
  • m3ntali5t1m3ntali5t1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When i started playing, not but a few weeks ago, the first thing i did was find that mute invites button...

I wasnt joining random peoples fleets, just because i got teamed with them in borg fights and so on...

It wasn't till later i joined a fleet when i decided to go looking for a good one myself, i wasnt gonna join any fleet that said yes right away, those made me feel like they just wanted me to help get them stuff, i found one that asked me to hang with them, play some PvE with them first, to see if i thought i was a good fit... It's those fleets that people want to join, for the community, NOT the ""stuff""

A hint for your future recruiting, CHAT with the people in your team, don't just send them an invite, whos to say they even seen your name over there on their team, maybe they went in icked TRIBBLE and never even looked at your name, to them, you are a wild random fleet invite
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fleets need a upkeep . I just can't stand people who make solo fleets . Do you have any idea what kind game your playing I guess not as you just want be alone .Might want look in to them solo games .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
    edited April 2013
    m3ntali5t1 wrote: »
    When i started playing, not but a few weeks ago, the first thing i did was find that mute invites button...

I wasnt joining random peoples fleets, just because i got teamed with them in borg fights and so on...

It wasn't till later i joined a fleet when i decided to go looking for a good one myself, i wasnt gonna join any fleet that said yes right away, those made me feel like they just wanted me to help get them stuff, i found one that asked me to hang with them, play some PvE with them first, to see if i thought i was a good fit... It's those fleets that people want to join, for the community, NOT the ""stuff""

A hint for your future recruiting, CHAT with the people in your team, don't just send them an invite, whos to say they even seen your name over there on their team, maybe they went in icked TRIBBLE and never even looked at your name, to them, you are a wild random fleet invite

I have to agree with you there. Any of my recruiters will always make sure they chat to anyone prior, rather than just blind inviting. Plus we have a probation process to see how they get on and if they like it too. Last thing I want is people to feel like another number, this game thrives on strong communities.

As for people making solo fleets, why worry what someone else is doing in the game. Taking the attitude of having them go play a solo-game isn't exactly being positive. If someone else is having fun playing the game and not effecting my game time spent on STO in a negative way, I'm not going to worry. I'm here to have fun and hang out with my friends, what everyone else does in the game is up to them..... I'm just here to offer a place for like minded people to hang out and have fun :)