test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

State of the Game: January 2013

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited February 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Star Trek Online Executive Producer Daniel Stahl checks in with this month's State of the Game article. Give it a read by clicking on the link below and let us know your thoughts in this thread!

Link to the news article.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I fully expect the comments section to get eaten alive by players complaining about the connection issues Cryptic is having, but refuses to take responsibility for. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    - Creating our first small-craft event in the Vault and implementing a way to select a ?default? small craft for missions like these.

I believe that latter option is broken, it's TRIBBLE up our bios and repair ship screens.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Free ships!

Whoop!

Thank you!
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    State of the game - As of today unplayable due to launcher issues by a sizable player base of the game it seems from US to UK.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=241232
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    All players who complete the new episode between Jan 31st and Feb 14th will receive a free Ambassador Class (Fed) or Kamarag Class (KDF) starship as a reward.

Thats all the important news from J.J. Stahl's propaganda announcement. STO's 'state of the onion' address doesn't mention how many of those new features are still broken, but as he says "but there's still a long way to go and many improvements needed and old bugs to squash".

Good luck.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I really, really hope those new ships are worthwhile, especially the Ambassador class I have been waiting for since... forever. :)
  • movodormovodor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Don't really care about the launcher issues. They'll be fixed. Settle.
    Useless propaganda of an address, vast majority pointless fluff, smells of meaning-empty PR.
    But free Ambassador.
    eeeee...
  • sharyssasharyssa Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ......meh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    With the game out of commission, I just might go outside today :D
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yay Free Ships!
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    Hahahah genius!

"State of the game"... yeah, I think it's pretty clear what the state of the game is right now wightout reading whatever dstahl has to say.

I suppose the servers are extraordinarily lag-free?
    You should start advertising that, Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That was a fine read. Very encouraging and giving me that "I'm looking forward to the new feature" feeling I associate with STO since I've joined in Open Beta.

The two new classes, Ambassador and Kamarag, leave a good excellent impression and I'm sure to try both of them out.

One thing I hope for in 2013 is the continuation of (dangling) story lines, i.e. the Reman independence, the Iconian scheme (Shouldn't its revelation immediately end all wars in the quadrant?) and the Fek'Ihri/Hur'q mystery sequel hook (at the end of Afterlife).

For me, STO became my favourite Star Trek game already years ago, ecplising my beloved Armada series. The thing is, I loved this game from Day One because it let me experience the Star Trek universes first hand. Everything that came afterwards (ships, species, missions, features, etc.) only added to that. I was a happy Fed/KDF player back in 2010, I'm a more happy Fed/KDF player now. That's why I have little complain - because the game in itself is more than I could've ever wished for.

/my 2 cents
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • vividhvividh Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hopefully the launcher issue is fixed by then... free ship is always fun
    In game: @vividh
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would love to see the stats on the new ships. I hope they are good and fleet version are released down the road.
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Progress! And most importantly a healthy game running on a F2P model! Means we get to keep playing Star Trek!
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The 3rd Anniversary? Has it really been a year since the last? :eek:

Time flies when you are having fun! Very much looking forward to what you have in store for the coming year, and congratulations on the past year. :D
    edited January 2013
    vividh wrote: »
    Hopefully the launcher issue is fixed by then... free ship is always fun

Last time the problem persisted two weeks or so for some people...
    That would leave us 3-4 days to get the ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Oh, a free ship. Nice.

In this state of the game, we learn that the team has tons of unrevealed plans and want to add stuff to the game. What a surprise. :P
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm actually surprised how little new info this SOTG included. Truly disappointing.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Tl;dr

Nice as i'm sure it is for you to reflect upon your favorite moments from 2012, I can't help but feel that that impressive list of feats is somewhat offset by the massive problems that the game has suffered.

Anyway, enough about that - the Ambassador and Kamarag class I am intrigued by. I just hope that this isn't re-run of the Breen ship, with both ships lacking any unique bridge.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • koppenflakkoppenflak Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "More than Two Million Captains"...

...Please tell me I read that right? :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Oh, a free ship. Nice.

In this state of the game, we learn that the team has tons of unrevealed plans and want to add stuff to the game. What a surprise. :P

^^^
    Well, in that vein, reading that they are transitioning from a 5 day, to a 6 day development work week schedule, was somewhat of a surprise (and nice to hear at the same time.) I guess that means the Dev team build up/expansion is working out.

Anyhow, it seems STO is doing well in PWE's eyes; and they're continuing to support future ongoing content development.

(Unlike say, the current state of Cryptic's other currently up and running MMO - Champions Online; which by my observation has honestly been put as close to MMO maintenance mode as it can get of late -- which is sad as IMO that game still has a lot of untapped potential to be a leader in the genre it simulates; the costumed superhero genre.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    koppenflak wrote: »
    "More than Two Million Captains"...

...Please tell me I read that right? :eek:

I think he should have said ... "More than Two Million Vice-Admirals" ...
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • joshmaaaaaaansjoshmaaaaaaans Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Captain?....

Thats Vice-Admiral, *****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    indyshark wrote: »
    I would love to see the stats on the new ships. I hope they are good and fleet version are released down the road.

Hoping they give us the ship free on the anniversary event and then put it in the C-store like the Excelsior for others to get that missed out.

Also hoping they release a fleet version of it at Fleet Tier 3. (down the road)
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And a new expression is born. :D

"Over two million!"
    signwidrona.png
    edited January 2013
    Here's my State of the Fail: January 2013.
    I really only cover the last few months and am sure to forget loads of things.
    I'm not putting as much effort into this as dstahl.
    I meant to say even less effort.

1. Cryptic messed up its mesh exporter: black polygons everywhere to this day.
    2. The Federation began using Bio-Neural Warheads (sentient, living nukes) for the lulz.
    3. The blatant time & EC drain called "reputation system" was introduced:
      Calculated to take at the very least 1 month, not ****ing matter what. 29,761904761904761904761904761905 days. Calc.exe does not lie.
      Don't forget the "buy 50 Hypos in 2 stacks of 20 and 1 stack of 10 and immediately destroy them by dumping them into a project" part!
    4. Fabricated explosion of Dilithium demand to slow players the eff down. PERIOD.
      You want something?... suuuuure, but refine a weeks worth of Dilithium first - for each individual item.
    5. The FREE Q's Winter Wonderland and its FREE Chel'Grett Warship for absolutely FREE.
      Did I mention it's FREE? FREE! Are you deaf?! FREE!!!
      This kind of talk is so unprofessional, it's laughable... and desperate.
      Now if you say "But we ARE desperate!"; Yes, Cryptic, I know, but you're supposed to keep it to yourself.
    6. While we're talking about despair, right on to the next point:
      Lockboxes & Lobi Crystals!
      Who doesn't love them? .. right: pretty much everybody.
      There's a few people who love them and some more who use them due to self-described "necessity".
      Just create of fork of the game called Lockbox-Online to cater to those people. :-P
    7. Network outtakes and server performance issues.
      The first is happening once again just now, the latter is Star Trek canon, it seems.
      Herpa derpa shubidibu.
    8. Not to forget: "Server not responding"
      Why doth thou reject my blunt advances my beloved serveur?
    9. Nothing got fixed!
      Name one actual issue that was fixed! Issues they created-then-fixed don't count. Only pre-existing issues.
      Damn straight! They don't ever actually fix a thing apart from some quick and dirty damage-prevention.

(The Vet Andoid was fixed by a Dev in her free time. Doesn't count.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    it has been agreat year. though the majority of aditions have added a grind to the game like never befor, its given those 2 million players a reason to log in every single day to at least start the projects, and then do other things too. though grindy, the game is signifiganly richer fro everything that happened this year.

cant WAIT for the anniversary event and the long awaited ambassador and the sweet new kdf cruiser. don't know why your bothering with the tier 3 version at this point, thats kinda a outdated concept really, but i hope thats not the version we are getting for free. and if the ships we get arent fleet ship level, hopeful there will immediately be a fleet level version of them added to the fleet store or c store too.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    6 day work week? does sound fishy to me...
    do the Devs get paid for all 6 days? or is this a "we need you to work more for the same price or we can't afford to keep you employed anymore" kind of deal?

what if they do want to keep their 2 day weekend ...i know, i would!
    i really do not want to suffer the in-game results from Dev Burn Out Syndrome...
    there is too much rushed, glitched, bugged, unfinished, not working as intended and just pure lousy quality content inside STO already (not saying that there is no good stuff here, just that the bad is sometimes overshadowing the good and a bit more quality control, and finishing what you started mindset, would help a lot)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainbrown2captainbrown2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ive got to at least question the wisdom of posting an upbeat state of the game while many players are unable to connect due to an issue.

Just a suggestion maybe hold off on the good news next time until the problems resolved.