test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why couldent PWE sell the Jem?Hadar Dreadnought Carrier

tcbys1tcbys1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
On the C-store for 30 bucks or so. I wanna get it but I dont wanna spend all that money to get Lobi crystals to get the damn thing.
Post edited by tcbys1 on

Comments

• Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Because they make more money in lottery.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Pretty much the reason they've given us since the JHAS originally came out:

CBS (apparently) doesn't want non-Fed/KDF ships that much in circulation.

Which was tossed out the window even back with the Tholian lockbox, and it finally hit the ground with the Chel Grett.

In other words, it's not really that believable anymore, due to the sheer number of these ships about anyways.

Besides, people are willing to pay heaps of money anyways for these, and Cryptic has a good thing going on, it ain't changing anytime soon, if ever.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    tcbys1tcbys1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »

Which was tossed out the window even back with the Tholian lockbox, and it finally hit the ground with the Chel Grett.

In other words, it's not really that believable anymore, due to the sheer number of these ships about anyways.

Besides, people are willing to pay heaps of money anyways for these, and Cryptic has a good thing going on, it ain't changing anytime soon, if ever.

I'd pay 30 or bucks to get that Jem Hadar ship.

Would be nice if they put the ships in the C-Store 6 months after the lockbox ends.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I would pay 30 bucks, with TNG era ships with lockbox stats. And I'm pretty sure a lot of players would as well. Instead we get alien design. Well good for me, I save 30 bucks.

If Cryptic was smart enough, they would sell skins and layouts separate. That would make them tons of money.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    for money of course, which is needed to develop all that shiny stuff (albeit with bugs) you ask for, pay salaries, pay for server hardware and electricity, and finally pay profits to investors who really don't care how money comes as long as it is coming steady.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just buy it for the 80m or so it sells for on the Exchange. 80m is easy money.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    just Buy It For The 80m Or So It Sells For On The Exchange. 80m Is Easy Money.

How?!?!?!? >:(
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    csgtmyork wrote: »
    How?!?!?!? >:(

Laziest way might be buying Keys and selling them on the exchange ... (you might be able to get the ship for ~40 bucks this way, if you sell them when Key prices are up, and wait till Ship prices are down)

.... or by selling Contraband, Strange Alien Artifacts, MkXII Stuff etc ....
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Yes and no.

Yes, CBS wants to limit the amount of non-canon, non-faction aligned (ie, non-UFP/KDF) ships players are flying around.

No, that concept wasn't tossed out the window just because you see players receiving lockbox ships often.

Putting rare ships in lockboxes means that rare ships are actually rare, despite how frequently you're seeing players get them. There is probably (always has been) a great deal of disconnect between the amount of players people think are in-game at any single point in time and how many there actually are because of the way this game is instanced. For every one message you're seeing of someone getting a lockbox ship, there are thousands that are also opening lockboxes and not getting these ships, and a grossly larger amount of people online period.

If they put them into the C-Store, Cryptic absolutely cannot promise to CBS that they are limiting how many are in circulation because EVERYONE can just buy them instead of having to jump some hoops to purchase or acquire keys (and I guess boxes too, although I still can't imagine why people actually buy boxes) that someone else purchased for a CHANCE that it might contain a ship.

Sure, you could increase your own personal likelihood of getting one (or more) ships by the time a particular lockbox is unavailable by investing an inordinate amount of time and/or money to open as many lockboxes as you can (or someone else getting their hands on the ships via the same method so you can buy it on the Exchange), but the lockbox ships are still a lot rarer than any ship you'll see on the C-Store.

(Another note on odds: even if something has a 0.01% chance to drop it doesn't mean 1 in every 10,000 boxes has that particular item. If you open 9,999 boxes with no item, it's not guaranteed to be in the 10,000th box. Each individual box has a 0.01% chance of containing that item. For a simpler example, imagine a six-sided die: only six possible outcomes, with a 16.666666667% (1/6) chance of it landing on any particular side. However, you could roll a boxcar (6) all night long, or NEVER AT ALL. You're not guaranteed to hit a particular side 1 out of every 6 times. A random result is still random. Odds increase or decrease the chance of a particular result, but it's still random. So, you can increase your own personal likelihood that you will get one if you open a million lockboxes, but it doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get a particular item, just as it's unlikely that someone who only opens one lockbox will get that same item, but it doesn't mean they won't. The odds are the same, you're just rolling the dice more often.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    blindsaviour666blindsaviour666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tcbys1 wrote: »
    On the C-store for 30 bucks or so. I wanna get it but I dont wanna spend all that money to get Lobi crystals to get the damn thing.

Because 800 lobi is close to 16k zen and that's no where near 30 bucks or so :D
    Out of the darkness
    On the road where the dead years run
    Cold as moonlight
    Terrible as the sun
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes and no.

Yes, CBS wants to limit the amount of non-canon, non-faction aligned (ie, non-UFP/KDF) ships players are flying around.

No, that concept wasn't tossed out the window just because you see players receiving lockbox ships often.

Arn't you forgetting the breen ship that we all got for "free".
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I couldn't disagree more with that reasoning.

By their own admission their main in-come is from selling lockboxes. Which obviously means a lot of people are buying them; and it also means they have no way to limit the number of "rare" ships in the game.

... which however they could do if it meant anything - including on the c-store or through fleets.

Of course it's about the people crazy enough to scrap every last lobi for real life money. If people feel satisfied buying ship what's the problem?

In addition to that, even f2p'ers are allowed to gain access to those "rare" or end-game ships, solid either way you look at it.

Lastly about the CBS that's played each time. How does it work exactly?

If we got a third faction those ships would be illegal - so we can't even have a new faction - OR are ships legal when they belong to a canon faction.
    I am no star trek expert but I'd say ferengi, jem hadar etc are all canon factions so how does it work exactly?
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Yeah, they did a good job on "keeping it rare". :rolleyes:

I pretty just came to the conclusion back with Season 6 that STO had become an overgrown Star Trek theme park. If CBS makes STO official prime-universe canon, we as Star Trek fans are in trouble. Because what we knew was canon was tossed out the window for sake of $$$.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bones1970 wrote: »
    Arn't you forgetting the breen ship that we all got for "free".

The Breen ship that all the people that were online during the holiday event and did the race for 25 days got for free... which is to say, not "all", and hence, limited.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, they did a good job on "keeping it rare". :rolleyes:

I pretty just came to the conclusion back with Season 6 that STO had become an overgrown Star Trek theme park. If CBS makes STO official prime-universe canon, we as Star Trek fans are in trouble. Because what we knew was canon was tossed out the window for sake of $$$.

To be fair, even a Star Trek book written by a 2 year old is more canon than Star Trek Online: Lockbox will ever be ;)

You just have to look at it like this, the excuse was bs and its just about the money....
  • Options
    picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I really hope that you either get a kick out of perpetuating this ridiculous claim or you work for Cryptic or something and not that you actually believe this.

The coolest ships go in lockboxes lottery for one reason, and one reason only. Players end up paying MUCH MORE in the end to get the ship. And some players that won't get it, and don't even have the $30 or $50 to buy it will still burn $10 of Lobi keys in the HOPE of getting it.
  • Options
    trellabortrellabor Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Greed.

Lately, it seems evident the only content Cryptic is interested in developing is that which puts the most $$$ in their pockets for the least amount of effort. The only 'depth' being considered is that of our pockets. I've seen so many people posting here and in Z-chat about the $100-$200 they spent opening boxes trying to get that ship and STILL haven't gotten one. That's much more per person than just outright selling it for $30 in ZEN. It's business and marketing, albeit unscrupulous and under handed toward players.
    ____
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The o3 - Killed you good
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2013
    Well to be honest it pays the bills to keep the only Star Trek themed MMO you're likely to get online. From what I gather Cryptic were circling the drain till PWE bought them and now they have a bigger team than they ever had.

Yes it's not going to be the strict cannon a lot of people will crave but then again it's a game that has to make money and the TV show that was furthest in the future was Voyager, which ended in 2001.

Don't get me wrong I don't like having to do the lockbox lottery to get stuff (more so for lobi crystals and items bought with it) and I REALLY hate how it's all character unlock and not account or faction unlock but the lockboxes are a necessary evil that could be tweaked a little to be more fair.

Others have already stated the CBS licenesing issue to the OP too so I'll skip that.

Just my 2 cents.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    Well to be honest it pays the bills to keep the only Star Trek themed MMO you're likely to get online. From what I gather Cryptic were circling the drain till PWE bought them and now they have a bigger team than they ever had.

And yet, the "content" we've gotten as a result is in every way inferior, and geared almost solely towards sucking the playerbase dry instead of actually providing something resembling an engaging and entertaining game.
    Yes it's not going to be the strict cannon a lot of people will crave but then again it's a game that has to make money and the TV show that was furthest in the future was Voyager, which ended in 2001.

Nemesis occurs considerably after Voyager.
    Don't get me wrong I don't like having to do the lockbox lottery to get stuff (more so for lobi crystals and items bought with it) and I REALLY hate how it's all character unlock and not account or faction unlock but the lockboxes are a necessary evil that could be tweaked a little to be more fair.

Lockboxes are absolutely not a necessary evil, they're a self serving and greedy money grab. Everything being stuffed into a lockbox could just as easily be put into the c-store for a reasonable price, and people would still buy them. The difference is, if it's in the c-store then players actually have a choice as to what they spend their money on, instead of the giant rigged gambling system that lockboxes are.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I couldn't care less about the greedy lottery-boxes and their alien ships, if the funds raised from it would be used to STAR TREK content for both STARFLEET and KDF faction.

I would rather spend 100 bucks on powerful Starfleet ship from TNG era. Dominion ? thanks, but no thanks.
  • Options
    pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They have people paying hundreds of dollars for a chance to win one....
    Why would they put it on C-Store for $30? Or $50 for that matter?
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    These threads are so funny because there is at least five or six of the same response from different people. I gather that is because either they didn't read the entire thread or want a higher post count.

Anyways, 2387 from Star Trek is actually the farthest on-screen. Book wise, in which the game does take content from, it is in 2385, (except for the STO book), and comics wise, in which the game does take content from, its 2387.

If these lock box ships actually had good story backgrounds rather than a blurb, then I would say yeah I can see that but, the story of a Ferengi company selling front-line warships to Starfleet officers in lieu of their own Starfleet ships is extremely in plausible and it shows that Starfleet has degraded into the same clan-style fleet as the KDF. So Starfleet, the main defensive arm of the UFP, is now run and operated by warlords which make this so far from the true ideals of the UFP is not even funny, soon Cryptic will offer our fleets' planets and that will be factions, our Fleets.

Or STO is just a holodeck adventure that Riker is running.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Pure profit. Why would they sell it on the store for $25-30 when they can make 10X the amount of that with boxes per customer? A typical Jem Dread ship selling this day for about 180-200 or so keys (depending whether one gets 4 or more crystals) equals to $188-$200.

I would wait for the prices to come down...the ships are also being sold in the exchange already for 80MIL ECs...there are some glitches with the fighters so still some bugs to fix. :cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Why couldent PWE sell the Jem?Hadar Dreadnought Carrier?

The better question is why didn't Cryptic wait and release a Dominion faction with rewards like Romulan and Omega? (Although having maximum positive reputation with everyone at the same time even in the idealistic Star Trek universe is more than a bit absurd.)
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    Because they make more money in lottery.

That is the answer to any and all questions pertaining to the Cryptic decision process. Longevity and quality of gameplay are not factors.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Giving us the ability to buy the Jem Carrier outright would have been nice but there would have been no way for Cryptic to use it to boost the sales of lock box keys.

I like the Jem Carrier but what kills it for me is the fact that if I want to use Bug ships has hanger support I need to 1st own the lock box Bug ship and have it unpacked and tacking up a ship slot just to buy the hanger versions for the Carrier :eek:

I don't want the Bug ship and would have no need for it on my KDF main that only uses carriers.

Cryptic has relly hit a new low with own a Bug to buy a Bug scam, all there trying to do is squeeze more money out of the player base with this and it's sickening :mad:

If I own the Jem Carrier I should be able to buy all avaiable Hanger options for it without haveing to own a ship that I'd never use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And yet, the "content" we've gotten as a result is in every way inferior,

Lets compare new social zones like New Romulus to an older social zone like Andoria. Even places like bajor have some function and missions attached to it. Places like andoria and risa don't count.

Right now their focus is to get new systems into place. The other things they have to do is revamp old system and add new content. When we look at Season 7 they added the reputation system. since it was based off a previous system they could put more time into a new sector block. Considering the content drought that was mid season 3 to 5 of about 10 months where nothing changed I'm ok if all they could do was add a few missions like no win or colony invasion. we have seen them do more.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    That is the answer to any and all questions pertaining to the Cryptic decision process. Longevity and quality of gameplay are not factors.

Oh you bet your TRIBBLE they are factors. They got to have short term goals before they can have long term ones. :rolleyes: