test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulans will be the best thing to happen to the KDF, here's why..

Comments

• majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I run a KDF fleet and we have less than a dozen accounts/players, probably closer to 8 to be honest. We are only nearing Tier 1. Most of the fleet is filled with alts, and most players aren't all that active on the KDF side and so only a couple of us really work on it. But with the resources we have already devoted to the fleet has forced us to remain committed.

So with all that I am in a way hoping they don't raise the fleet cap in the hope many of these Rom alt's will be searching for smaller fleets to join, fleets not packed out and want to easily be able to get a large number of fleet credits and opportunity to rise within the smaller fleets.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Because the most advanced Fed fleets are actually at 80% or more capacity (400+ players) and can't take on the Romulans coming. A change in fleet cap or some other setting would obviously alter this equation.
    Kick some of your alts from the fleet to make room for your green blooded brothers in arms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Whether I choose to play a Rom as KDF will depend entirely on how many Missions the Roms have - as well as whether or not the KDF get any new Missions. I already did my 6-50 grind on one KDF. I have no desire to do it again on a ROM. So if I can play a Rom and have enough Rom and KDF Missions to get to 50 without needing to endlessly grind warzones and the like then sure, I will gladly play the KDF side again.

As a non-PvPer I don't really care about the KDF ships/gear compared to the Fed ships/gear. I can take my free T5 with blue gear into an Elite STF and generally do about as well as someone with maxed-out purples in a 10-console ship. It's not as though the difference between "free and blue" and "C-Store and purple" has ever led me to fail and Elite STF or miss the bonus.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Kick some of your alts from the fleet to make room for your green blooded brothers in arms.

And what of the fleets who *have* no alts in their fleets?

Or were you actually suggesting people just kick Fed alts to allow Romulan alts, even though that won't come close to giving everyone a chance to play with their fleetmates?
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And what of the fleets who *have* no alts in their fleets?

Or were you actually suggesting people just kick Fed alts to allow Romulan alts, even though that won't come close to giving everyone a chance to play with their fleetmates?

Make an alt fleet. I know of a few people who run multiple fleets building them all up. Then they shuffle people around as needed. I know of one group that has 10 fleets with the main almost at t5. A few of the alternate fleets are even up past t3. It just takes a lot of organizing.
    edited April 2013
    robdmc wrote: »
    Make an alt fleet. I know of a few people who run multiple fleets building them all up. Then they shuffle people around as needed. I know of one group that has 10 fleets with the main almost at t5. A few of the alternate fleets are even up past t3. It just takes a lot of organizing.

Yeah, no. I think there'd be a lot of outrage if Cryptic expects that to be the status quo for all large fleets.
  • kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As someone who is looking to put my fed toon away and play my Romulan full-time:

I have to say that if the KDF is serious about courting Romulan players to their side they need to step up recruitment in places like the general forums and even the new Romulan recruitment forums.

In both I see several instances of Federation fleets and players giving prospective Romulan players options. In the recruitment section I have seen MAYBE one KDF group that is stating they WANT prospective Romulan players in their fleet. The others are either federation threads or federation primaries with KDF alt fleets.

As a person who is VERY interested in going from Federation to KDF with my new Romulan main It appears there is not much interest in recruiting them from the KDF side.

This isn'ta criticism but rather some feedback. If the KDF side wants to grow their ranks with new allies you need to let federation players who are rolling new Romulan mains you are interested.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,455 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ^^ THIS. I mean, it's really the most sensible option. Stick with the fleet you're already invested in. Or join a fleet that's already where you want to be. That's overwhelmingly the fed side. It's the easy path. For devs and players.

True. But even if 70% of the new romulans go federation, this means 30% goes Klingon and the Klingons are given a kiss of life.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, no. I think there'd be a lot of outrage if Cryptic expects that to be the status quo for all large fleets.
    Cryptic already told you what the status quo was. I mean, really, you're trying to convince me you have 500 separate people in your fleet with zero alts? I don't buy that. Neither should anyone here in the Klingon sub forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    Cryptic already told you what the status quo was. I mean, really, you're trying to convince me you have 500 separate people in your fleet with zero alts? I don't buy that. Neither should anyone here in the Klingon sub forums.

My Fed fleet has an open alt policy and there are 380 unique accounts in it (for 500 characters). My KDF fleet has the same policy and there are 338 unique accounts in it. There are a number of fleets with very strict alt policies that *are* at or near capacity already. Go talk to these Fed megafleets (i.e. 400-500 members) and see for yourself what their situation is: 1st Starfleet Germany, 44th Fleet, Access Denied, Ausmonauts, -Battle Group Judge-, Battle Group M.A.C.O., Borg Syndicate, Fed Alliance Fleet, Federation Deepspace Operations, Flotta Stellare Italiana, Fubar Inc, Guardians of Equestria, Inner Circle, Kodiak Legion, LaFamilia, Orion.Empire., Pride of the Federation, Proteus, REDdit Alert, TRIBBLE., Shadow Force, SSOG, Starfleet M.A.C.O., Starfleet Medical Command, Stonewall Fleet, UFP.

And yes, there are also several very large KDF fleets that will have similar issues.

Cryptic has said in the past they weren't going to raise the fleet cap, but obviously this news should merit that they relook at the policy since they want to significantly raise the number of characters on both the Fed and KDF side.

There are a number of possible solutions that come to mind: raise fleet cap (say to 1000), give a separate fleet cap for Romulan faction (500), or change it to 500 accounts regardless of alts.
    edited April 2013
    My Fed fleet has an open alt policy and there are 380 unique accounts in it (for 500 characters).
    Problem solved. You guys have more than enough room to accommodate Romulan alts. In either fleet. Glad I could help sort it out for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    Problem solved. You guys have more than enough room to accommodate Romulan alts. In either fleet. Glad I could help sort it out for you.

I can see you're not really interested in the issues I raised, since time and again you respond as if it's a particular problem and not a general one.

Though under this "logic" a fleet with 500 unique accounts doesn't have a problem with the cap either since you're obfuscation suggests you can just keep making more fleets and have everyone rotate around as needed.
    edited April 2013
    I can see you're not really interested in the issues I raised, since time and again you respond as if it's a particular problem and not a general one.
    It's not a general problem. It's a very particular problem. And your particular situation has a solution that's already been offered in this very thread. You can easily manage space for your fleets' Romulans. Without losing any functionality. Just need to have someone on the ball knowing names of alts to swap in and out as needed.
    Though under this "logic" a fleet with 500 unique accounts doesn't have a problem with the cap either since you're obfuscation suggests you can just keep making more fleets and have everyone rotate around as needed.
    If we can find an actual fleet that has 500 unique accounts we can address their particular issues on a case by case basis.

I'm of the opinion such a fleet doesn't exist.

Most fleets are comfortably within the fleet maximum members cap. In fact, judging by the amount of complaint threads about "smaller" fleets that populate these forums, one might think there's quite a few fleets out there that could use some new blood, Romulan green or otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    It's not a general problem. It's a very particular problem. And your particular situation has a solution that's already been offered in this very thread. You can easily manage space for your fleets' Romulans. Without losing any functionality. Just need to have someone on the ball knowing names of alts to swap in and out as needed.

If we can find an actual fleet that has 500 unique accounts we can address their particular issues on a case by case basis.

I'm of the opinion such a fleet doesn't exist.

A very particular problem, eh? I had just listed over 2 dozen fleets with 400-500 members on one faction alone -- and knowing that many have strict alt policies it's extremely likely many of them have upper 400 unique accounts in the fleet.

DStahl's Ask Cryptic was directly in reference to such fleets: "Now that many established Fleets are finishing their Tier 5 Starbases, we expect to see established guilds enticing all the New Romulans to join their cause in exchange for access to the best ships and gear the ally can offer." Not to start anew, not to join some Tier 1 fleet with 5 members, but to join their friends they've already been playing with for months or years without having to swap alts constantly to be in the same fleet.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    fleet cap is 500 characters? Thats plenty generous..
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    fleet cap is 500 characters? Thats plenty generous..

House of Beautiful Orions has a constant running maxed out at 500 - usually with a waiting list.

400+ are individual players

How will this work? the situation is that you are not on for 60 days you get kicked. When the new monthly kick happens its less than 10 people - so that means 400 active members - active all the time.

35 days till it has the first T5 KDF shipyard in the game - think anyone will be leaving? I don't think so.

So does that mean no Romulans in the fleet? Or kick out KDF players?

The cap must be increased - or at bare min - should be based on # of accounts and not alts
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    House of Beautiful Orions has a constant running maxed out at 500 - usually with a waiting list.

How will this work? the situation is that you are not on for 60 days you get kicked. When the new monthly kick happens its less than 10 people - so that means 400 active members - active all the time.

35 days till it has the first T5 KDF shipyard in the game - think anyone will be leaving? I don't think so.

The cap must be increased - or at bare min - should be based on # of accounts and not alts
    Start a new starbase, then.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    krovan wrote: »
    The benefit for the Klingons is that the bulk of romluan players are either going to be ex feds, or people that don't have interest in the federation in the first place.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the vast majority of Romulan captains are going to be alts of existing fed and KDF players. While some will indeed choose to go to the other faction to see what's what and if the grass is greener while simultaneously experiencing the first substantial brand new story content in forever, most will probably stick to their main's factions.

This will likely be the case for Feds in particular since by now most fed players have rolled one, or two, or a few KDF farmer alts and through those already experienced what content the KDF has to offer.
    edited April 2013

Exactly! I'm glad there's a few people in the thread who are approaching the issue in a serious manner. As I said at the top of the page, there's a number of very suitable options: add more slots for fleet members, add Romulan faction only slots to fleets, or make it by account instead of character.
    edited April 2013
    The problem is that that only exacerbates the small fleet 'problem'.
    edited April 2013
    squishkin wrote: »
    The problem is that that only exacerbates the small fleet 'problem'.

Not really: DStahl specifically addressed small fleets in Ask Cryptic and said they'll be getting some help soon:
    Q: (azurianstar) Are you still considering scaling down Dilithium Costs or creating an alliance/co-op system to help small fleets advance their Starbases?

Dstahl: Yes, we are and plan to address small Fleet project challenges and will release more information about it closer to the May release.
    edited April 2013
    Not really: DStahl specifically addressed small fleets in Ask Cryptic and said they'll be getting some help soon:

This is an alliance system that helps small fleets!
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It will get worse, as the Rommie-Fed hybrids are going to outnumber Rommie-KDF just as much as Fed vs KDF now. And they will all be looking for KDF to shoot.

People who only play Fed will naturally choose Fed. Its where their fleets and friends are. Its where their C-Store ships and consoles are.

This. It would have been to the KDFs advantage to not have an ally system and to make Romulans start from scratch with their own fleets and starbases, then use them to fill queues.

As it is now even brand new Romulan players would be better off joining Fed because there is just more Fed fleets with more starbases and more ships with consoles.
    edited April 2013
    hahahahahahahahahaah.

You're in the Klingon Gameplay Subforum. And telling the folks who hang out in the Klingon Gameplay Subforum that DStahl has made a promise that a problem will be addressed ... get this ... "SOON!"

I need a minute ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    And telling the folks who hang out in the Klingon Gameplay Subforum that DStahl has made a promise that a problem will be addressed ... get this ... "SOON!"

I know you were just kidding around, but just in case someone mistakes that for a serious post: Stahl was specifically referring to May 21...y'know, the expansion that's exactly 7 weeks away today.
  • khanstruewrathkhanstruewrath Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I boil my concern about your conclusion to this: Why would a New Romulan join a KDF fleet when KDF fleets are not as far along in progression as Fed fleets? They can get better tier things more easily on Fed side than KDF. House of Beautiful Orion's might get interest, but why would anyone join a tier 1-4 KDF fleet? I see little motivation or incentive, so the likely result will be to join their existing FED fleet and enjoy the hard work they already invested.

Just my view. Who knows. Things change.

upside down heroin melting spoon fliers!
    Romulus burned, untold billions died.
    It's the Tal'shiars doing, Sela lied.
    Vengeance is born, with eternal scorn.
    New Romulus rises.
  • andoriansrusandoriansrus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I see this mostly as a backhanded way to give the federation more cloaking ships than the Gal-X and Defiant Retrofit..... so be prepared my Klingon Brothers and Sisters the feds will have the cloaking device soon even if its not a federation ship using them....
    Major Xi'Zzin
    I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
    Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
    I have never trusted humans, and I never will
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I see this mostly as a backhanded way to give the federation more cloaking ships than the Gal-X and Defiant Retrofit..... so be prepared my Klingon Brothers and Sisters the feds will have the cloaking device soon even if its not a federation ship using them....

Good maybe that get fed players to stop hiding in FvF queues and come out and fight the Klingons and their Romulan underlings.
    edited April 2013
    I know you were just kidding around, but just in case someone mistakes that for a serious post: Stahl was specifically referring to May 21...y'know, the expansion that's exactly 7 weeks away today.

Until it hits holodeck assume anything is vaporware. And even then nothing is above being taken out to be fixed and never get put back in.
    edited April 2013
    Good maybe that get fed players to stop hiding in FvF queues and come out and fight the Klingons and their Romulan underlings.

Lol! I think this is going to simply kill FvF pvp as well. *sigh* Maybe the game will be better off then, they can concentrate on creating balanced items for PvE then (mbuahahahah! like balance in any form is in anyone's mind over at Cryptic!!lololol)