test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How would Gene feel about the commercialization of Star Trek?

13»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    As long as the check cleared, I'm pretty sure Gene would be A-ok with it.

Remember - this is the guy who wrote lyrics to the TOS theme. Why? So he could get a cut of the music composers royalty check. To his credit, he didn't use the lyrics - but still.

I'm not judging, by the way - he had a great idea and he was entitled to make money off of it. But don't think just because he came up with a successful television/movie franchise that he was an altruistic hippie.

Gene liked the benjamins.
    YUP!

I'm sure he would have liked the Na'kuhl too... Season 1 of TOS was the most bizarre season of Star Trek in the History of Star Trek. Why? Because of Roddenberry.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lukeminherexxlukeminherexx Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Whatever Gene would think is irrelevant, I suppose. I do not mean that the question by the OP should not have been asked, it is a good question, and prompted good discussion, so please do not think by irrelevant, I mean the question itself was.

Gene put a product out there on the market, and his liking what it has become, or not liking it, has no bearings on where it will go. It is a chance you take, when you sell your idea. Since I was a child I have drawn my own "comics", created my own characters, and throughout my life I have been asked why I never got into the business.
    Even were I good enough, which some believe I am, I would not wish to sell my "art" (yes, in quotations, lol, art is in the eye of the beholder, much like beauty). It will be given to my children, who enjoy reading it. I find nothing better than to hear "Dad, where is the comic you were doing, I want to catch up."

It is funny, though, that on the other hand, I would not hesitate to sell a short story, or a novel for that matter, and when this "writer's block passes"..or maybe just laziness, I will continue writing one I plan on attempting to publish. Once the item is sold, depending on the rights and such, it may no longer be mine. However, I personally take consolation, and I am sure many writers/artists do so as well, in that it is simply fun putting something out there, and waiting to see what it becomes.

From reading some things about Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry, he was not happy with some of the plots, and some of the designs. However, he always took pride in knowing that he was the one to come up with the characters, and the world they reside in.

Now say what you will about Cryptic, and I know there are always those that will complain no matter what, but they have put together an awesome amount of information that truly sticks to the Star Trek theme, while reaching to gamers as well. I know it isn't a popular thing to say, about any online game anymore it seems, but I am very pleased with STO, despite the little bugs, that yes hit me too, and some of the marketing gimmicks. They are a company, that provide a product, that you do not have to spend one dime on if you so choose not to. How would Gene feel about it? I enjoy it, therefor, it really doesn't matter to me.
    May he rest in peace. This is not a post against him, or even meant negative about him. He was a creative person, and did a very good job with the product he created. He was a visionary, especially for the time he created it in. He was also apparently something of a business man, and I cannot fault him for that either. :)
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. -Einstein

• boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Beyond the rim of the star light
    My love is wand'ring in star flight
    I know, he'll find in star-clustered reaches
    Love, strange love a star-woman teaches
    I know his journey ends never
    His Star Trek will go on forever
    so tell him while he wanders his starry sea;
    remember, remember me

No, seriously. I wish I were making that up.

Holy TRIBBLE. Those are the actual lyrics? Dear God those are awful. If I were the composer of the theme and Gene tried to lay that over my music, I'd have had to kill him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captnurntumbercaptnurntumber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Holy TRIBBLE. Those are the actual lyrics? Dear God those are awful. If I were the composer of the theme and Gene tried to lay that over my music, I'd have had to kill him.

But...but...if Gene wrote them, that means they're gospel! They can't be bad because Gene's vision is always right even when it isn't!

(At least thats what some fans will tell you)
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2013

He was pretty furious. Didn't kill anyone, but he did take his toys and go home. Literally - he destroyed several songs he was working on for the show and refused to ever work with anyone involved.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't think Gene would what has happened to his creation.I can olny guess he might of fired Bermon and Braga for ever bringing TNG out so soon on the big screen.I know he would not approve of Enterprise and JJs Star Trek.

Bermon and Brag for fired anyway not to long after Enterprise was cancalled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    He was Roddenberry not Gandhi, if he had a beef with STO at all, it would be because he wasn't raking in the profits himself.
    I have to comment that the "STO Is All About Money" mantra that this topic is a thin veil for is getting really boring and repetitive.
    Welcome to the real world where people expect to get paid for the work they do.
    Cryptic, PWE and the world in general owe you nothing so give it a rest.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • captnurntumbercaptnurntumber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    I don't think Gene would what has happened to his creation.I can olny guess he might of fired Bermon and Braga for ever bringing TNG out so soon on the big screen.I know he would not approve of Enterprise and JJs Star Trek.

In reality you don't know what Gene would or would not approve of.

See any posts I've made in the last few days about "Gene can do wrong" stuff.

Its all fine if you may not like the direction TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT took, but the bottom line is they were successful enough to make a profit. I personally think Garfield is a pile of commercialized TRIBBLE, but I won't deny that Larson is successful doing it.

Trek was a great idea for him and he made a lot of cash with it, and got to do something he enjoyed. Thats great...but a lot of his ideas were pure TRIBBLE, and TNG improved once he wasn't calling the shots.

Stop making gene out to be some great saint. He was most likely no better or worse than I am as a person and not everything he put his hand to was manna from heaven.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Something that occurred to me while reading this thread ... Gene Roddenberry has a lot in common with the character of Zefram Cochrane. Both were driven by profit and self-gratification, but over the years they were both elevated to near-sainthood because of what they created.

Could Cochrane has been indirectly inspired by Roddenberry? Food for thought.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    age03 wrote: »

Actually.... Majel Roddenberry did the voice of the computer in JJ-trek. :p

Majel is unique in Star Trek. She did some sort of acting in all six series, and several movies too! She was 'Number One', Nurse Chapel(TOS), 13 TAS characters including Chapel and M'Ress, Lwaxana Troi(TNG and DS9). She regularly did the voice for the ship's computer in TOS, TNG, and VOY, and sometimes in TAS, DS9, and ENT. She did computer voices for some of the movies too, including JJ-Trek.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg