test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[REQUEST] 2nd "Personal" Inventory

picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Controls and User Interface
Hello. What I would like to see implemented is a second inventory window. It could be named simply "Personal" or maybe "Cargo Hold" or Captain's Stash", etc.

The purpose of this would be a place for a character to actually place all the items he wants to have on him at all times. His pet, alternate ship equipment, and so on. These items would not show up on the sell list at vendors.

Even though I try to keep my inventory cleaned out, I am very frequently getting cluttered up with all the sell loot I pick up. It makes finding the items I carry on a regular basis a pain and when I go to sell I have to be extra careful.

Since inventory slots are sold in the C-store I suggest this be an option when buying more inventory slots. I don't use all the ones I have now because it gets cluttered too easily. I would happily pay 500 zen for an extra tab on my inventory window with this "Stash" and say, 30-40 slots (perhaps also expandable).

Thanks.
Post edited by picardtheiii on

Comments

• ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to second this idea, was going to make a new post with my idea, but it's merely an alternative to this.

My suggestion was going to be, some kind of way of splitting the inventory, in my mind I had imagined a slider, designed to allow you to decide where to split your inventory, for the same purposes, to keep the stuff you want to keep on you, separate from loot.

Personally I keep most of my items, that I want to keep on me at the bottom of my inventory, but with the addition of the sort button, I often find my 'keepsies' getting mixed up with the random loot I pick up, I don't know how many time's I've have to retrieve things from recycle because I was clicking too quickly.

I prefer the OPs idea, a separate inventory, away from the main inventory for pets, neural processors, lock boxes, lobi crystals etc, i also carry both adapted and standard M.A.C.O shields. Just somewhere to keep them safe, away from silly mistakes but still available on the move.

Thanks.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • necro03necro03 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In case Cryptic is reluctant to give us more inventory space a "Lock Item" Option would be nice, locked items won't show up in the sell list and are not moved when using sort
  • redsoniavrelredsoniavrel Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I can't say this has ever been a problem for me. I do, however, want to give a massive +1 to the OP's siganture :P
  • rosvikrosvik Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree with the OP's idea.

I was also thinking about having a very small inventory window for your bridge officers. This would be to make it easy to have a few different kinds of personal shields and body armor easily available for each BO. Right now, if you want to experiment with different armor / shield types with your BO's, you have to carry all the equipment in your characters inventory.

Perhaps each BO armor and shield slot could be expanded to hold up to three sets, and all the player has to do is select the one the player wants to be active.

It would be handy for the player characters as well. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
    Ancient Vulcan proverb: "If you are what you eat, then 'Jerk' must be a very popular food on Earth"
    edited January 2013
    necro03 wrote: »
    In case Cryptic is reluctant to give us more inventory space a "Lock Item" Option would be nice, locked items won't show up in the sell list and are not moved when using sort

This i also like, could either be a drop down from the existing menu, or say double right click on it to lock it.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    IIRC on the Doff screen there is a somewhat underutilized listing for Cargo. Should not consoles and spare hardpoint equipment be neatly packed away in the ship's cargo hold while other items can remain in general inventory or be moved back and forth as the OP suggested? This would alleviate the need for further splitting up the inventory screen while allowing Cryptic sell additional cargo space in the store much like they do with inventory and bank space.

*pokes Cryptic* A solution to the problem that also makes you money. What's not to love?
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I rather like the other user's Slider idea. If that were implemented then the number of inventory slots a user would have could stay the same as it is now (alleviating Cryptic's worries about giving us jumbo storage space) and they could simply designate how many rows should be dedicated to a 'loot bag' and how much to a 'safe zone' where items aren't affected by the sort button or show up in vendor sell screens.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited February 2013
    Would be nice to know from devs if there is anything like this in the pipe line.

Has it been discussed before and discarded.
  • br3akingforcebr3akingforce Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    so...what is hurt by giving players lots of storage? can't a huge storage area be explained away by like...stuff held in replicator memory? or something? iunno. i can understand a limit on what you can carry with you, but i don't know what purpose is served by having a limit on what you can own. EVE station hangars are unlimited space, and that hurts nothing.
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They put more items in the game and expect people to buy them and store them in...... ?
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It hurts the servers to give everyone more item space.

You can give more server upgrades but it really needs also streamlining of code. And even after all that, eventually you'll just hit another hardware capacity as STO grows larger.

In other words, stop hoarding. My bank is full of unique items and some lockboxes, but nothing else, and I still have 8 slots out of the standard number empty, with my standard-sized inventory is almost completely vacant.:P

I do this by using my boffs and ships as additional storage space for gear.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    realy great idea, will love it, just make it completly new tab (you will simply chose between investory/asset/stash (or how to call it).
    You will have here just one line fos stuff - if you will more, you simply need to buy it :).
    I hope they will implement it. And if not, spam until they do :o.