Comments

• hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited January 2013
    Computer, deactivate lens flare. Deactivate lens flare! AHH! :mad:
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    *sigh* What happened to the days of writing a movie where you don't have to do background research ahead of time in order to ejoy it?
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    *sigh* What happened to the days of writing a movie where you don't have to do background research ahead of time in order to ejoy it?

I don't recall ever needing to read the first comics for the 2009 movie since it was self explanatory....this is just for fans who want extra....and Trek fans love elaborate explanations
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited January 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I don't recall ever needing to read the first comics for the 2009 movie since it was self explanatory....this is just for fans who want extra....and Trek fans love elaborate explanations

Unless you wanted to know why Nero was after Spock to begin with and why he would spend 25 years moping. With the comics, Nero becomes an effective villian. Without the comics, he's a brooding emo who just does bad things because he's the bad guy.

I shouldn't have to do research in order to see the difference.
    Unless you wanted to know why Nero was after Spock to begin with and why he would spend 25 years moping. With the comics, Nero becomes an effective villian. Without the comics, he's a brooding emo who just does bad things because he's the bad guy.

The deleted scenes on the DVD flesh out Nero's story, too. I really wish they hadn't been deleted, it was pretty cool to see what Nero was up to for 25 years. Simple miner my TRIBBLE.

Oh yeah, and the Romulus story arc in STO gives some nice explanation as to why Nero's ship was so powerful. ;)
  • betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The mind meld scene in the movie explain that Nero wants revenge because Spock was too slow to save Romulus. It might not have been in as much detail as we would have liked, but it did explain that basic fact. So no, you dont actually need to read the comic to understand his motivation.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013

They pretty much explained why Nero was chasing Spock...the comic was just extra:cool:

The same way you don't need to research Space Seed to know why Khan is chasing Kirk.:eek:

Trek villains are obsessive....no explanation necessary.;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The deleted scenes on the DVD flesh out Nero's story, too. I really wish they hadn't been deleted, it was pretty cool to see what Nero was up to for 25 years. Simple miner my TRIBBLE.

Oh yeah, and the Romulus story arc in STO gives some nice explanation as to why Nero's ship was so powerful. ;)
    I only glanced at the comic, and only out of curiosity, TBH. Didn't read it. Didn't need it to enjoy the movie either. I do understand what you mean about allowing a movie to stand on its own though. IMO, Star Wars is the worst offender in this regard, but I've pretty much abandoned the franchise for that among several other reasons...
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
    edited January 2013

Deleted scenes don't count. Honestly, the simple fact they were deleted means they weren't needed to tell the story. I don't need to wait for the DVD in order for your movie to make sense. The deleted scenes added to extended edition of LOTR expanded the story. They weren't needed to make the movie make sense.

The mind meld scene in the movie explain that Nero wants revenge because Spock was too slow to save Romulus. It might not have been in as much detail as we would have liked, but it did explain that basic fact. So no, you dont actually need to read the comic to understand his motivation.

According to the mind meld, all that Spock says is he was captured by Nero for failing to stop the destruction of Romulus. It is never explained 1) why Nero even knew about Spock, 2) Why Nero would be anywhere near Spock, 3) why Nero blamed Spock to begin with.

When someone loses a house to a fire, they don't blame the firemen. Spock stopped the explosion. Was he too late to stop the destruction of Romulus, sure. But where the hell were the Romulans. According to the movie, sitting there with their thumbs up their TRIBBLE waiting to be destroyed. And Nero is going to blame the enemy of the Romulans for failing to save them in time?

With no background information, we are essentially left with the impression that Nero is blaming a specific firefighter for the loss of his home to a fire yet are never told how they know each other. Nero becomes less of a threat and more of a babbling mental patient.
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The same way you don't need to research Space Seed to know why Khan is chasing Kirk.:eek:

Trek villains are obsessive....no explanation necessary.;)

But they did explain it in the movie. Kahn, in the movie says, "Kirk marooned me here." There's your motivation!

Look, we could go in circles on this subject. This reviewer pretty much nails my thoughts on the film and my problem with Nero.
    Deleted scenes don't count. Honestly, the simple fact they were deleted means they weren't needed to tell the story. I don't need to wait for the DVD in order for your movie to make sense. The deleted scenes added to extended edition of LOTR expanded the story. They weren't needed to make the movie make sense.

According to the mind meld, all that Spock says is he was captured by Nero for failing to stop the destruction of Romulus. It is never explained 1) why Nero even knew about Spock, 2) Why Nero would be anywhere near Spock, 3) why Nero blamed Spock to begin with.

When someone loses a house to a fire, they don't blame the firemen. Spock stopped the explosion. Was he too late to stop the destruction of Romulus, sure. But where the hell were the Romulans. According to the movie, sitting there with their thumbs up their TRIBBLE waiting to be destroyed. And Nero is going to blame the enemy of the Romulans for failing to save them in time?

With no background information, we are essentially left with the impression that Nero is blaming a specific firefighter for the loss of his home to a fire yet are never told how they know each other. Nero becomes less of a threat and more of a babbling mental patient.

But they did explain it in the movie. Kahn, in the movie says, "Kirk marooned me here." There's your motivation!

Look, we could go in circles on this subject. This reviewer pretty much nails my thoughts on the film and my problem with Nero.

Spock tells Kirk he failed, Nero blames Spock, Nero explains the loss of his wife, and we have traditional trek villain who is angry...just like every bad guy in Trek he went mad, and wants payback

The comics are extra stuff for nitpick trek fans who need to know every little detail, the casual view pretty much gets the sum of it, and even without the comics you pretty much know the whole story.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • theboilermantheboilerman Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I agree, the scenes weren't necessary, but after I watched it the first time, I went "WTF was Nero doing for 25 years in between destroying the Kelvin and attacking Vulcan". The deleted scenes fill that plot hole in.
  • betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Exactly like I said:

Just because Nero's story was not explained in complete detail, or in as much detail as you might have preferred, does not change the fact that it was still explained.