test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The (Un)Official "Name Our Romulan Heroine Contest"!

124»

Comments

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    S'lutti , or space elf take 2. I can't wait to see the Neverwinter log on page... no trashy elf maidens there I'm sure.:rolleyes:

What's better then trashy elf maidens? Space elves :D !

We need to put So'hot in a wallpaper with T'TRIBBLE.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Clearly, her name is Bubba.
  • opheliadraegonneopheliadraegonne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My name ;

Kal'Qatrix

From the latin spelling of cockatrice; calcatrix. A bird of prey which petrifies its enemies.

As an aside ; is it possible to have name suggestions that are not objectifying and degrading?
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As an aside ; is it possible to have name suggestions that are not objectifying and degrading?

Mine wasn't that.

"Fi'ft sh'ads'f gre'n"
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My name ;

Kal'Qatrix

From the latin spelling of cockatrice; calcatrix. A bird of prey which petrifies its enemies.

I'm stealing that name for a Romulan ship.

As for the names; I find that more often than not, political correctness is far less amusing than the alternative.
    edited March 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I'm stealing that name for a Romulan ship.

As for the names; I find that more often than not, political correctness is far less amusing than the alternative.

It was actually what I was going to name a ship lol.

And there is a difference between being politically incorrect and being a douche. The idea of PC is stupid and amounts to censorship. However; as a woman it would be nice to be able to hangout in a game forum without everyone going "ZOMG TITTIES!!!!" Don't get me wrong, I love TRIBBLE as well. They are fantastic. But how would you feel if both in daily life and in your hobby and leisure the majority of the opposite sex talked about you almost solely in terms of your body parts?
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013

And there is a difference between being politically incorrect and being a douche. The idea of PC is stupid and amounts to censorship. However; as a woman it would be nice to be able to hangout in a game forum without everyone going "ZOMG TITTIES!!!!" Don't get me wrong, I love TRIBBLE as well. They are fantastic. But how would you feel if both in daily life and in your hobby and leisure the majority of the opposite sex talked about you almost solely in terms of your body parts?

Hey now. I think the people that think names like "T'TRIBBLE" or "So'hot" or whatever are a source of never-ending mirth are morons. So it's not "everyone".

Although, to be fair, the Vulcan's design is pretty gratuitous and calling her TBoobs could be said to be sarcastic.
    edited March 2013

And if So'Hot or T'TRIBBLE were people, or at the very least characters whom we get to know in some capacity, such as being characters in a movie or that we get to know through interaction during a game, then I'd agree with you. In these cases the point is usually to create someone who is interesting to watch or interact with, and when that's your goal, blatant objectification more often than not harms that process.

But the Romulan and Vulcan chicks are static advertisements, and not even flesh-and-blood to boot. There's no personality there to start with outside what the artist can inject (and in So'Hot's case, the artist did a wonderful job of that). They essentially are objects here, tools to advertise the game. Objectifying an object is hardly demeaning to the object in question.

EDIT: If it means anything, my suggestion was Deedee. As in D'd. As in D'deridex. 'cause there's one beside/behind her. I thought it was clever. But either no one else got it or it was far less clever than I initially believed.
    edited March 2013
    Hey now. I think the people that think names like "T'TRIBBLE" or "So'hot" or whatever are a source of never-ending mirth are morons. So it's not "everyone".

Although, to be fair, the Vulcan's design is pretty gratuitous and calling her TBoobs could be said to be sarcastic.

I wouldn't have cared if it was just some random people being "morons" in the thread. Like I tend to ignore most of the misogyny, racism and homophobia in the STO main chat.Not generally worth my time unless someone seems singled out. Big difference when that stuff gets elevated to voting consideration and is winning. That is a tad telling.
    edited March 2013
    And if So'Hot or T'TRIBBLE were people, or at the very least characters whom we get to know in some capacity, such as being characters in a movie or that we get to know through interaction during a game, then I'd agree with you. In these cases the point is usually to create someone who is interesting to watch or interact with, and when that's your goal, blatant objectification more often than not harms that process.

But the Romulan and Vulcan chicks are static advertisements, and not even flesh-and-blood to boot. There's no personality there to start with outside what the artist can inject (and in So'Hot's case, the artist did a wonderful job of that). They essentially are objects here, tools to advertise the game. Objectifying an object is hardly demeaning to the object in question.

It is when those objects are meant to depict people, and you objectify them for the group they represent. You are rationalizing. Does a drawing of a woman as opposed to a photograph suddenly make **** jokes ok, for instance?
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But either no one else got it or it was far less clever than I initially believed.

Those are not mutually exclusive.
    edited March 2013
    So'hot wasn't even itself a particularly offensive name. If you want to know what really ticked me off, have a read through the names that made it into the OP and see if you can find them.
    edited March 2013
    It is when those objects are meant to depict people, and you objectify them for the group they represent. You are rationalizing. Does a drawing of a woman as opposed to a photograph suddenly make **** jokes ok, for instance?

As long as the jokes are just that - jokes - then where's the problem?

Granted, there's the little matter of taste. "wench" and "P'Ros'Titute" for instance, were just plain unfunny. They're offensive without even a hint of redeeming cleverness. But those are the only ones that stand out as really bad.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

lol, fair enough.
    edited March 2013
    Granted, there's the little matter of taste. "wench" and "P'Ros'Titute" for instance, were just plain unfunny. They're offensive without even a hint of redeeming cleverness. But those are the only ones that stand out as really bad.

Ding ding

They are not just offensive, they are marginalizing. Wench in some context can be fine, as in "serving wench." However P'Ros'Titute is just plain hateful.

Truthfully; most of the others I smirked at. P'Ros'Titute should not have made the front page.

As far as whether some things should be joked about or not, consider this ; Sometimes some of the people laughing along with you are more serious than you. It can be hard to tell the difference, and hard to actually be clever and funny without just being a jerk.

The name P'Ros'Titute is an example of one or the other ; either someone who is just a jerk, or worse they are actually sexist as hell while you are just joking. In which case your joking around just feeds them, and then women like myself walk in to the middle of it and it makes you all look stupid and hateful.
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Based on her picture, I thought the starfleet "vulcan" girl should have been called V'apid... short for "trips over nothing firing wildly due to being disproportionately top-heavy and vapid".

I do think some of the names for our new Romulan "mascot" are taking it a bit far, and fail on so many levels, but I'll stick with my initial reaction to So'Hot as being funny, clever and a name I expect to see in game come May.

Now... if only we could get a Klingon one...
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    We need to put So'hot in a wallpaper with T'TRIBBLE.

Ah..!

This is called 'sense of humor' and 'having fun', you know, like in a video game and its forum?
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is called 'sense of humor' and 'having fun', you know, like in a video game and its forum?

So you can't have fun without being rude and misogynist.

I see...

*Sigmund Freud voice*

Tell me about your mother.
  • knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    LOL. So'Hot? Really? Maybe with the special costume option to go "commando" so some morons might get the chance to get rid of those black standard panties flashing for 3 microseconds during beam down?

Is that the intellectual level a game that started as something that somehow had to do with star trek was downgraded to? Maybe that would finally be the chance to just save the money on the ST License and rename that game to "Adolscence Online" and stop pretending it had to do something with brains. *shakes head*
    We want to keep the foundry.
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    *Shakes head* Why bother replying to these... I have no requirement to justify myself here of why it's funny for some and supposedly "offensive" for others, just a matter I will leave to personal feelings and opinions...

As far as gameplay, I don't care if people like to roll girls with the boob slider all the way up... Personally, I have male and female characters of 'average proportion' actually dressed in cannon uniforms.... beyond that, it falls under IDIC.

If this is not a fun post, go pest on other ones...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    P'Ros'Titute should not have made the front page.

That name was striken from the OP. I admit that I had misread/pronounced the name when it was posted, and so was oblivious to to design and/or intent to be offensive.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013

While I would not be bothered about that myself, I can understand if some people would be.

On the other hand, mysogeny or whatever it is called is a mental disorder , a hate for females.

Being a horny idiot and shouting 'boobies' is really not something that is "hate of females".

Yes, it is stupid and immature, but not hateful.

'
    And there is a difference between being politically incorrect and being a douche. The idea of PC is stupid and amounts to censorship. ' That is true. Though some douches can be funny, think of Roger the Alien.

redshirtthefirst, May I use your signature picture please?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • drepanondrepanon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Alex Rousseau

:)
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But how would you feel if both in daily life and in your hobby and leisure the majority of the opposite sex talked about you almost solely in terms of your body parts?
    You mean like my wallet?

I would think you'd be open to the concept that just because you don't find it offensive, someone else might.

Men may consider women to be nothing more than a sex object, but women see men as nothing more than a sperm donor and bank account.

Turns out everyone sees everyone else as a means to an end.

Rather than be sensitive about it, just move along, before you find out you're as bigoted as the misogynists you complain about.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • drepanondrepanon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    T'ania R'aymonde

:rolleyes: