test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dominion Polaron and Phased Polaron

ericphailericphail Member Posts: 87 Arc User
This is mostly a nitpick but I need to get it out of my system:

I'm assuming the Hybrid Polaron-Tetryon weapons under the name Dominion Polaron where renamed from phased polaron to get them out of the way of the new weapons (from the dominion lockbox no less - this amuses me).

However the name change wasn't properly run through the game as while the item itself was renamed, the old name remains attached to the associated skills.

On a less pedantic note does anyone have opinions on the new phased polaron?

(If someone would point the pedantic comment out to a dev for a few seconds attention at the next patch)

I'd like to be able to feel I contributed something no matter how small or pedantic to the game
Post edited by ericphail on

Comments

• Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have no experience with the new Phased Polarons, but do the phaser and polaron procs not conflict?

Bringing a subsystem offline via Phasers reduces the benefit of draining energy from it via Polarons.

This may be an immature perception though.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I found it odd that they gave the new name to the old weapons rather than giving the new name to the new weapons.

I mean, we have the Romulan Plasma which has the additional Disruptor proc. Dominion Polaron with the additional Phaser proc...well...yeah, it would have followed along the lines of what they did with the Romulan Plasma.

As for the redundancy - well, you'd need to have both the 2.5% Phaser and 2.5% Polaron procs to land at the same time for that to happen - even if it were a case that the Phaser proc triggered later in the fight after the Polaron proc, you would still have benefited from the Polaron proc until the Phaser proc.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    IDominion Polaron with the additional Phaser proc...

I think the main reason why they were renamed was because the additional proc was actually Tetryon, not Phaser. The Phased prefix was quite misleading. Even worse, the Polarized Tetryons did not have a Polaron proc, but simply a stronger Tetryon proc.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    macricanmacrican Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i've only tested out the the new phased polaron's a little, but found them a bit meh. No real love, but not hating on them either. The Dominion Polarons though, are made of awesome. I still use them to great effect on my boat. I'm a little disappointed that the latest lockbox didn't have an upgrade for them to mk12 purples, but only a little. they still work grrreat!
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I use both (on different ships mostly), and find them useful. Phased polaron dual cannons make a slightly different sound and have a different 'brightness' to the projectile, while the beams are a bit more transparent and purplish than the solid pink Dominion Polaron. I haven't been able to notice any cosmetic difference between normal single cannons and phased polaron ones.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i will only say that i think the Phased Polaron weapons look a LOT nicer than the normal Polaron Weapons.

in fact i think the normal Polaron weapons have so much FX going on that i get FPS drops on rapid fire, not so with the Phased Polarons.

also i finally got around to swap from the Beam setup of my Bug Ship to a DHC + Turret Setup, works slightly better.

i have yet to see a *disabled icon* on a npc though with those weapons. *can't tell if procs are working or just being trolled by RNG*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I found it odd that they gave the new name to the old weapons rather than giving the new name to the new weapons.

I mean, we have the Romulan Plasma which has the additional Disruptor proc. Dominion Polaron with the additional Phaser proc...well...yeah, it would have followed along the lines of what they did with the Romulan Plasma.

As for the redundancy - well, you'd need to have both the 2.5% Phaser and 2.5% Polaron procs to land at the same time for that to happen - even if it were a case that the Phaser proc triggered later in the fight after the Polaron proc, you would still have benefited from the Polaron proc until the Phaser proc.

The thing to remember is that phaser subsyst dmg is limited to 1 subsyst every 10sec. with only a 5sec. knockout window. Also borg have active abilities to shield themselves from phaser subsyst dmg for short durations, this is why i have stopped using phasers in favor of other weapons. Also they still got dominion ships weapon color wrong!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!