test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Technician DOFF Question

freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
edited March 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Will the Technician DOFF reduce BOFF power cooldowns past their maximum possible cooldown value?

i.e. 3 Technician DOFF, 2 Conn Officer DOFF

When using Tactical Team, the maximum cooldown is already achieved at 15s, now if I proc the Technician DOFF, will the cooldown of Tactical Team be reduced even further?

Another scenario:

3 Technician DOFF, 2 any other DOFF

While running two versions of Torpedo High Yield: I use THY, putting my second version on a 15s cooldown. Then I use Emergency Power to Batteries to proc the technician DOFF. Will the second version of THY be refreshed past the maximum cooldown of 15s?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No ability removes the shared subsystem cooldown - luckily.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    No ability removes the shared subsystem cooldown - luckily.

Heh, that's a luckily and a meh. There's more luckily than meh though.

Also, to the OP... with regard to the double THY - the THY buff lasts 30 seconds. You can THY#1, wait 15s, THY#2, and if you wait near the 15s (have to be careful) - you can fire off your torps...where you'll get the THY, the second THY, and be in position to do a third THY. Boom, boom, boom!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Heh, that's a luckily and a meh. There's more luckily than meh though.

Also, to the OP... with regard to the double THY - the THY buff lasts 30 seconds. You can THY#1, wait 15s, THY#2, and if you wait near the 15s (have to be careful) - you can fire off your torps...where you'll get the THY, the second THY, and be in position to do a third THY. Boom, boom, boom!

Yes, I do know that.

What I want to know is:

I use THY version 1, 30s cooldown

THY version 2 is now on a 15s cooldown

If I now proc my Technician DOFF, I know that THY version 1 will reduce in cooldown, but will THY version 2 reduce in cooldown past its' shared 15s cooldown?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes, I do know that.

What I want to know is:

I use THY version 1, 30s cooldown

THY version 2 is now on a 15s cooldown

If I now proc my Technician DOFF, I know that THY version 1 will reduce in cooldown, but will THY version 2 reduce in cooldown past its' shared 15s cooldown?

Nope, as Dalnar said... the triggered CDs are not reduced only the recharge CDs.
  • Options
    renimaltrenimalt Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No.

In general, it's easier to think of each ability activating three separate cooldowns: one for the "system" the ability operates on (if applicable), one shared cooldown across all copies of that ability, and one individual cooldown for that particular copy. (e.g. 15s between different EPtX abilities, 30s between different copies of EPtS, and 45s for that single copy of EPtS) The first two cannot be reduced by any means; the third one is what Technician speeds up. (Also, the first two are NOT slowed by effects like SNB; the third one is.) The actual cooldown of an ability, at any moment, is the lowest of the three cooldown timers listed above.

In your example, when you activate THY1, THY2 is now affected by the 15s shared-ability/system cooldown; this cooldown is not reduced by Technician doffs or any other source.
    Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    renimalt wrote: »
    No.

In general, it's easier to think of each ability activating three separate cooldowns: one for the "system" the ability operates on (if applicable), one shared cooldown across all copies of that ability, and one individual cooldown for that particular copy. (e.g. 15s between different EPtX abilities, 30s between different copies of EPtS, and 45s for that single copy of EPtS) The first two cannot be reduced by any means; the third one is what Technician speeds up. (Also, the first two are NOT slowed by effects like SNB; the third one is.) The actual cooldown of an ability, at any moment, is the lowest of the three cooldown timers listed above.

In your example, when you activate THY1, THY2 is now affected by the 15s shared-ability/system cooldown; this cooldown is not reduced by Technician doffs or any other source.

I already understand how ability recharge timers work but was curious as to how the Technician DOFF affects the mechanic.

Thanks for the help everybody.
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The easy way to know in game is to check the UI. If the cd animation is a lowering horizontal line that's as far as you go.
    voxlagindvoxlagind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Each bridge officer ability has two different cooldowns. One is the standard cool down, as listed by the tooltip. The other is the a global cooldown (GCD) which is the lowest amount of time an ability can be used in succession.

You see the GCD whenever you have two copies of an ability, and use one of them. The other is immediately put on a lower cooldown, which is the GCD.

Technicians cannot reduce an ability below the GCD counter for a skill.