test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Scale

zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
i remember thinking last time i've seen a Jem'Hadar NPC dreadnought that it was way to small compared to on screen...

just found this on my drive:

1 of 3
domside.JPG
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/xo5cqgyu/domside.JPG

2 of 3
domtop.jpg
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/0208c2f5/domtop.jpg

3 of 3
domfront.jpg
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/a13hypn9/domfront.jpg

i either found this on Doug Drexlers or John Eaves Blog some time ago

copyright by Paramount, doesn't get more official than that

more

http://i.imagebanana.com/img/k03mv78w/dominiongiantbreen.jpg

http://i.imagebanana.com/img/y2051e32/dominionvaliant1a.jpg
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/k7wfz9oi/dominionvaliant3.jpg

i wonder how accurate the scale in STO is for this Giant?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by zerobang on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    STO isn't accurate scale wise ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    actually the scales in STO are pretty spot on, unless they decide that it is too small to see (shuttles + defiant) or to big to work with their engine
    (and for some reason they scaled up the Steamrunner at Tier 5)

i don't really expect the Dreadnought to be much bigger than the Dominion Warship (the middle sized one that isn't in the Lockbox)...

but i would like to actually see a size comparison of it in STO, just to compare.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Do you really want to be a giant moving target?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's still the largest playable ship to date by a not insignificant margin.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    actually the scales in STO are pretty spot on, unless they decide that it is too small to see (shuttles + defiant) or to big to work with their engine
    (and for some reason they scaled up the Steamrunner at Tier 5).

Duh..... not hardly.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have a very hard time believing that a White Star is pushing five hundred meters long. Especially not with some of the Aurora and Thunderbolt flybys that happen.
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Eh, especially if it wasn't super precise in the episodes themselves, I don't see any problem with adjusting the dreadnought to fit in the game. I mean, changing sizes for ships and space stations is 'canon' anyway if you take every scene as gospel;)
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    STO isn't accurate scale wise ever.

Honestly, neither were the actual Star Trek episodes themselves a lot of the time. :D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Honestly, neither were the actual Star Trek episodes themselves a lot of the time. :D

So?

The Tv show has the excuse of using multiple models for a single ship, having a hundred or so people working on it at a given time, and a need for spectacle when it otherwise wouldn't make sense. (See the B'rel problem)

The problem with that, is when you try to do that with a video game, and you want to make everything look big and impressive, hilariously you wind up with everything looking and feeling like it's more or less the same size. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So?

The Tv show has the excuse of using multiple models for a single ship, having a hundred or so people working on it at a given time, and a need for spectacle when it otherwise wouldn't make sense. (See the B'rel problem)

The problem with that, is when you try to do that with a video game, and you want to make everything look big and impressive, hilariously you wind up with everything looking and feeling like it's more or less the same size. :rolleyes:

My point: The TV show did what it did so stuff looked good (and viewable) to the audience. STO (if's it's true to the IP - also has a responsibility to do the same thing -- make stuff look good and viewable to the playerbase playing the game so it looks similar to what they recall when watching a Star Trek episode.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They even have fighter BoPs, which im sure aren't equal in size to the ones you fly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013

i am aware of that, but that was TV...
    and only because somebody else screwed up, it is not ok for the next guy to TRIBBLE up because of that.

if there is an approved scale then that is what should be used.

that Dominion "Planetary Assault Vessel".... lol same model as the Dreadnought just scaled up... and where did that thing come from anyway?

(not sure what a link to that old fan-made scale reference is supposed to tell me though)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's still the largest playable ship to date by a not insignificant margin.
    I disagree. I believe the cat carrier is still larger by a considerable margin. I was all excited at the size of the JH carrier... until a cat carrier popped up next to me. Then I spawned a couple JHAS pets and it was like.. ohhhh.

I think they could have went bigger with this ship but eh I'm about used to coulda done this or that business in STO. If there was ever a time to max the game's limits, this dread carrier was it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    i think they just didn't want to dwarf the Odyssey and Bortas'qu in comparison to it
    or maybe that is just the *biggest* they want to go with ships in the Engine, who knows.

what i don't get is, why put the Dreadnought in the LockBox instead of the Warship, which would feel right at home at that size and be proper scale.
    Keep the dreadnought as NPC only ship and scale it up to how the Tholian Dreadnought is scaled... size should not be a problem then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    i think they just didn't want to dwarf the Odyssey and Bortas'qu in comparison to it
    or maybe that is just the *biggest* they want to go with ships in the Engine, who knows.

what i don't get is, why put the Dreadnought in the LockBox instead of the Warship, which would feel right at home at that size and be proper scale.
    Keep the dreadnought as NPC only ship and scale it up to how the Tholian Dreadnought is scaled... size should not be a problem then.

I would have liked that solution. But as implemented we did get both the warship and the battleship so even if the scale is off, I'll take two ships over one.