How does Cryptic define "immersion"?

tomin8rtomin8r Member Posts: 201 Arc User
Seriously, I am completely stumped.
Post edited by tomin8r on

Comments

• Options
    trellabortrellabor Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They must be referring to being immersed in a sea of bugs, or maybe being immersed in a virtual dystopian society...

That's what I feel 'immersed' in lately, I'd like to just zone out and feel like I'm really immersed in Star Trek itself but I'm constantly reminded I'm playing a game that should still be in Beta with the constant server lag, bugs still present from years past, new game mechanics that break other game mechanics, record down time, and a general un-polished feel that prevents me from really having much fun, except for a couple of things I still do that are so nominal I'm contemplating why I'm still here at all. Besides, Dev's seem more interested in chatting with ESD Zone about nonsense than working on any of the above.

Maybe I should just bust out the Star Trek Micro Machines....at least then the story line would make sense to me.
    ____
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The o3 - Killed you good
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Fair points, cheers.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It doesn't matter, you agreed to play their game so "immersion" is what you make of it.

The only MMO that I've experienced that was "immersive" was EVE Online because they didn't have loading screens when I flew the ship in space.

It's a game, not a simulation. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sir, that is quite a presumptuous attitude to bring to this conversation. I was simply asking for clarification about Cryptic's definition of immersion. If you choose to resort to name calling, please take it to another thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Scarlet, is your name in reference to Captain Star?

You do make a good point though, this is a game. However, I find it a bit strange to see the amount of non-faction ships hovering above ESD/Qo'noS.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Scarlet, is your name in reference to Captain Star?

Truth be told, I moved to STO when City of Heroes closed and my character there was "Scarlet Scorpion". In RP people called me "Scarlet" :) There was a Gerry Andersen (famed for the Thunderbirds) show called "Captain Scarlet", I think ...
    You do make a good point though, this is a game. However, I find it a bit strange to see the amount of non-faction ships hovering above ESD/Qo'noS.

Man, you ain't whistling Dixie! I was in the Khazan Cluster when a BIG Tholian ship zoned in behind my "little" Excelsior ... lo and behold the pilot was Human. Although I'm not a fan of that decision, it's not mine to make and Cryptic was wise to let the players have what they want in this regard because players are the customer ;)

But then again ... why not? Maybe the Captain "stole" the ship and converted it to be non-Tholian usable. You know, fight fire with ... Tetryon Beams :P
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    For some reason, it won't let me say touche with an accent.

Thanks for the little info tidbit.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some foundry missions are quite immersive. Oh, but you're probably one of those hooty snooty "I'm not touching foundry missions because Cryptic didn't make them!" types.

I'm not sure how that answer's the OP's question about how Cryptic defines immersion?
    The Foundty exists

The Foundry exists as a testbed for Neverwinter Online.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    tomin8r wrote: »
    However, I find it a bit strange to see the amount of non-faction ships hovering above ESD/Qo'noS.

If you found it to be sarcastic, that is your on prerogative, however, there is no need to resort to name calling because you assumed incorrectly.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The question came off as sarcastic, at least to me.

I didn't see it as sarcastic. He didn't call anyone hooty or snooty for example.
    Especially since we just got a new mission that feels like it puts you right in the middle of a Trek episode. Seemed pretty immersive to me. What more do people want?

The anniversary mission? It takes all of 10 minutes to complete? It's a cool mission. But I think people want more than just that. They probably want more involved stuff, like the Featured Episodes of years past. I mean, the entire "we want more content" discussion has, for two years now, basically been asking for more missions like the FEs.
    Perhaps... And yet many have enjoyed making and playing foundry missions in Star Trek Online, and that validates it in my opinion.

It's a fun tool. It helps make the game more enjoyable. But it doesn't validate the lack of work this game's development team has put in on expanding the game and its story. Which gets into the crux of the discussion about content and immersion that always crops up.

The foundry's great. But it's not the answer to the lack of story development in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sarcasting is not a real word.

Although, you are derailing my thread with all this sarcasm allegations. I suggest you either get back on the topic at hand, or politely find another thread.
  • Options
    buzzoutbuzzout Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This according to the STO dictionary.

im-mer-sion noun \i-ˈmər-zhən, -shən\ :See lock box.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well played ^