test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Photonic Tac, Really That Bad?

ussfuryussfury Member Posts: 142 Arc User
From what I've read on here, the reactions to the lobi Photonic Tac BO range from "meh" to "NERD RAGE!"

Is it really that bad? Is it particularly bad for ground, or space?

I'm interested. But actually a Photonic Engi or Sci would be more my speed as I'm rather full tac officer wise. Are there Photnic Engi or Sci BOffs in the game?

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think there was a photonic sci officer that used to be a refferal reward, not sure if you can still get him that way, might check the exchange.

I do have the photonic tac boff, and I will just say this. I can count on him being the first to die any time they are all in combat. He has similar armor and weapons to other boffs, but time after time, he's teh first to go down. Though to be fair, he has draw fire that I keep meaning to get rid of, so that might be part of the problem.

The other part is that he is near impossible to find when he dies, since he doesn't leave a body. You either have to locate him by the distance readout on the BOFF control panel on the side, or wait until its over and for one of your other BOFFs to find and res him. Also, he's bound, so he can't be trained by other captains.

So unless you like the costume, there are better ways to spend your money, in my opinion.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    There are Photonic Scis, but they're only available to people with the appropriate rank in the 'player recruitment' feature, which is no longer offered due to the game being F2P.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The photonic male science officer was originally only available through the refferal program, then he and the borg female engineering officer were available from the first years winter events prizes and were not bound to character until opened from their crates.., so you may still see some floating around on the exchange from some people who have hung onto them for all this time..
    but i do agree on the photonic maco tactical officer which is still available from the lobi store, mine carrys the same advanced fleet shields and armour as the rest of my standard away team, yet hes the first to go down amongst the team if i decide to take him out on a mission....
  • Options
    plas01plas01 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I earned the phot sci early on from the referral program, however if you can find one on the exchange it may be what your looking for. I also found the phot sci to be more resilient than the tac on ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Plasma, Vice Admiral, Starfleet
    -I.D.I.C- UFP Fleet Admiral, -I.D.I.C- Founder
    Veena, Lieutenant General, Klingon Defence Force
    -I.D.I.C- KDF Fleet General
  • Options
    kishodarkishodar Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can someone post a full body screenshot of the MACO Photonic BOFF?

Not having any luck using Google image search to find one.
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kishodar wrote: »
    Can someone post a full body screenshot of the MACO Photonic BOFF?

Not having any luck using Google image search to find one.

Can't post a screenshot at this time, but the Photonic Tac looks exactly like the holographic guards from one of the "The 2800" feature episodes.

If you haven't played that, it's basically a black version of the full MACO armor set. You can't customize the appearance. It looks pretty cool, though. I wish I could turn my MACO armor black >:(

Generally speaking though, Tac Boffs are in truth less useful than the others. They die quickly and don't have great team support abilities. Can't heal you or summon turrets, either, and since there's no class-based weapon restrictions you can put the heavy miniguns and assault weapons on any character.

Still cool-looking, though :)
  • Options
    buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I use this bridge officer all the time with no problems. Get rid of 'draw fire' for starters. A nice feature he has is an attack exocomp that spawns every minute. This makes him comparable to an engineer with a turret for increased DPS. It is better than the support drone, but not as good as a turret Mk III.