test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Voyager

2»

Comments

• philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Of all the series, Voyager by far had the best intro and theme song.

Youtube

When I saw/heard it during the first airing, it brought a tear to my eye.

Voyager was my sons' introduction to the Star Trek galaxy, a passion we still share today.

So Voyager will always be No.1 with me for this reason alone.
    Are we there yet?
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordvedli wrote: »
    DS9 did more with the Marquis and the Marquis wasn't even envisioned as been a part of DS9, they were specifically created for Voyager.
    The Maquis were an integral aspect of DS9, created for DS9. They appeared in 1994 in the 2-parter that introduced Sisko's old buddy Lt. Commander Calvin Hudson. That's about 9 months prior to the debut of Voyager with Caretaker.

The storyline for the Maquis is woven directly into the Bajoran and Cardassian conflict. They were always intended to play the role they played on DS9 as a recurring group of antagonists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkbennett2008jkbennett2008 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Voyager and Enterprise are by far my favorite shows. I liked Voyager because of it's uniqueness, stories, and overall plot and characters. I also like Voyager because of the ship, best looking ship in my opinion. I am disappointed in the ending though, I would've liked to see more. As for Enterprise, it's because Archer didn't let the Vulcan protocols stand in his way, among other things.
    Emma
    Virinat Detachment
  • erikmodierikmodi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Voyager is my second favorite, after TOS.

I liked it because I felt it got back to the basics of Star Trek, with more an emphasis on storytelling, instead of on explaining the current technobabble crisis to the satisfaction of the ten people watching who happen to have PhDs in that particular field. I thought Janeway was an amazing character, though I do agree somewhat on her inconsistency, Chakotay usually called her on it, which it part of what I loved. . . their relationship, and how the show wasn't afraid to show their Captain going off the rails and needing to be reigned back in. While I admit that the disappearance of the Starfleet/Maquis conflict was a little annoying, I liked how the show focused on the characters and their development over the course of the show. I even appreciated the "reset button" episodes, like Year of Hell, for showing exactly how bad things could get and what would happen when they got that way. . . while "resetting" can be annoying, the show would rapidly lose interest if Voyager is literally falling apart. And speaking of which. . . that ship was hardly the most powerful one around. Even against technologically inferior races like the Kazon, Voyager was getting beaten more often than not. I do agree that the ship's condition seemed too stable. . . part of the premise of the show was that Voyager was a short-range ship, never meant to stray too far from Federation territory or go on long missions without resupply. As a budding writer, I actually thought about a plot arc for the show, some three or four episodes, where they pull over at a fairly friendly, fairly advanced civilization for drydock maintenance and repairs. . . that would have been something I'd like to have seen.

But on the whole, I felt the series had some of the strongest writing and characters of any Star Trek show since the original.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the last 3 seasons of ds9 are why my vote goes DS9 dom war was ace
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I liked TOS and Enterprise. Being surprised and confused by stuff going on around them, solving problems with human abilities instead of always being beamed out at the last second. Voyager and TNG, they were never surprised by anything, and farted up whatever magic was needed to fix whatever problem arose. I thought DS9 would be good for the interpersonal stuff but I wanted to beat Sisko everytime he started in on one of his 20-minute baseball metaphors, and that Bajorin butch lady was equally annoying--couldnt watch it.
    edited April 2013
    I knew Enterprise was going to make me mad the first time I heard the phrase "temporal cold war." There's enough great stuff to explore in that setting without resorting to time travel mess-things-up TRIBBLE.

That said, they had some great episodes, but overall the series killed my interest in the Star Trek franchise. The reboot movie brought it back.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree the temporal stuff was awful. They wasted the whole 2nd season. It was all completely unnecessary and a huge distraction. Also the attack on Earth was unnecessary as well. But I liked the individual episodes and the encounters.
    edited April 2013
    That, and the whole Xindi arc was a waste of a season. Anyone who knows their Star Trek history knows that the two important events informed the early Federation: The Klingon War and the Romulan War. When you have two perfectly good historical wars to play around with, why would you introduce a new species no one's ever heard of before and proceed to spend a whole year on a war with them? Especially since DS9 just got done with, what, three or four seasons worth of Dominion War? Trek fans are a little war weary, and deciding to throw in a war that doesn't have any basis in the already-established history was just dumb.

It's exactly why the phrase "temporal cold war" bothered me so much. It meant that I wasn't watching a show about humanity taking their first steps into the galactic community. . . I was watching a show about some morons from the future TRIBBLE around with humanity's first steps into the galactic community, and that just wasn't a show I was very interested in watching.
  • glados122glados122 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I find the temporal arc a ''realistic'' idea because as seen on star trek tos movie four.
    The crew could danger the whole history by getting a pair of whales.
    that's why i like ENT its everything that's possible. and i love the theme song.