test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I might have known...

nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
I might have known the big countdown would be something of a let down. Come on - a ginormous count-down to an announcement about something coming that's appparently been coming for a while anyways? It's rather like all the work involved in the reputation & fleet systems - anti-climactic, if not downright disappointing. You put in huge amounts of effort for not a lot of reward. One completes a task; then something is unlocked, and then you still have to grind to get the actual thing you started after in the first place; then grind even more to advance or complete a set. If I wanted my gaming to be like an actual job instead of a past-time, then I would definetly recommend this to a friend. Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy almost every other aspect of this game except these things. I hope Neverwinter isn't like this; but I suspect I may be too late with my concerns. I tried to purchase the Hero of the North pack during the last Beta weekend with my debit card, only to learn that (for a reason which still eludes me) it wouldn't work. I learned customer support wasn't available on-line or on the phone on the weekends, so I tried again Monday. The automated message told me repeatedly to try again some other time, as all the associates were busy helping other customers. So, I figured that it wasn't really worth it anyways if that's how slack support was going to be. I'll just buy PWE cards when I want something in game, and pay as I go just like I do now with STO. I felt more than a bit insulted when they started offering STO gear with the Hero of the North pack, which this experience has now made me unwilling to purchase. No bonus ship (especially one that is gimped) is worth the hassle of trying again when they are so unwilling to help themselves get money I have already tried 3 or 4 times to spend! If STO wasn't FtP, I would be still be gaming elsewhere.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey! That's your second post! Welcome to the forums!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I guess this is when I'm glad I'm just a casual player. I'm completely stoked (no pun intended) for the big reveal. Even though most people surmised it was a Romulan faction, being able to see it as a 100% certainty, along with Klingons getting a full 1 - 50 faction experience, is something I've been hoping for for this game for a long while.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Big wall of text...plus I would like to know where you got the information that a Romulan faction is coming for sure in may before now?
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How the bleeding hell is confirmation of a long-awaited faction alongside evidence that the KDF will be getting its missing levels and additional content, by any stretch of the imagination, a let down?
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Another individual that slept through or outright skipped English composition classes? Or maybe they just haven't taken any yet? :confused:
  • Options
    voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited March 2013
    I feel that some people would get to heaven and complain that the buffet isn't nice enough.

How can you feel "let down" about new content, new storyline, and entire faction, and KDF finally being able to do story missions from 1-50? What were you expecting them to announce, that they're taking us all to Vegas?
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You were let down by 20 levels of Klingon content, an entirely new 3rd faction, a modifiable layout AND the ability to finally, good God, after so many years, modify your player traits?

Ohwell, maybe they'll introduce a few other things in the next two months that will stoke your interest.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This from one of my cousin's... Long-Wind the Troll.

He's from my father's side of the family...

The LongWinded-ShortIntellect branch.

We love um but try to keep them mostly under the bridge.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I might have known the big countdown would be something of a let down. Come on - a ginormous count-down to an announcement about something coming that's appparently been coming for a while anyways?

It's rather like all the work involved in the reputation & fleet systems - anti-climactic, if not downright disappointing. You put in huge amounts of effort for not a lot of reward. One completes a task; then something is unlocked, and then you still have to grind to get the actual thing you started after in the first place; then grind even more to advance or complete a set.

If I wanted my gaming to be like an actual job instead of a past-time, then I would definetly recommend this to a friend. Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy almost every other aspect of this game except these things. I hope Neverwinter isn't like this; but I suspect I may be too late with my concerns.

I tried to purchase the Hero of the North pack during the last Beta weekend with my debit card, only to learn that (for a reason which still eludes me) it wouldn't work. I learned customer support wasn't available on-line or on the phone on the weekends, so I tried again Monday. The automated message told me repeatedly to try again some other time, as all the associates were busy helping other customers.

So, I figured that it wasn't really worth it anyways if that's how slack support was going to be. I'll just buy PWE cards when I want something in game, and pay as I go just like I do now with STO. I felt more than a bit insulted when they started offering STO gear with the Hero of the North pack, which this experience has now made me unwilling to purchase.

No bonus ship (especially one that is gimped) is worth the hassle of trying again when they are so unwilling to help themselves get money I have already tried 3 or 4 times to spend! If STO wasn't FtP, I would be still be gaming elsewhere.

Fixed. Now that wasn't too hard, was it?
    What a bunch of lazy, mean people these first posters are.
    Complaining about a post when they can simply fix it in a quote!

Hell, it didn't take me ten seconds, I mean, really? people? pssh. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    How the bleeding hell is confirmation of a long-awaited faction alongside evidence that the KDF will be getting its missing levels and additional content, by any stretch of the imagination, a let down?
    No one has ever said that the KDF were getting their missing levels. All that was said was that the KDF were getting a new Tutorial that will allow them to start from level 0/1 - which is not that big of a deal considering the KDF used to start at around level 6 at one time. There is no mention of new KDF missions at all - outside of the Tutorial.

Likewise, there is no information that the Romulan Faction will have more than a handful of Mission. It could end up being much like the KDF: 10ish Missions, access to FEs, and doing PvP and Exploration Zone grinding to get to level 50.

People need to calm down and wait for the dozens of blogs yet to come. I think everyone is building themselves into a frenzy that is only going to lead to disappointment once the blogs start.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Big wall of text...plus I would like to know where you got the information that a Romulan faction is coming for sure in may before now?

wall of text crits you for 68966898 damage ....some people just like to complain..me I like to complain about complaining
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey! That's your second post! Welcome to the forums!

What he lacks in posts he makes up for in wordiness. ;)
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like the whole "Cryptic is forgiven for everything!" attitude sweeping the forums. Shows how easily swayed people can be.

So...vulnerable...so fragile...

Easy to exploit...

:eek:

*ahem*

Anyway, I want more details first. Then if I like what a see, I'll be happy to lose my s*** then. :P
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I feel that some people would get to heaven and complain that the buffet isn't nice enough.

How can you feel "let down" about new content, new storyline, and entire faction, and KDF finally being able to do story missions from 1-50? What were you expecting them to announce, that they're taking us all to Vegas?
    It's not enough ! We should have more ! And I'm sure they do that to take our money ! Even if it's free !

It's a trap !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    a new Tutorial that will allow them to start from level 0/1

If the KDF is missing levels 1 - 19. And those levels are re-added. Does that not mean they been given their missing levels?

Believe me, I'm not assuming anyone is being given enough content to completely fill a full leveling experience. But they are adding those levels to KDF. They've confirmed a new tutorial. They've confirmed at least some new content is coming. Likewise, I'm not expecting the Romulans to have a full suite of missions for the leveling experience. As a matter of fact I think your guess is basically the most likely outcome.

But none of that dampens the fact that Cryptic has pulled together what many assumed was simply impossible; they've got a new faction. And I guarantee they wouldn't have bothered if they didn't have all the bare necessities for a faction ready to go - DOffs, a starbase, ships, and missions. Even if the actual number of missions added to the KDF is small, and even if the number of Romulan missions is unimpressive compared to the Feds, we're still looking at a gargantuan upcoming release, absolutely living up to their claims of it as the biggest ever for STO. Nothing in my statement you quoted is outlandish or presumptuous.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ...about what I expected. Forum elitists, Fanbois & grammar police.
  • Options
    thomasfattiestthomasfattiest Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Listen OP, it's just a game.

With the budget they have, consider yourself lucky there is still new content and game servers up.

This is a business. They have X amount of dollars to spend.

They don't have time to satisfy every nerd like you.

For most fans, the game is great. There isn't a team of 1000 guys trying to get STO perfect.

Suggest you accept it for what it is, a great game with some small shortcomings, or GTFO.

Get a life man, stop crying like a little TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ...about what I expected. Forum elitists, Fanbois & grammar police.

Then why did you post in such a way to make it so easy to flame your post?

Perhaps if you posted something so people could read it easily, and had some coherent thoughts, then perhaps the response would of been different.

I mean seriously, you post a bunch of hard to read drivel, and then feel like you're being attacked for having done so. Guess this just more proof that the whole victim mentality is alive and well.
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In the beginning, there was darkness, and then came the light of knowledge of STO! ;)

Seriously though, At STO's release, you had to level a Fed character to L6 (which awarded you an accolade) in order to unlock the KDF which then allowed you to start the KDF character at L1.

And thusly, Cryptic is now planning on returning the ability to start a character at L1 to the KDF faction and provide them with leveling content other than just PvP or exploration sectors.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    If the KDF is missing levels 1 - 19. And those levels are re-added. Does that not mean they been given their missing levels?
    Given the levels and given the Mission Content are two different things. If you recall, we started our KDF at around level 6 without any Missions at all back in the day and had to grind are way to level-cap - and that was even pre-FE too. There's nothing saying that's not going to be the case in May. The only KDF Mission Cryptic has stated they've added is a Tutorial. We shouldn't assume more.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    sarovensaroven Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The OP proves that anyone can complain about anything. A literal dream come true for a lot of Romulan fans is coming in two months and that's a let down? Please let me be as "let down" buying lottery tickets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    I like the whole "Cryptic is forgiven for everything!" attitude sweeping the forums. Shows how easily swayed people can be.

Well that is nothing new.

Cryptic: "Well, our patch broke the game to the point that each time you press a button you will actually lose Zen, Dilithium, and Marks but hey, here is a new Kurplunket-class Bird of Uber Destruction that you know we will nerf in 2 weeks anyway."

Players: *collective drooling over the new shiney* "Ok, all is well."
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    utioutio Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder who first used the word ginormous.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ruh-roh...I left out munchkins. 98% of the replies to this point fit one of those 4 categories. Keep 'em coming. I may decide to categorize them at some point.
  • Options
    janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Seriously, who uses a debit card online? Use a credit card like the rest of the world and you won't have these problems.

Also, 99% of large, multinational companies can't take your call immediately. I don't see what's so shocking about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I am going to assume more on the fact going back to XP grind when they themselves realized that was a issue and so raised the starting level to what it is would mean ...

They are idiots.

Starting at lv1 and having to grind their way to lv 20 is simply absurd and it would kill the faction for good because who is going to be willing to Foundry/DOFF/Way of the Warrior their way to Lv 20 so they can start playing content.

Without normal leveling by missions starting at level 1 is just looking at a XP grind wall with no content, nobody on their right mind is going to stand for it.
    Of course the XP levels could be drastically raised to rapidly increase the grind from 1 to 25 - which was mentioned as one possibility in a podcast a while back.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If the Romulan and KDF factions have about the same number of unique missions as the Feds had at launch, then I would be really impressed. Patrol missions can be ignored since they don't seem any better than exploration missions. Just adding 5 or 10 new KDF missions is not enough for them adding a new faction. KDF should be at the level of completion that Feds had at launch before the Romulan faction should be added.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    You're assuming it's not also a credit card, which it is. Nice try, though. And my point about the other thing wasn't that it was shocking, but that their customer service kinda sucks. Also not shocking before you point that out. Guess we can call you Lt. Commander Obvious.