test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you fill out the bio on your characters?

captnurntumbercaptnurntumber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Ten Forward
When you create a character do you fill the bio? I do, after I've played the charcter for awhile.

Sometimes I'll just click on random characters in space to see if they have an interesting bio. I was just wondering if anyone else does that.
Post edited by captnurntumber on

Comments

• Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I do, actually. I've noticed, though, that very few other people seem to do so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tatyanasergeitatyanasergei Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I do! I've got a full bio for all my characters, and even make captain's log entries in the in-game log system daily for at least one of them.

I used to love reading the bios of other players, but the game's been borked about displaying them for awhile now. Most times they refuse to load.
    Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
    Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester
    "The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I usually do; though I don't always manage to come up with anything particularly interesting. Sometimes I start out with the intention of building on the bio as my character's career progresses; but I usually forget. :o
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    On my main character (T'Phira), I have a full bio written and in my ingame biography. I was inspired after listening to a RP session at Quark's on DS9 and wrote it up shortly afterwards.

Since then, the backgrounds of my alt characters are unwritten (as of today) but constructed in relation to my main (former junior officer, under orders to cooperate with, grudging rivalry, etc.).
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    davidhadar460davidhadar460 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just put in the timeline/progression of my officers using the 2409 date as a guide ex.

251208.10 = August 10, 2512(2012 for us)

After the date I'll put "-promoted to Lieutenant Commander" or "assigned to Alpha Bridge Shift as Operation Officers" or whatever else I did for that officer that day:D
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Classfied. :cool:
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a full Bio on everyone of my characters except one who was just made for a funny name.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes. :)

Why not? It's another part of the game meant to enhance the experience, I think.
  • Options
    altai8008altai8008 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just put **CLASSIFIED**

and nobodys allowed to copy me or i'm telling..

EDIT: Though i see one of you already has. Now i'm totally telling..
  • Options
    clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not on all of my alts yet, but my main? Yes. I think I will get round to doing it for all of them eventually, but I have not been inspired of late.

I'm a writer anyway, so it's almost OCD on my part to think of a story for any character in any game I play, but it also helps to identify with them. Sometimes when I don't, I feel less "invested" in the character, so I don't care about progression and such as much; lessens the joy of play for me.

I don't do it for anyone else but me, but it does up the fun-factor!
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When I first started playing, I wrote rudimentary bios for my Captain and his first crop of BOffs. I got progressively lazier as I bought and filled more BOff slots.

I do however plan to revisit the bios at some stage, mostly rewriting to fit the STO canon.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    On my captain, yes. Keep meaning to do so for my BOffs, but the inertia is strong, because even fewer people are ever going to see them. I do have stories for them, just not in-game.

That said, I did see a very funny bio on someone's Chief Medical Officer the other day, while visiting New Rom. (An alien "crazy tribble lady" who's converted one of the cargo bays into a "living ball pit.")
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    no but i have the full back story of my toon and Boffs written down in a word file including my main ship the galaxy retrofit USS Victoria-A. even figured out a head cannon way for the high registry number to work on such an old ship (the first USS Victoria was a chyenne now retconned to the ambassador)
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    heh... on one of my avatars his bio reads "Access Denied". :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have for two of my captains. One is loosely based off a D&D character I used to play.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I filled out a very extensive one for my KDF Joined Trill, as well as a brief blurb for my bridge officers.

My FED one simply reads: "Favourite book: Horta Hears a Q, of course."

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    silverjdgmntdrgnsilverjdgmntdrgn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You know, I probably should since I have stories involving my main captain and crew. Might be a good idea to put something in there. Though I do wonder if people actually do check out that info before/during/after an STF/Fleet Action/what have you. I sometimes do, but unfortunately I don't do those as often as I would like...
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Boffs are just meat shields so no for them

Captains get a one line quote displaying their personality. A now deleted Joined Trill had, "I haven't been female in a while. Have these uniforms always had boob socks?"
    <3
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    :)
    I filled out a very extensive one for my KDF Joined Trill, as well as a brief blurb for my bridge officers.

My FED one simply reads: "Favourite book: Horta Hears a Q, of course."

At least something will live on past me in these forums.
    <3
  • Options
    ussfuryussfury Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have one and most of my BOs, but I've been lax lately and need to add bios to my newest additions.
  • Options
    waaagh951waaagh951 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    all my characters and nearly all my boffs got. have not given my kdf boffs yet. they are going to be changed to alien either way. so until i got that done they have to wait.
  • Options
    amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a bio for my former and current main captains, in time this will expand to all my toons.

My BOffs backstories develop through the LC's, as I feel a bio for them is a bit OTT.
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All my captains have full bios, and all my BOffs have at least a paragraph.

I'm a writer, and I use RPGs as a tool for developing characters for my stories.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I will if I take a notion to but not as of late due to the fact half the time they wont load when I try to read other peoples.:(
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Always and more... Click Here I dare you!
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All my characters have a story, and most have written bios. I don't usually with the BOffs, but if I roll certain ones into characters, they get one. No, I don't RP. Not going to either.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    torbktorbk Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Of my six captains, five have full bios for themselves and their crew, the last captain has a bio, but his crew is without complete bios, only short notes.
    The user formerly known as Khern!
    I hate the fact Perfect World force-joined STO and PW accounts...
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I always write a bio for my characters (aka toons). I'm also trying to write bios for the bridge officers I actually care about.

In fact, one of my toons has another one of my toons as a bridge officer - so I just copy/paste the bio there, and I'm done. :D
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    iskandusiskandus Member Posts: 1,062 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have for my main and only character and some of the BOFF. Though I plan to write something about every single BOFF as well. Sometimes I do click on other people to see if they have a bio written but very few do. The game is far more interesting when your character has a back story - doesn't have to be a legendary one, he/she could be just an average person who happened to be a Captain. Mine is a male Betazoid born & raised on Earth whose parents left their homeworld to pursue careers on Broadway in NYC. In many ways, he is very human because Earth is where he grew up except his unique biology.

Funny enough, having a pure race character in game (as opposed to so many composite "Alien" out there) seemed to gain a tremendous amount of support from the character's homeworld. Not sure about others but whenever some assignments have to do with Betazed or Betazoid Government, the rewards most often end up being Purple / Very Rare items like DOFF and/or BOFF. Take example of the Cultural Exchange assignments, never got anything except white / common doff from all other planets like Vulcan, Trill, Bolian and etc. Did it once with Betazed, and even with merely a "Success", not even "Critical Success", was awarded a Purple / Very Rare Biochemist DOFF. The first BOFF who applied to join my crew through assignments was also on the "request" of the Betazoid Government, suffice to say, this guy is now my chief Science officer and has been ever since. That was the only time however, they rarely contact me. Subsequently, I got numerous requests from all kinds of Fed Governments, like the truck load of Human applicants - never got anyone interesting, pretty much stop accepting their requests as a waste of my time / assignment slot.
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I like creating silly bio's for my toons.

The rather buxom looking Vulcan in my signature has this in her bio: "Romulan mother, Vulcan father. Raised in an Andorian family with a Bajoran nanny. Poor girl is a bit confused in the head really." :D

I also have a fat Gorn: "Likes biting things, tribbles, baby Mugatos, Skodas. Bloody anything really!"

An Orion Slave Girl: "Can't afford me dear."

An Alien: "The last idiot you want flying yer shippy!"

:D
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D