test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thank You, Cryptic...

kellvardosielkellvardosiel Member Posts: 8 Arc User
...for Star Trek Online. I wish I could say I've been here since the beginning. I wanted to be but I've only had a system that could handle it since last fall. In an environment filled with cynicism, sarcasm and negativity, let me instead give a little bit of praise. I, for one, feel that the game was well conceived and executed just as it is.

Since I started playing, I've spent the majority of my free time and disposable income in STO, and I don't begrudge Cryptic a bit of it. I may not be a a subscriber yet, but that's just because so far, I've been able to get everything I want a la carte. That ability is another plus in Cryptic's favor, as far as i'm concerned.

I thought the captain/Boff setup was a brilliant way to execute the away team feel, and being able to develop both a captain, and vessel really pleased me. I like the way the factions and setting were done, really glad that the Feds and Klingons were enemies again. As a TOS fan, that just feels right.

The character creator is fun to play with as a mini-game itself. The Doff system is a great way to keep involved in the game when time is short. The Foundry is wonderful for getting the community involved (fanfic started with Star Trek). Its a real gift that with ship's bridges and starbases, there are places built right into the game meant just for RP.

Don't get me wrong, there are things about the game that I wish were different, but I won't get into that here. I can't control what others post after me, but I want this note to remain positive.

To the community at large, I give a piece of advice. Life is too short to spend your leisure time doing something you don't enjoy.

Cheers, Cryptic. I applaud you, and look forward to joining the Romulan faction this May.

Best Regards,
Steven Thivierge
There...Are...FOUR... Anomalies
Post edited by kellvardosiel on

Comments

• tatyanasergeitatyanasergei Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ditto the OP.

Star Trek Online has flaws, failings, and stuff that just makes me scratch my head and wonder why. But beneath it all, this is a pretty fun game and as a Trek lover I relish the chance to play around in my favorite science fiction universe of all time. I've been here since launch, and I intend to stay around until the server dies.

~ Remissus
    Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
    Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester
    "The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Full disclosure - most of my disposable income, at least that spent for online games, has been for STO's sister game, Champions Online.

However, I've been playing this game enthusiastically enough that I have three Admirals on my main account (one all the way to Rear Admiral), and a mid-range Captain on my emergency backup account. (There's a Klink on the backup account, too, but I don't find their gameplay as engaging.)

This game is a lot of fun. I try not to pick astronomical nits (I also try not to pay attention to the listed distances for various real-world stars in the game, like Wolf 359 or Alpha Centauri) - it helps with the enjoyment. Also, Stephen, I hope it won't ruin the game for you when, in the higher levels, both Federation and Empire realize they're being manipulated by outside forces, and form an uneasy alliance against them. They're still not exactly friends - Starfleet's ships are never going to be seen in orbit around Qo'nos... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Posting to back up the OP.

I spent 8 years in EVE Online, cooped up inside a sealed pod and never being able to walk around or interact with my crew. When I came to play STO a few short months ago I finally found a game that fulfills all the childhood desires I had of watching Star Trek and wishing I could tour the corridors of a Galaxy Class starship, battle the Klingons, the Borg and countless other alien races.

At last I am Captain of my very own Starfleet (and KDF) vessels, trekking through the stars on my own adventures. While things may be rough around the edges, and there is definitely room for improvement, this game has made me a very happy man. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    8 years in a pod sounds fun. Lol
  • temp3rustemp3rus Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    + 1

After 3 + years in this game I'm still playing this just as much as I first did.

No game is "perfect", but with such a solid gameplay at its core we're only just getting started :)
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OP didn't have a system to handle this game until Fall 2012? What were you running before? A Commodore 64?

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • kellvardosielkellvardosiel Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OP didn't have a system to handle this game until Fall 2012? What were you running before? A Commodore 64?

Mac, but thanks for your concern.
    There...Are...FOUR... Anomalies
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I feel the same way OP. I started this game not long after launch and I have enjoyed it greatly ever since. I'm a "glass half full" kind of girl, so I don't get on board with all the doom and gloom. Very little in this game has ever upset me. I actually feel bad for all the people who stick around this game and do nothing but complain on the forums. It's like, are we playing a different game? And why are you doing something if it upsets you so much?
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the OP.

Sure the game has bugs, what piece of software doesn't???

But I have to also thank Cryptic for opening this up and making a game that I enjoy.
    I started playing two months after launch, and was a monthly sub then. Unfortunately had to step away for awhile due to the real world intruding in...

But I came back in July of 12, and still love the game.

So I just wanted to add my thanks!