test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mouse Cusor Can't Select anything on Character Select Screen

angelus214angelus214 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Tribble - Bug Reports
I load into tribble and see the character screen but I cant press a single button on the screen.

I cant play on tribble I cant log out I cant create a new character nothing

anyone else having this?
Untitled_1.jpg

Executive Officer of Alpha Squadron
Post edited by angelus214 on

Comments

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited March 2013
    angelus214 wrote: »
    I load into tribble and see the character screen but I cant press a single button on the screen.

anyone else having this?

There are others who reported this bug and the team is investigating. Thanks for the report!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just patched Tribble but found after the client loads - at the character select screen - I have what looks like my windows desktop mouse cursor; and although I can move it around, as I mouse over stuff, nothing changes, and I can't select anything on that screen to proceed (I move the mouse over something - Left Click - and nothing.

I am still running under Windows XP (SP3) - fully patched - as the OS on this particular PC; and I also run STO under 'Fullscreen' mode (as opposed to 'Windowed Mode').

[I remember there was a Foundry bug that only occurred in Fullscreen mode; and not in windowed mode - so that's why I mention the above.]

In had to head out to work so I couldn't try more - but figured I'd come and post what I had so far with regard to this current bug.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Win XP here too, and some other person mentioned using this system as well. I wonder if it's related to the issue somehow.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    Win XP here too, and some other person mentioned using this system as well. I wonder if it's related to the issue somehow.
    I am starting to suspect this as well (same problem here, and same OS). I do have another computer with Win 7 (it is inferior in other respects, which is why I prefer my XP-computer when the option is open) - perhaps I should try and see if the problem exists there?
    (I can also observe that at least once the cursor changed to the game one after alt-tabbing out, then back in - it still didn't work, unfortunately).
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    same issue here under winskin. Don't have enough space for tribble on my Win7 machine
  • milesvaugnmilesvaugn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As above, but I don't get to the character creation screen. The first thing I encounter on Tribble is the "Adjust your monitor's settings" screen -- the one where you adjust the color of the background against the black, dark grey, and light grey lines of text.

There is no way to select anything, and no way to exit -- other than forcing a process shutdown through the taskmanager. Messy.

I understand the team is examining this; is there a prospective timeline on this, or any progress to report? I'd really love to try out some of the new features being showcased on Tribble at the moment.

Thanks in advance for trying to fix this.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i cant click anything, and im on XP
  • thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i cant click anything, and im on XP

This.

UI is currently relegated to "pretty but useless" status for tribble.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is it accurate that ALL of you are on XP?

This is critically important to know, so please answer if you can.

Also, if you're reading this and you're on XP and you DO NOT have this bug, please also let us know.

Thanks!
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have an XP machine and a Win7 machine. Win7 is flawless, but the XP one is experiencing the "can't click" issue as well. Again, SP3 + fully patched.

I tried safe mode (which made it windowed) as well as full-screen. Still no clickies.

About to try a "force verify" and see if that helps.

For the record, I'm stuck at the "adjust brightness" screen, not character select.
    edited March 2013
    Yes, I'm using Windows XP SP3 Home and I am experiencing these issues.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • captcokecancaptcokecan Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    angelus214 wrote: »

anyone else having this?

Yup! I concur, I am having this issue too.
    Hey I just vaped you, and this is crazy;
    But here's my frequency, so hail me maybe?
    edited March 2013
    adwynyth wrote: »
    I have an XP machine and a Win7 machine. Win7 is flawless, but the XP one is experiencing the "can't click" issue as well. Again, SP3 + fully patched.

I tried safe mode (which made it windowed) as well as full-screen. Still no clickies.

About to try a "force verify" and see if that helps.

For the record, I'm stuck at the "adjust brightness" screen, not character select.

Nope..."Force Verify" fixed nothing.

The next thing I'm pursuing is a way to work around it by disabling hardware cursor in the gameprefs.pref file, if I can figure out how to do that, just to see if it has anything to do with it.
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is it accurate that ALL of you are on XP?

This is critically important to know, so please answer if you can.

Also, if you're reading this and you're on XP and you DO NOT have this bug, please also let us know.

Thanks!

I would tend to think the anecdotal evidence would say, "Yes! It's Win XP Related!"

I don't recall where in the Announcements Thread it is, but I seem to recall a poster mentioning something along the lines of some of the LCARS issues looking like Aero problems. Since, IIRC, Aero is Win Vista+ Tech I wouldn't be surprised to see XP machines having issues.

So this begs the Question: Are the System Requirements to play STO going to change with Legacy of Romulus? If they are, I can guarantee at least two players who won't touch STO (or anything Cryptic/PWE) for the foreseeable future. Upgrading to Win 7/8 is not in the short to medium term outlook at this time.

EDIT: Ignore my Aero Comments for the moment. I found the comment I was looking for and misread the posters remarks. But I think my Question about is STO's System Requirements possibly changing is still a valid one to ask.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
    edited March 2013
    Nope..."Force Verify" fixed nothing.

The next thing I'm pursuing is a way to work around it by disabling hardware cursor in the gameprefs.pref file, if I can figure out how to do that, just to see if it has anything to do with it.

Okay, no joy from enabling "software cursor". At least, doing so in the gameprefs.pref file that's in the Playtest\Localdata folder. If I have to do it in the other Localdata folder (the one that's neither under Live nor Playtest, then I can try that, but I'm out of time and patience for testing right now. I'll try that later.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    XP here as well. no ability to click on anything in the character select screen
    edited March 2013
    tymersto wrote: »
    So this begs the Question: Are the System Requirements to play STO going to change with Legacy of Romulus? If they are, I can guarantee at least two players who won't touch STO (or anything Cryptic/PWE) for the foreseeable future. Upgrading to Win 7/8 is not in the short to medium term outlook at this time.
    Same here. If they suddenly decide XP is not supported it'll mean no STO for me, and I guess many other players as well. I just won't switch to a different OS just for one game, especially since XP is still working just fine for my needs, while 7 isn't cheap.

Good thing is, their business would suffer as a result, so I doubt they'll leave it like this.
    PyKDqad.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Okay, no joy from enabling "software cursor". At least, doing so in the gameprefs.pref file that's in the Playtest\Localdata folder. If I have to do it in the other Localdata folder (the one that's neither under Live nor Playtest, then I can try that, but I'm out of time and patience for testing right now. I'll try that later.

Used an online diff tool on my Live and Playtest gameprefs.pref files and the only likely suspect was a line in the Playtest one that seemed to disable graphics hardware instancing. Took it out, and still no joy.

Zer0nius, I'll be logged into Holodeck for a bit if you happen to be on and want to have me try anything specific. 20+ years in tech support, so I know how break/fix testing works.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm running Windows 8 and experiencing nothing like that at all.
  • nyasayanyasaya Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm on Windows XP Professional SP3 and i can't click on anything either. Have to terminate the game from the windows task manager. :(

I was able to play on Tribble before this update just fine. My tribble rewards is a testament to that.

I'm able to play on the Holodeck server just fine. :)
    LEmWhkGA.gif
  • zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank you everyone for your assistance in tracking this down.

I've followed up with some programmers, and they have a workaround for you until we can get the code change in a build for you.

Workaround:
    • Open your launcher.
    • Click on Options on the top right.
    • In Advanced command line, enter the following:
      • -enablerawinputsupport 0
    • Click OK and launch the game as usual.

I've tested this on an XP machine we have here in the office and it cleared up the issue for me. If this is unsuccessful for you, please let me know.
  • shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I've followed up with some programmers, and they have a workaround for you until we can get the code change in a build for you.

Workaround:
    • Open your launcher.

I've tested this on an XP machine we have here in the office and it cleared up the issue for me. If this is unsuccessful for you, please let me know.

Im useing XP as well, and the workaround you posted works like a charm for me, thanks, your a god!
    ogew7.jpg
  • nyasayanyasaya Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Woohoo! Yeah it works. Thank you very much Cryptic team. :D
    LEmWhkGA.gif
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Workaround:
    • Open your launcher.

Yep, that did it.
    Hopefully this can get patch-fixed in short order.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Considering Microsoft is terminating it's support for the xp platform in April 2014, don't waste your time on debugging people's outdated operating systems Cryptic.
    edited March 2013
    Workaround:
    • Open your launcher.
    Worked for me. Hope to see it patched.
    nynik wrote: »
    Considering Microsoft is terminating it's support for the xp platform in April 2014, don't waste your time on debugging people's outdated operating systems Cryptic.
    >outdated
    >still one year to go
    Yeah, right.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • alchemistidalchemistid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Used the command line (-enablerawinputsupport 0) to log into Tribble, and I'm getting monster slowdown issues from the UI. Disabled the Tribble UI with alt+F12 and the game runs at a normal pace. Anyone else experiencing this?

Logged into Holodeck afterward and the game ran just fine.

edit: Tried sending a bug report on Tribble twice, it failed both times.
  • angelus214angelus214 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry alchemistid after i logged in (yeah woohoo bueno!!!!) it was ok for me

and THANKS!!!!!!! zer0niusrex appreciate you taking the time to sort this for up XP'ers
    Untitled_1.jpg

Executive Officer of Alpha Squadron
  • sionlancersionlancer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Workaround:
    • Open your launcher.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THANK YOU!!!!! this code worked for me and I can access my tribble toons again. Btw, epic job on the new char. select UI.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There are others who reported this bug and the team is investigating. Thanks for the report!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Me too. I just tried to transfer my character over and I believe the two hours have elapsed. Still no toon, and still no clickable buttons anywhere on the Tribble loading screen.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.