test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

LTS worth it?

zulnobzulnob Member Posts: 3 Arc User
So heres the background
yes I'm a Trekkie and just recently started playing (reason being that there is no Version playable on MAC). Now finally got a PC and the first and only game installed was STO..
My one week experience..(full time job + RL)
STO was meant as a little fun every now and then to kill some spare time..
between server time outs, servers not responding both earlier this week and then todays maintenance which now ended in a queue 3702 out of 10432 with the only number going up being the latter I am starting to have my doubts. Was originally planning on getting a LTS. Servers down = Action in Forums and I read from a lot of frustrated players which got me thinking.. its frustrating as a non LTS player who started his first week by spending $75 on Uniforms etc to have the basics I like to have as Trekkie in a Star Trek mmorpg.
If half of what little time I do or rather would have to play is spent looking at a real nice diversity of messages telling me i cant play when i want to.. I'm really thinking twice about getting a LTS (especially because the package really doesnt seem THAT great).
So allow me to ask the community and especially those that did spend the money on LTS.. is it still worth the investment?

Looking forward to reading your responses
Zulnob
Post edited by zulnob on

Comments

• Options
    cracobiggleycracobiggley Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yes its worth it, I did it just for all the extra slots, bank, inventory etc
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No, not this far into the game's lifetime. It was worth it when the game was new, it's been worth it for all but the most recent sale periods, but it's never been worth it at full price, and it isn't worth it now. The game is old enough that it'll take too long for your investment to "mature".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My honest opinion? For me, yes, although I wish it did give back a little more. Why yes?

My stipend is very handy. I like having lots of toons. I enjoy a large bank. Today, when the servers were full, I enjoyed jumping the queue straight to 46 out of 1600 people. The lifetime subscription bonuses like respecs are VERY valuable.

Still, it's a personal decision. Only you can make it. I'd suggest you consider a) how much you intend to play. b) whether you want the lifetime stuff (Borg captain is cool). c) how much you intend to spend in zen and see how long it would take the stipend to pay you back.

Like I said, these are my reasons and I won't advise you one way or the other.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2013
    It will take about 40 months to make your money back on the zen stipend... do you think you'll play that long? I know I will till it's shut down... it's up to you.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,875 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It would be worth it if you get your money back...meaning staying in STO for 2 years or so. You don't get priority queue btw so dont get your hopes high that wouldn't change. Server limit sucked since 3 years and still the same...by far this is no EVE...would be nice to get PRIORITY queue if DEVs ever thing things well :eek:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    zulnobzulnob Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So the queues, login problems etc are a feature that i will get to enjoy for the entire duration and not just a current issue that happened to occur during my first week?
    If you guys were to speculate.. would i get my 2-3 Years or is there an end in sight?
  • Options
    cracobiggleycracobiggley Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zulnob wrote: »
    So the queues, login problems etc are a feature that i will get to enjoy for the entire duration and not just a current issue that happened to occur during my first week?
    If you guys were to speculate.. would i get my 2-3 Years or is there an end in sight?

the login/queue issues were just a result of the super high traffic for the event starting yesterday and not the norm for the game.

If your ONLY reason for looking into a LTS is to jump to the front of the queue then its likely not worth it for you as in the year I've been playing there is RARELY ever a queue. I became a LTS member for all of the "free" unlocks you get. If you add up what those perks would cost on there own then its a good deal
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, it's worth it. But, get it on sale. A couple times a year, Cryptic tends to sell it for $200. Get it then. At $200, is when it takes 40 months to pay back with the stipend (rather than 60). More than that though, it gives you easily more than $200 worth of free stuff thanks to the instant vet rewards and LTS benefits:

Expanded bank and inventory space
    Extra ship, character and costume slots (both from basic Gold status and more from vet rewards)
    Multiple uniform options (Veteran, Jupiter Veteran, LTS comm badge)
    Access to the Captain's Yacht shuttle
    A Mugato pet
    Several respec tokens per character
    Playable Liberated Borg
    A FREE single unlock of a Defiant, Galaxy, Intrepid or B'Rel when a character his Lv. 50 (retroactive as well)
    The Chimera and Pegh'qu Heavy Destroyers (awesome)
    1,000 extra dil refinement every 2 days
    5% skill point boost to you and your team.

Fireworks, titles, Android bridge officers, oh my.

So there's easily $200 worth of stuff there. The only thing you have to decide is if there's $200 worth of it that you personally want, factoring in the stipend.

Oh, and jumping into the login queue ahead of a couple thousand other people when a new season or event launches is handy too.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People should realise you get extra inventory (character, bank), account bank, Boff, ship slots, a character slot by subscribing for a month. When you end it after a month, you keep it all. You also get 500 Zen for that month.

I was interested for the LTS when it was on sale (it will be on sale again, I am sure), but I am no longer. I like the game and I will spend money on it, but that depends on what will come out and what I like.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You don't get priority queue btw so dont get your hopes high that wouldn't change.

Yes you do, as long as you actually understand what the word priority means. I means you get to jump in front of all the Sliver people waiting to log in. It does not mean you get to kick people currently playing off the server to make room for you.

Lots of people were reporting this as working last night, so don't bother telling me it doesn't. Being put in line at 2,500 out of 9,000 means the priority login worked, you were placed in line in front of all those sliver accounts.

Also login queues happen maybe 3-4 times a year. Last night the queue lasted for about 4 or 5 hours. There was no queue when I logged in last night at 9:30pm. There was queues for a day or so during peak time when Season 7 released. The rest of the year priority login means pretty much nothing.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    fovrel wrote: »
    People should realise you get extra inventory (character, bank), account bank, Boff, ship slots, a character slot by subscribing for a month. When you end it after a month, you keep it all. You also get 500 Zen for that month.

This is very true, and I forgot to mention that. Yes, if you sub for a month certain things will remain permanent for all your current characters. However, you will no longer be able to claim them on any new characters. The nice thing about an LTS is that you pay once, and you get everything in perpetuity without ever thinking about it again. I just wouldn't pay $300 for it.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I posted this last year for folks asking a similar question. This is going from F2P to LTS what the perks would be... clearly the value to you is only what you use from this list. If you took advantage of all the benefits offered then of course it will certainly pay for itself. I know a lot of folks say the game wont be around but they have been saying that since the beginning. I think the game is doing better than it has ever done in terms of users and staffing or I wouldn't have bought a 2nd LTS last year for my partner.

If nothing else here is what you get and it's rough value... it pays for itself and then some as well as paying you back $5 per month in zen.

ZEN ITEM
    ++++++++
    600z Playable Federation Liberated Borg character (Only LTS can obtain)
    600z Playable Klingon Liberated Borg character (Only LTS can obtain)

Costume Pieces:

550z Special Veteran Jacket Option
    Special Veteran Uniform Option (Silver Jupiter Variant)
    Special Veteran Uniform Option (Gold Jupiter Variant)
    550z Klingon Shoulder Pads and Cape

Starships:
    2500z Chimera Heavy Destroyer
    2500z Pehgqu' Heavy Destroyer
    500z Captain's Yacht/Chariot
    2500z Free Ship at Starfleet Vice Admiral
    2500z Free Ship at KDF Lieutenant General

Assorted:
    300z Mugato Companion
    500z Android Bridge Officer
    2000z 4 Additional Starship Slots
    500z 2 Additional Costume Slots
    1065z 4 Additional Character Slots
    5000z 10 Respecs (Per character)
    2000z 20 account shared bank slots
    1500z 60 additional bank slot per character
    1600Z 72 additional INVENTORY SLOTS (PER CHARACTER)
    500z Energy Credit Increase

Unvalued items:
    Captain's Table Access
    Firework Ship Emote
    Veteran Starship Material
    Alternative Future Comm Badge
    lifetime comm badge
    Dilithium Refining Boost Doff Assignment
    5% Skill Point and Expertise Boost
    5% Team Skill and Expertise Boost
    Priority Login, Full Chat/Mail Access, Full Customer Service Access, No ads in voice chat, No limitations for fleet creation.

Titles:
    Stalwart
    Redoubtable
    Dauntless
    Valiant
    Relentless
    Magnificent
    Impressive
    Vigilant
    Guardian
    Starfleet/Empire Veteran
    Career Officer

That's 27,765 zen in easily valued benefits besides the unvalued items. So over $250 in perks and $5 in zen back every month. I didn't even multiply out all the other benefits when you consider they are per character.

It's up to you to see how much value you will take from it. Keep in mind too that there have been sales (2 last year) for the LTS at $199.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Purchased mine the first day they were offered, haven't regretted it at all. I have received my money's worth in my opinion. If things drag on me, I can step back and know I can return at anytime with an increased stipend and other goodies. There have been times when I have been very frustrated with the game and its decisions, but I always come back.
  • Options
    sehlatkitten01sehlatkitten01 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No Its Not Worth It Anymore With This TRIBBLE That Cryptic Is Pulling On Everyone , Everything They Are Nerfing And New Updates That Screwed Up Foundry Stuff Its Down Right Ridiculous And They Are Making The Game Crappy By Doing So And Listing To Whinny Freaking Cry Babies Saying Nerf This And Nerf That, They Have Already Lost My Dad Wanting To Keep Playing Now And He Is Only A F2p Cause Of The Bs They Lost A Lifetime Sub From Him. Cryptic Needs To Grow Up And See They Are Making The Game No Fun Anymore And They Need To Stop Killing It. !!!!!!

Signed A Very Extremely Po'ed Lifer .
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I am not super familiar with MMOs, but I think STO is going to be around for quite a while. A lot of the people who are predicting the doom of the game are a lot quieter now that things are actually starting to roll from the money infusion PWE put in. One reason Cryptic couldn't deliver on promises (and they weren't all promises) was because they didn't have the resources - Atari treated this game horribly, and as one can see from their recent bankruptcy, they may well not know what they're doing in general financially. Also, the forum community has a lot of those that are simultaneously the most dedicated and the most aggrieved in the entire game. Frankly it can be a massive sink of negativity, so you shouldn't base all your assumptions on what you see here. Those crying out their grievances, ranging from fully justified to ridiculous, are usually the loudest. Which is not to say the forums should be ignored entirely - that said, the context of the discourse here must be kept in mind.

However, that does not answer your question - is an LTS worth it? Excellent question. Personally, if I were you I'd consider just going Gold. You get bonuses when you level, you get priority in-queue, you help the game out financially, etc. If the game is still around it will cost more in the long-run, but it's a lot less sticker shock up front and gives you a chance to effectively bail.

Also the connectivity issues are not something I normally experience, although that's just my personal experience. Login queues are rare.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2013

The end is in the rear view mirror, in terms of paying for a subscription of any sort for this game. A lifetime sub for a freemium game? That's madness. And not worth it.

Another poster pointed out how you can pretty much just buy a month and get lots of the unlocks you want. It's cheaper and far more efficient. Even if you have to pay for ... gasp ... another month sometime in the future to get unlocks for later created characters. Heh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    desdinova216desdinova216 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the question the OP needs to ask himself is, Do you think you will want to subscribe for 2 years? since the normal price of the lifetime is about what you would spend for 2 years worth of subscription.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2013
    I got a lifetime sub and so did 2 other fleet members in the last sale as this is the only MMO we play and it's still for the most part fun flying around shooting stuff. The extra bank slots, costume slots etc are really good and useful. I'd recommend looking at the list Mikefl posted and ticking what you'll get for a month of subscription vs a lifetime one.

It's also worth looking at the Z-Store for things you might want and totting up the cost in Zen for them and converting to money, if that amount is only $65 cheaper than a lifetime sub on sale would be ($200) then be patient and get a lifetime sub on sale as the extra bonuses like free ships etc are very nice to have.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1097 days into mine. Still don't regret the purchase.

There are a couple of other games where I do regret my LTS, but this is still not one of them.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not LTS, but I have been subscribed as gold shortly after I found about STO. Regardless of what some people might say, I find it very usefull and have never regreted my decision to subscribe to this awesome game.

The perks I get are very usefull to me, all the ships/character/boff/bank slots, the free tokens at every promotion, access to the Foundry for creating your own adventures, the automated dil. refinement and especially the 500 z. monthly stipend and the EC cap are quite nice and beneficial to have in game.
    Now because you're considering LTS, you'll have even more perks asap, the veteran rewards - all the ones mikefl has mentioned in his post before. Some very nice stuff there, like the awesome veteran ships or the liberated borg amongst many other things.

In my opinion I'd say that it's worth it, especially if you like STO because of Star Trek and not just as an MMO. And it is also a nice way to support the game we enjoy.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As a lifer and someone whos been around since before the game launched, I'd recommend against it. I personally regret the decision since I get little value from it.

The game is structured on a per character basis, in that most everything is isolated to a character, not very much account stuff. (EG: Reputation system, endgame grinding, many c-store items)

So, since LTS really only benefits people who are going to be around for a really really long time AND have a large number of characters, its probably better for you to go gold for a month or two, get your characters to max rank and buy the things you want off the store.

Summary: Don't get LTS unless you know for sure you are going to play this for years and will make a large number of characters.

I recommend going gold for a month or two for the stuff, then staying silver and buying what you want of the store.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.