test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Movies

cainnech1cainnech1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Ten Forward
Hi All

I have been a low Key fan of star trek since I was very young, love all the movies that have come with it as well as the different series.

The one thing that has always got me is that they follow only one crew in the movies, why not some of the others from different factions, I would love to see what they could come up with for a Klingon movie etc.

Tell me your thoughts on this.
Mine is a World to conquer
Post edited by cainnech1 on

Comments

• captnurntumbercaptnurntumber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cainnech1 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have been a low Key fan of star trek since I was very young, love all the movies that have come with it as well as the different series.

The one thing that has always got me is that they follow only one crew in the movies, why not some of the others from different factions, I would love to see what they could come up with for a Klingon movie etc.

They use the crew because the public at large is familiar with them. Even people that don't watch any Star Trek know who Kirk and Picard and Spock are.

Could they make a movie about a new crew? sure.

Could they make a movie about other factions? I doubt it. Number one reason is other than Klingons people who aren't big fans of the shows won't know much if anything about Romulans, Cardassians, etc.

...and a movie about klingons is only going to interest hardcore fans. It would have to be so incredibly well written to attract any other audience it would be a cold day in the hot place before that happens.

So, nope. There hasn't even been a Trek show on TV for some time. The chances of a "Klingon" Movie are about the same chances of a movie about a Tribble crew.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If they did prime Trek movies as high-quality animated affairs, straight to DVD with original cast voices, they could easily do some 'short story' things with Klingons, Cardassians et al, as well as continuing the adventures of TNG, DS9, VOY crews :( anything, really.

We could see backstories, some untold Martok adventure on the Rotarran way back when, or Garak doing some... gardening on Romulus. I wish :P
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    If they did prime Trek movies as high-quality animated affairs, straight to DVD with original cast voices, they could easily do some 'short story' things with Klingons, Cardassians et al, as well as continuing the adventures of TNG, DS9, VOY crews :( anything, really.

We could see backstories, some untold Martok adventure on the Rotarran way back when, or Garak doing some... gardening on Romulus. I wish :P

I could almost see that, but the OP was talking about feature films, I think.

The DVd thing...well, it really depends on how much they think they can make from it. Trek is a business, and if they aren't going to sell enough of the DVDs they aren't going to spend money on voice actors, animation, writers, etc.

I don't think that I personally would enjoy an animated Trek show, and I've been a fan for 40 years. I wouldnt buy it unless it were really really cheap or really really really good. I don't think it'd be able to be that good. At least for me. YMMV
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If Star Trek could get a strong animated series with a substantial following, they could always take a Klingon/Alien Character and do a one off episode or short movie about him/her provided they were popular enough. DS9 had several episodes about the Ferengi characters.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cainnech1 wrote: »
    I would love to see what they could come up with for a Klingon movie etc.

That format would work best for TV movies. In fact, this is exactly what they should have done when Voyager was the only Trek on, and post Voyager (instead of Enterprise). Would have gotten interest reinvigorated, and added characters to explore the aftermath of the Dominion War.

Now?

Really think there would need to be another successful series on - and for a while - before attempting something like this.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It would have to be mixed sort of like TNG Redemtion.It would be popular in books or voice cd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • cainnech1cainnech1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My main point was that with the 2 new movies that have/are coming out it would be good it get prospective from other factions to get more of the sense of the universes. I would like to see a movie were the feds are seen in a different light, not necessarily the good or bad, but both.

As for weather they are animated or not, or straight to DVD, I don't mind, even something like the clone wars series would be just as good.
    Mine is a World to conquer
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »

This could be good.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
    edited February 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    That format would work best for TV movies. In fact, this is exactly what they should have done when Voyager was the only Trek on, and post Voyager (instead of Enterprise). Would have gotten interest reinvigorated, and added characters to explore the aftermath of the Dominion War.

Now?

Really think there would need to be another successful series on - and for a while - before attempting something like this.

I agree. I don't think they would have had to show the aftermath of the dominion war, but there hasn't been a Trek show in sometime and ENT didn't even make the "expected" 7 seasons.

In order to make anything about Klingons, or Martok or even Garak or Ferengi they'd have to generate more interest in the public for Trek, not just the fans. Sure die hard fans would watch/buy it, but that might not be enough to make it worth making. If all they needed were diehard fans to generate income they could just create the "Official blah blah blah Klingon Qapla Medal" and wath the diehards beat down the door to get one.

But right now, who even knows who Martok or Garak or any Ferengi are except for big fans of the shows? To everyone else they're "Some alien guys on some show about space".
  • seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What about rather than a movie they use a tv how to follow one crew from the Klingons or romulans , could make for interesting viewing to follow a romulans crew with all the paying sabotage and such, complete opposite view on the trek universe as oppose to the federation view on things.