test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

quick question for Devs on DPS

eisaakazeisaakaz Member Posts: 112 Arc User
(I am hoping this just proves a point)

This question is really about PVE. When the development team sits down to create new content or add new bad guys, what is the average base DPS per player do you base your defense off of?

As an example: Take a Borg Tac Cube, when you create balance in the game what DPS are you assigning from each player to take it down?

What my question/point is... we go around endlessly about DPS on these forums and it seems a majority of players seem very focused on DPS. But if a Borg Tactical Cube is designed to be killed with 4K DPS on average from each player.... it would seem to be a fairly silly conversation after that, if that is the case.

Thank you

Eisaak
Post edited by eisaakaz on

Comments

• ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    eisaakaz wrote: »
    (I am hoping this just proves a point)

This question is really about PVE. When the development team sits down to create new content or add new bad guys, what is the average base DPS per player do you base your defense off of?

As an example: Take a Borg Tac Cube, when you create balance in the game what DPS are you assigning from each player to take it down?

What my question/point is... we go around endlessly about DPS on these forums and it seems a majority of players seem very focused on DPS. But if a Borg Tactical Cube is designed to be killed with 4K DPS on average from each player.... it would seem to be a fairly silly conversation after that, if that is the case.

Thank you

Eisaak

I think they based it to 1k dps, lol (tho not exactly joking here)

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    eisaakaz wrote: »

Using STFs is probably not a good way to get a handle on what you're asking. The current STF format was arrived at after many tweaks. The content was chaotic, and not very well defined for a couple of years. And the elements of that content have been tweaked and revamped multiple times. The first time I did and STF, for instance, modulation didn't exist. And it wasn't split into smaller chunks of ground and space. It just was one huge mission that took a long time and involved tons of NPC enemies in a glommy mess.

Those tactical cubes have undergone multiple tweaks and revisions.

So I don't know. I mean I don't think they have a DPS figure they're "shooting" for (pun intended). This content has been under fire (pun also intended) many times from players from players and developers.

The way they are now is really just a result of this game finally trying to shoe horn end-game content into a grind and Cryptic moving it past what Gozer was trying to do with it for so long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Using STFs is probably not a good way to get a handle on what you're asking. The current STF format was arrived at after many tweaks. The content was chaotic, and not very well defined for a couple of years. And the elements of that content have been tweaked and revamped multiple times. The first time I did and STF, for instance, modulation didn't exist. And it wasn't split into smaller chunks of ground and space. It just was one huge mission that took a long time and involved tons of NPC enemies in a glommy mess.

Those tactical cubes have undergone multiple tweaks and revisions.

So I don't know. I mean I don't think they have a DPS figure they're "shooting" for (pun intended). This content has been under fire (pun also intended) many times from players from players and developers.

The way they are now is really just a result of this game finally trying to shoe horn end-game content into a grind and Cryptic moving it past what Gozer was trying to do with it for so long.

I agree. I think that they pretty much ignore damage all together and just say "The tac cube has this many hit points and Donnatra has that many so let's give the unimatrix this other value that's close. Then we'll give it these different powers 'cause they sound cool."

Then they drop it on test and see what's broken.
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Then they release it to holodeck and forget that they created such a thing.

there, I fixed your typo

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2