test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omega Weapon Amplifier Question?

edwarlordedwarlord Member Posts: 120 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Federation Discussion

Set 2: Omega Weapon Amplifier
On hit with any energy weapon, 2.5% chance: to self: Applies Omega Weapon Amplifier:

+10 Current Weapon Power
+500 Current Weapon Power Resistance Rating for 3 sec
+500 Maximum Weapon Power Resistance Rating for 3 sec
Note: The above was taken from STOwiki's Omega Adapted Borg Technology Set description. Yes I know the site is out-of-date with alot of the information but maybe this bit isn't.

1. Does this mean that 2.5% chance that current weapon power will be permanently boosted (until death ofcoarse or you for some reason remove a set piece) since there is no stating how long it lasts?

2. What does weapon power resistance rating mean? Weapon drain from shooting enery weapons aswell as from power draining abilities?
Post edited by edwarlord on

Comments

• seekerkorhilseekerkorhil Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2013
    1. It lasts 3 seconds.

2. It makes your weapons drain considerably less. Probably only 1 or 2 points each depending on weapon type.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The modifier requires both pieces of the set to be loaded on your ship. So, no it is not permanent.
  • edwarlordedwarlord Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks you two, very much appreciated :)

Oh and on the subject of weapon drain from shooting. If you have 140 in weapon subsystem the extra 15 (since the cap is 125) will be a buffer towards weapon drain? So if you were to shoot, the 15 would be used first before taking away from the 125 or is this not true?
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    edwarlord wrote: »
    Oh and on the subject of weapon drain from shooting. If you have 140 in weapon subsystem the extra 15 (since the cap is 125) will be a buffer towards weapon drain? So if you were to shoot, the 15 would be used first before taking away from the 125 or is this not true?

Weapon power over 125 does help toward fighting drain from firing weapons, though it doesn't seem to help as much as it actually should.
  • edwarlordedwarlord Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank you. And yup I notice that too, lol.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    Weapon power over 125 does help toward fighting drain from firing weapons, though it doesn't seem to help as much as it actually should.

Overclocking probably has a limit.

Ex. My Odyssey tac cruiser hits 125+ power when I pump all power to weapons. I know my power level is 131 base due to skills and the ship/equipment. I hit Chevron Sep, and I hit 141. Then I use EPtW2 (~+30 power), which brings it up to 171. I use a 7/1 setup on my weapons, but when I do a full 7 beam broadside (should be -70 power) I should be sitting at 101 power. HOWEVER after a full 7 beam broadside leaves me at 85-90 power. That means that I was sitting at 160, even though I calculated out I was at least 170.

So it's probable that you CAN overclock, but there is a limit to how high you can go. Which is unfortunate, but that's how it goes.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So it's probable that you CAN overclock, but there is a limit to how high you can go. Which is unfortunate, but that's how it goes.

And with cryptic, there's no way of knowing whether this is a bug or a feature. :rolleyes:
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Overclocking probably has a limit.

Ex. My Odyssey tac cruiser hits 125+ power when I pump all power to weapons. I know my power level is 131 base due to skills and the ship/equipment. I hit Chevron Sep, and I hit 141. Then I use EPtW2 (~+30 power), which brings it up to 171. I use a 7/1 setup on my weapons, but when I do a full 7 beam broadside (should be -70 power) I should be sitting at 101 power. HOWEVER after a full 7 beam broadside leaves me at 85-90 power. That means that I was sitting at 160, even though I calculated out I was at least 170.

What you're seeing is the first beam array that fired firing a second time while the last beam array that fired is still active.

Best way to test it is to use fire all beams when in a perfect broadside firing position.
  • sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What you're seeing is the first beam array that fired firing a second time while the last beam array that fired is still active.

Best way to test it is to use fire all beams when in a perfect broadside firing position.

It seems that he already did the best way to test it. However, since the first beam fires at max weapon power; he should only be seeing a -60 drain which would leave his Weapon Power at 111. He has stated his Weapon Power goes down to 85-90. This actually coincides with I have seen with my own 7/1 Beam Boat Cruiser.

When overcapping my Weapon Power to 155 with 7 beams, it should drop down to 95... but I have seen it drop down to 75. There was an additional -20 drain to Weapon Power; and no I was not using any special beam attacks. That setup was chaining Attack Pattern Beta I and II.

It could be something with the way beams fire, a glitch with Weapon Power drain and Beam Weapons, possible dimishing returns with overcapping Weapons Power, or a flat limit to overcapping Weapons Power.

In any event, when calculating the power drain from beams, what I see ingame and what is on paper is different... until I factor in an additional -20 drain; then the numbers match.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013

It was a full 7 beam broadside. I overclocked my weapons to what I calculated to just over 170. And yet, my beam broadside with all 7 beams (and yes, all 7 beams DO drain, read the tool-tips on the weapons) which should leave me at over 100 weapons power instead brings me down to 85-90.

Soooo... the best I can figure is that the highest you can bring it is 160.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)