test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"The Academy" Stickies Need a Little Tidying Up

ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Academy
Can the stickies above my post be cleaned up a bit? Maybe create one sticky thread with links to all of the above stickies. Also, clear out ones with outdated information. Not so bad when looking at the forums on a computer, but on a cell phone, it's an awful lot to scroll through.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Post edited by ravin on

Comments

• Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This thread needs a sticky!
  • Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    This thread needs a sticky!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

In all seriousness, viewing and posting on a smartphone is extremely annoying. Even scrolling down on a computer is annoying, since half the page is stickies. I don't know if consolidating them into 1 sticky link is the way to go, but at least consolidate them into some sort of rhyme or reason please.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    Can the stickies above my post be cleaned up a bit? Maybe create one sticky thread with links to all of the above stickies. Also, clear out ones with outdated information. Not so bad when looking at the forums on a computer, but on a cell phone, it's an awful lot to scroll through.

There is in fact already an Academy Index sticky in the list. The problem is, even if it was the only sticky there, people being people, largely wouldn't think to look at it first if they have a question.

Even though the list is long, I think it's still better than having a single link because people don't like clicking multiple times to get to the topic they want and while it being so long may lose a few people who don't want to read through all the topic titles, I would bet it loses less people than having a single sticky with a generic name would.

And of course, having one sticky thread means someone needs to be constantly updating it, since you can't simply unsticky parts of it or sticky on new parts.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think the point the OP is trying to make is this: every page of The Academy forum displays 27 stickied threads. (at this moment)

Now I've been using forums for some years, and it makes sense for the sticky threads to be posted at the "top" of the forum. But I don't recall stickies being on every single page. This is about half the viewable area wasted if what I'm looking for is new content.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    I think the point the OP is trying to make is this: every page of The Academy forum displays 27 stickied threads. (at this moment)

Now I've been using forums for some years, and it makes sense for the sticky threads to be posted at the "top" of the forum. But I don't recall stickies being on every single page. This is about half the viewable area wasted if what I'm looking for is new content.

That's just how the forum software works I guess, and honestly, it's how most forums work that I've used. If that's a setting that can be changed, I'd be all for it, so the stickies only show on the first page, but if not, there's probably not much they can do about it.