test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What energy weapons type do you use, and why

13»

Comments

• the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've tried using a combo of the hybrid and the regular distruptors they work well together since they are technically considered the same kind of weapon they usually don't cause extra drain.

I've not tried the phased hybrids with anything else yet tho.

I think they made those types of weapons so you could have a secondary debuff and not be penalized for doing the rainbow thing.
  • fedman70fedman70 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do you think someone could be done to compensate for a rainbow boat's problems? I don't think a console that would boost all energy types to the same bonus would be the answer- then no one would use the specialized ones (just phasers etc)

What about something that would say- increase the proc chance if you use more than one energy type

Or some other benefit?
  • aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    fedman70 wrote: »
    Do you think someone could be done to compensate for a rainbow boat's problems? I don't think a console that would boost all energy types to the same bonus would be the answer- then no one would use the specialized ones (just phasers etc)

What about something that would say- increase the proc chance if you use more than one energy type

Or some other benefit?

Problem? I prefer to see this as a situation where players to 'specialize' get a bonus (and potentially risk facing another player who got shields tailored to be resistant to your energy type.)

Besides, rainbow boats aren't all bad. The main disadvantage being the +30% versus +20% comparing 'mono-energy' to 'rainbow-energy.

So go out in your ship to orbital space (in orbit or outside a starbase), and compare +30% vs +20% (i.e. equip a disruptor beam array, and compare the difference between a disruptor coil console and a DEW console of the same mark.)

Not that bad right? Especially if you were previously assuming '+30%' meant an increase in DPS of 30%. Lol... not even close.

And it's such fun in PvP, everyone always assumes you're that 'no0b', never mind the purple mk 12 consoles and acc3/acc2dmg2 weapons... it makes victory all that much easier and sweeter. Even in PvE, it's fun to out-DPS the 'elite' in STFs.

All things being equal, specializing in an energy type is better than doing the rainbow. If you know your target's resistances (i.e. PvE), you can pick something like the STF Holy Trinity of AP/Disruptor/Plasma.

Otherwise, pilot tactics and skill will matter a whole lot more. Wait till the new EPtX changes hit Holo...

Now, to really get people's goat.. try putting a torp, DBB, DHC and a cutting beam up front. Don't forget to pack THY3, BO3 and CRF3.

On another paw... doesn't anyone else carry multiple sets of energy types? How many 'disruptor' BOPs does it take to keep 'disruptor hull breach' 75% up on a Borg tact cube anyway? Surely those are more important questions.
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Unless the devs release a magic console that specifically helps rainbow builds, there is just too much of a cost to pay (in terms of reduced damage potential) for using energy weapons of a different energy type.

The closest I come to using different beam weapons is when I'm using Antiproton weapons and the Chroniton Dual Beam Array (which is actually an Antiproton weapon that just looks different) from the temporal warfare set.

The only other time I use rainbow builds is if I'm leveling a new character and can't obtain all of the same type of energy weapons at a particular moment ... but I switch to all the same type of energy weapons as quickly as possible.

My two personal favorites are Antiproton and Cardassian Spiral Wave Disruptors. If I'm not using those then I'm either using standard Disruptors or Phasers.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • xgorillapxxgorillapx Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is a good amount of info regarding which energy weapon types used as well as the positives and negatives of each.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=295581
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,464 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tripph wrote: »
    I'm tempted to build a rainbow boat and call it the "USS Skittles".

And bind a chat command to shout "FEEL the rainbow!" every time I destroy something.

Don't even joke about that.. <runs away scared>
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • crimpson7crimpson7 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I use those
    Fore Weapons:
    2x Advanced Fleet Andorian Phaser Dual Heavy Cannons Accx2 Dmgx2
    1x Advanced Fleet Andorian Dual Phaser Beam Bank Accx2 Dmgx2
    1x Kumari Phaser wing cannons Dmgx4
    1x Quantum Torpedo Launcer Mk XI Very Rare Accx3
    Aft Weapons:
    1x Phaser Turret MkXI Acc Dmgx2
    1xQuantum Mine Launcher MkXII Dmgx3
    I chose to go with full andorian phaser set cause i despise rainbow boats and also i like the blue hue of the andorian weapons. Also the wing cannons just force a phaser build. In addittion, I like the phaser proc
    The Wildcards Fleet =/\=
    Admiral T'Vanto of the I.R.W. Dreaded Balerion (Scimitar Dreadnought Warbird) "Burn them All!"
    Admiral Atraxis of the U.S.S. Daskalogiannis (Avenger class Cruiser) "I am Iron Cat!"
  • fishworshipper1fishworshipper1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm planning on going with the Romulan Plasma weapons, because of the shield-piercing damage proc. YOU CAN'T HAZARD EMITTERS FOREVER!