test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To Future Romulan Players -- What the KDF Brings to the Table...

ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Caveat up front -- the assumptions below are used as the basis for what we bring to the table -- as a faction -- for future Romulan players. These assumptions are based off of what I have read so far in the forums, as well as conclusions drawn from logic. Assumption #5 in particular is based on logic.

What does the KDF bring to the table to attract Romulan players?

Assumptions:
1. Romulan players will at some point - probably around level 20 or so - be forced to choose a side to be on (Fed or KDF).
2. Romulan vessels will be potentially equally available in both KDF and Federation starbases (however, see assumption #5).
3. Only Romulan characters will be able to purchase Romulan vessels, and will not be able to fly or purchase KDF or Federation faction warships.
4. Romulans will have access to the consoles, etc., that are normally available to the faction they join.
5. Fleet starbase tier for Romulans will not matter initially; in order for a Romulan player to have access to Romulan fleet vessels, a new tier of progression will likely be introduced for Fed and KDF fleet starbases to support the Romulan population. For instance - a Fed or KDF Tier V starbase will not be able to automatically crank out Tier V Romulan fleet Warbirds - there will be a separate tier of progression that will be implemented that has to be worked up by the entire fleet to support the Romulan "faction".

If the assumptions provided above hold true, what does the KDF offer Romulan players, since in reality there is no clear benefit to joining either KDF or Federation?

1. PVP and operational/tactical Fleet Synergy. As a cloaking race, there is a natural synergy for cloaking operations between the two factions at a tactical fleet level. Nearly all Klingon vessels can cloak - not so true for Federation vessels. Mixed-fleet (cloak and non-cloak) PvP will be a non-starter for some Federation groups (imagine being a Fed player in that shiny Odyssey or a Fed Sci ship, and you end up in a PvP PUG with four cloaked Rommies on your side?.)
2. Complimentary ship types. Romulan ship design is heavily influenced by KDF ship technology due to past treaties - their ships "fit" better visually in a KDF lineup - they don't fit so well next to Federation vessels.
3. Access to KDF consoles. Although we are slowly losing our consoles to the Feds in lockboxes, the truth is that our consoles do tend to be superior, and better integrated with the KDF playstyle than the Federation consoles are. Romulan playstyle is likely to be similar to KDF tactics due to the cloak, etc.
4. Teamwork. KDF players emphasize teamwork - this is a trait that is found more often in the KDF than in the Federation. Ironically, the KDF faction tends to be the far more "friendly" faction.
5. Expansion opportunities and retention of cultural identity. Because our fleets are smaller, there is a lot of room for expansion/progression, and veteran KDF players can spend more time assisting Romulan players along. Also - there is less of a chance that the Romulans who join the KDF will lose their "cultural identity" - the KDF welcomes warriors and an independent spirit; the Federation is all about conformity and loss of independence.
6. Ideology Romulans from an ideological perspective have more in common with the KDF than they do with the Federation. We have had our differences in the past, but the KDF can understand a disagreement built on military expansion. The Federation outright betrayed the Romulans, and refused them aid when they needed it the most, and only after their homeworld was destroyed did the Feds move in with support, etc.

So - bottom line - there will be an influx of Romulan players into the Federation...and a lot of those will be alts -- but there will also be an influx of alt Romulans into the KDF, and on top of that, I think there will be a certain segment of the new Romulan population that will want to have a clean break with the Federation in order to experience something new....those players will tend to gravitate to the KDF to form Romulan fleets.

edits: cleaned up formating. etc.
Post edited by ztempest on

Comments

• Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    1. Romulan players will at some point - probably around level 20 or so - be forced to choose a side to be on (Fed or KDF).

As per Dstahl, they are forced to choose side at lvl 10.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Also, kind of per DStahl, the metrics of the past three years show that 80% of the population (or MORE) are already nonplussed with what the KDF brings to the table.

:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Assumption #3 is wrong. Romulans can purchase any ship that their ally can purchase. You are correct about Warbirds being unique to Romulans unless some lockbox ships are added. However part of the fun of being a Romulan is to pilot ships that no one else can pilot.
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To be honest, they should have made it that Romulans had to side with the KDF, for no other reason than to try and equal the population between the FED vs the KDF/ROM.

That said there will be more reason for RP and expansion in fleets on the KDF. I really hate the Fed missions anyway so my Rom alt will be joining the KDF.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Assumption #3 is wrong. Romulans can purchase any ship that their ally can purchase. You are correct about Warbirds being unique to Romulans unless some lockbox ships are added. However part of the fun of being a Romulan is to pilot ships that no one else can pilot.

Agreed that #3 is not entirely accurate...but nor is it accurate that Romulans will be able to purchase ANY ship of the faction of their choice.

From what I have seen on the forums, they will have access to one or two variants...maybe more...but not the entire roster. Additionally, I am fairly certain that ONLY Romulan players will be allowed to purchase Romulan ships - that is 50% of the assumption right there.

So...although that assumption is weakened, it still holds some validity
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Also, kind of per DStahl, the metrics of the past three years show that 80% of the population (or MORE) are already nonplussed with what the KDF brings to the table.

:(

ROFL.

I sometimes wonder what side you are on LOL. Actually, I sort of already know, I think.

In any case, I am not worried about 80% of the population...what the Federation needs to be worried about is whatever number -- in terms of a percentage -- of their playerbase is going to go over to Romulan...and of that number, how many are going to return (or not return) to the Federation.

Romulans are intensely popular in some quarters...and the bottom-line fact is that the Romulans and the Federation, according to practically every show and every game that touches on the issue, are enemies.

What does that mean? That means that whatever Romulan players go back to the Federation will be nothing more than Federation players with little or no Romulan identity. Essentially, Fed captains in Romulan boats....

Whereas the Romulans that go over to the KDF will be able to BE Romulans in the traditional sense -- in an alliance with the Klingons (which has happened before...and logically could happen again), and at war with the Federation -- which is a state that they are very, very used to...

Let's look at it a different way...the Fed alts that will be made as Romulans will naturally go back to the Feds. That is a given. The Klingon alts that are Romulan players will naturally go back to the KDF (they certainly won't go Fed!)...but there is going to be a segment of the Romulan player base that will consider Romulans to be their "main" from that point forward -- ask yourself this -- how many of THOSE are likely to go back to the Federation?

Few to none is my thought/opinion.

But....we will see. Wouldn't it be grand if a KDF/Rom alliance reaches near-parity with the Feds? Good bye monopoly.......will that happen? I can only hope :)

Edit -- and one more thought -- if 80% of the player base is "non-plussed" with what the KDF brings to the table...then PLEASE explain to me the constant whines and demands from the feds for:

Carriers
    Cloaking Device
    Leech consoles
    Universal BOFF positions
    BoP equivalents

Hmm...truth hurts?
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ztempest wrote:
    Let's look at it a different way...the Fed alts that will be made as Romulans will naturally go back to the Feds. That is a given. The Klingon alts that are Romulan players will naturally go back to the KDF (they certainly won't go Fed!)...but there is going to be a segment of the Romulan player base that will consider Romulans to be their "main" from that point forward -- ask yourself this -- how many of THOSE are likely to go back to the Federation?

I do agree with you ztempest, that last post makes sense to me.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder what side you are on LOL. Actually, I sort of already know, I think.
    The Undine of course. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Well....bad news. If you lookat the interview, you get this:

"Q: (walshicus) How will lockbox ships and consoles work for Romulans?

Dstahl: Romulan Republic captains not only have access to their exclusive faction ships, but will also have access to the ships and consoles of their chosen ally. Lock Box ships will remain available to all faction captains. This includes the possibility that we might release a Romulan themed box that may have specific Romulan ships that are available to all factions."