test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upcoming Changes? Warp Cores and Combat...

ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Klingon Discussion
I thought that this topic might deserve its own thread.

In a recent interview regarding upcoming changes to STO -- presumably for Season 8 (although they are not calling it that anymore I think), Mr. Stahl stated the following:
[GB] Space combat is definitely one of the strongest game features, any plans for further improvement?

[DSTAHL] With the constant flow of new ships coming out of the shipyards, our next major update to ships will be to incorporate warp core design into how a ship performs in combat and what types of power it can bring to a fight.

This fascinates me...because in a way, it mirrors some previous, older game concepts that can be found in Star Fleet Battles (pen and paper) and Starfleet Command (computer game), where the warp core of the vessel determines how much power there was to allocate to various weapons and systems...

In thinking about this, I really don't see how they can go to a power allocation type of scheme without seriously redesigning space combat...that is, if they plan on doing it right. Otherwise, you will end up with two classes of vessels -- ones with weapons and systems driven by warp core energy, and ones which are not. The warp-core energy vessels will presumably be superior in many different ways to non warp-core vessels.

And then there is the whole concept of sub-system targeting...if you successfully target engines, will that shut down EVERY system (weapons, shields, etc.) being powered by a warp core on an "enhanced" vessel?

Bottom line - this sounds to me that the future of space combat will potentially radically change. Introducing something of this magnitude -- where you are tinkering with the basic power levels of ships in the game, could be a major game changer.

In any case, just some thoughts...and at this point pure speculation, since we know absolutely nothing beyond this small snippet from a recent interview.
Post edited by ztempest on

Comments

• Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    I thought that this topic might deserve its own thread.

In a recent interview regarding upcoming changes to STO -- presumably for Season 8 (although they are not calling it that anymore I think), Mr. Stahl stated the following:

This fascinates me...because in a way, it mirrors some previous, older game concepts that can be found in Star Fleet Battles (pen and paper) and Starfleet Command (computer game), where the warp core of the vessel determines how much power there was to allocate to various weapons and systems...

In thinking about this, I really don't see how they can go to a power allocation type of scheme without seriously redesigning space combat...that is, if they plan on doing it right. Otherwise, you will end up with two classes of vessels -- ones with weapons and systems driven by warp core energy, and ones which are not. The warp-core energy vessels will presumably be superior in many different ways to non warp-core vessels.

And then there is the whole concept of sub-system targeting...if you successfully target engines, will that shut down EVERY system (weapons, shields, etc.) being powered by a warp core on an "enhanced" vessel?

Bottom line - this sounds to me that the future of space combat will potentially radically change. Introducing something of this magnitude -- where you are tinkering with the basic power levels of ships in the game, could be a major game changer.

In any case, just some thoughts...and at this point pure speculation, since we know absolutely nothing beyond this small snippet from a recent interview.

My fear of the new addition: Jem bug with a warp core bonus set that boosts its defence and attack - or worse, the cores work on any ship but are lockbox/lobi grand prizes
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Aye, sounds like another resource sink/rep grind to me. Could it be another console slot and a new piece of gear ?

I think the mechanics of it are simply too complex for STO without a major rewrite of the game, and ANY comparison of STO to SFB or SFC is simply a joke.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Lordmalak1,

I absolutely agree -- which is why this quote caught my eye.

Power allocation in Star Fleet Command and Star Fleet Battles could be somewhat complex - the same concepts are not present in Star Trek Online in any reasonable fashion other than the power levels you can adjust between engines, aux, shields, and weapons...and those are flat percentages for every class of ship which handles power allocation in an abstract way.

Comparing the two systems is not realistic...

Yet...we have this quote, and the idea that somehow warp core energy levels will matter in the future.

No matter what they do...if they tinker with this idea, then I think space combat is going to change somewhat.

If this is some sort of lockbox console that does nothing more than add points to the four power systems...well...think of the outcry that was made over Plasmatic Leech...that would be a walk in the part compared to a console that did the same thing, except on a constant basis...
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I too am curious to know how they intend to include warp cores.

I've not really thought on it but I suspect that it would be another piece of ship equipment along with shields, engines and deflector since a warp core as a console makes no sense, it is integral to the ship after all.

This idea is flawed I admit since this would need a revision over all of the equipment so relevant bonuses and stats are re-distributed in a way it makes sense, no point having an uncommon deflector that gives +5 to aux power when the warp core should have such a bonus.

But if Cryptic had the patience I can see warp cores with the following stat bonuses:

+ warp core efficiency/potential
    + power (weapon/battery/aux/engines)
    + electro-plasma relays
    + driver coil
    + flow caps
    + power insulators

If this were to happen, deflectors would be more focused on the science stats like sensor range, stealth, particle generators etc. Engines would stick to impulse thrusters, sector space speed and turn rate. Shields would be largely unchanged.

I know I'm probably way off the mark here, but it's my 2 pennies anyway.
  • Options
    silverashes1silverashes1 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    burstorion wrote: »
    My fear of the new addition: Jem bug with a warp core bonus set that boosts its defence and attack - or worse, the cores work on any ship but are lockbox/lobi grand prizes

i share your fears man,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You know it will probably just boost the existing warp core stats and some of the sector space stats. Just be another impulse engine or deflector.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I suspect warp cores will be just a fourth piece of ship equipment (like deflectors, shields, engines) and will simply provide a flat boost to subsystem power levels.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    and it will be heavily pay-2-win for sure.

The disgusting thing of it all is that unless they are really revamping space combat (I doubt it, that's too much work for a monetizing-focused company that only is interested in short term profit) this new warp core system will merely make the game even more arcadish and dedicated to grinding.

The romulan rep. system is bad enough. I think the warp core will be a similar load of grinding and dil/lobi/cstore item TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i hope there just give extra power boosts to systems so one wil give +5 to weopons +10 aux a other will give +10 sheilds +5 eng. i cant see any problem by adding a new way to add more power.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    i hope there just give extra power boosts to systems so one wil give +5 to weopons +10 aux a other will give +10 sheilds +5 eng. i cant see any problem by adding a new way to add more power.

Likely something along these lines...with the base items being easily available, better items being available for significant Dil grind, better items being available from lockboxes, and the best items being available for Lobi.
  • Options
    wolfdog14wolfdog14 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    this has been mentioned before,someone did some work on this,i think its the same guy who did the dilithium mine game. it somewhere in the forums but it was a very good idea.
    i have tried to look for it but no luck yet