What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some Vesta Questions

2»

Comments

• kepszkepsz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    lose the quad cannons, its a dps loss. go full aux and full weapon power. what problems this might cause, is an increase of dps, which means an increase in threat. you want threat reduction, if you want to heal (though imo a tank is better than a healer, as it will take and heal the damage, so the others wont even have to bother).
    also the general universal consoles could come in handy, the tachyokinetic converter, and the zero point quantum chamber.

also imo having the borg engines is not the way to go. if you love that deflector so much, then use the adapted engines (they are really really good), but I would suggest that you use the borg consoles, for the two piece healing bonus (thats good if you waste your healling on other ships, and good if you want to tank).
    also technically the adapted maco shields are good, and I do prefer them, the old maco shields are better imo (the power bonus it gives is pretty good, especially if you are going with turrets in the back)

edit: also for pve you want gravity well, and not that tyken's make the battlefield pretty rift boff power

Yes, borg engines will be replaced with adapted engines, just need more 2780 refined dilithium. So it will be done tomorow. :D
    But fore the borg healing bonus, the assimilated console are not part of the borg set since season7.
    In most battles, the borg fires me or somebody else. So i have enough heal for both cases. (I'm also in omega rep T5, with the proper heal bonuses like the bonus shield regeneration)

I feard about the 3 aux dhc setup, because of the possible loss in kinetic damage. So at the end i will get better hull killing power with 3 aux dhc than 2 aux dhc + Quad cannon?
  • hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2013
    The only way your aux and non aux forward weapons will perform as well as a single type is if you run both aux and wep at full power. There is probably some power sway there to take into account firing power reduction and such, however its not going to be more than likely 5-10 power so still basically maxed power.

You can do that but they all come with drawbacks such as just simply amping up the power levels will give you a low shield and eng power making you an easy kill.
    You could use a wepons battery to do it but you will only have good dps for however long the battery lasts. And you could probably due it with a power siphon build but you'd have dips in your power levels at times and would loose heals and the disable sci powers.

So its possible but I think the tradeoffs are to much to pay to do it where as just running one type will give you more options.

Now if they ever give feds the power leech, eptX doffs eptw/s cycle with maco shield adapted maco eng and deflector leach and the power + universal consoles; then run anything you please.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kepsz wrote: »
    What do you guys think about my Vesta build?

You can see the build in picture here: http://prohardver.hu/dl/upc/2013-02/39613_1.png
    And the BO's here: http://prohardver.hu/dl/upc/2013-02/39613_2.png
    *edit: the borg engine will be replaced tomorow

That Flow Cap console would be something great to replace with an Embassy console. A Mk X Embassy console is equivalent to a Mk XII Blue console of the same type, plus you can get Threat Reduction on top of a proc that can heal your hull or shields, making your Vesta a fair bit more survivable (there's also a plasma burn proc, but that'd likely draw more aggro to you). The Shield heal proc works pretty well on my Vesta.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wep: 95/60
    Shld: 55/25
    Engs: 40/25
    Aux: 125/90

I have Efficient captain, Warp Theorist, 5 Efficient BOffs, the Borg set (+5 to all power), and 6 ranks in all the power skills. Our builds do comparable damage, but you've given up 80% shield regen and 7% shield resistance to make use of Aux cannons, as well as reduce shield healing abilities.

In general if you go Aux, you go full Aux and totally ignore Weapon Power, loading up torpedoes and mines, using abilities. The Aux cannons allow you to have DHCs while doing this. Trying to split Aux and Weapons really negate the point of the Aux cannons, and the only reason you're able to pull numbers similar to an all-Aux or all-Weapon build is because you've dumped Shields. Increasing your threat while reducing your defense, I'm not sure how well that works out.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    I have Efficient captain, Warp Theorist, 5 Efficient BOffs, the Borg set (+5 to all power), and 6 ranks in all the power skills. Our builds do comparable damage, but you've given up 80% shield regen and 7% shield resistance to make use of Aux cannons, as well as reduce shield healing abilities.

In general if you go Aux, you go full Aux and totally ignore Weapon Power, loading up torpedoes and mines, using abilities. The Aux cannons allow you to have DHCs while doing this. Trying to split Aux and Weapons really negate the point of the Aux cannons, and the only reason you're able to pull numbers similar to an all-Aux or all-Weapon build is because you've dumped Shields. Increasing your threat while reducing your defense, I'm not sure how well that works out.

Yes, you're right - shield power is a lesser priority in this build but I rarely run a regenerative setup anyway (although I'm considering it given that I'm sort-of forced into using the Borg shield for the Regeneration Sequencer).

2 x Field Generators give me plenty of Shield HP's to play with though and several of my Boff skills are shield repairs so overall it's pretty resilient - certainly I have no survivability issues in Elite STFs (I haven't PvP'ed with it yet though).

Splitting the power levels into high weapons/high aux certainly doesn't negate the benefits of Aux cannons though - as detailed in my posts above, the intent is to get greater DPS than would be possible in a similarly specced weapons-only build - something which is clearly possible based on the power levels achievable.

As stated before - it's a niche build - certainly not for everyone, but I enjoy the benefits of running the ship at 125 Aux and doing more DPS than I would in the same ship with a 125 Weapons bias.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, you're right - shield power is a lesser priority in this build but I rarely run a regenerative setup anyway (although I'm considering it given that I'm sort-of forced into using the Borg shield for the Regeneration Sequencer).

2 x Field Generators give me plenty of Shield HP's to play with though and several of my Boff skills are shield repairs so overall it's pretty resilient - certainly I have no survivability issues in Elite STFs (I haven't PvP'ed with it yet though).

with high aux, two field gens and a maco shield is more than enough for STFs on a threat build like mine. if you cant tank in it without threat skill, you are doing something wrong :)
    YSplitting the power levels into high weapons/high aux certainly doesn't negate the benefits of Aux cannons though - as detailed in my posts above, the intent is to get greater DPS than would be possible in a similarly specced weapons-only build - something which is clearly possible based on the power levels achievable.

As stated before - it's a niche build - certainly not for everyone, but I enjoy the benefits of running the ship at 125 Aux and doing more DPS than I would in the same ship with a 125 Weapons bias.

my problem is, that even though you might deal better dmg with such a setup, you would pretty much lose everything else there is, just because you had to go for so many power skills. unless you manage 100+ weapon power 125 aux power at the same time, you do not get the full benefit, while wasting skill points.

on the other hand, having so much aux power, just makes stuff comfortable, and lazy, and the game lets you get away with 7k DPS fairly easy

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2