Install Arc
Options

Making certain parts of open space... dangerous

2»

Comments

• Options
    romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I suppose you could just accept EVERY foundry mission... The Foundry.... Making your ideas Perfect Worlds profit...

Have to agree with OP. Other than a few borg stf's and a few romulan mark missions there isnt actually much to do other than play foundry missions... But the thing is a lot of foundry creators are thinking too much like a book.... Noone wants to read for hours on end. We wantaction. And u expected action is great. So why not incorporate the two and have roving fou dry missions... Instead of clicking the plant in the admjrals office or his blue fish... Have them appear in a random area of space... Have the missions appear out of nowhere. Player voted missions that are popular... Does this make any sense at all?
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    I get the feeling that the OP is suggesting something vaguely similar to EVE Online's security rating. I.E Sirrius would be high security rated whilst the neutral zone between the UFP and KDF or the more distant parts of space would be more dangerous and present more encounters/missions. Would be cool if you had a symbol like the RA encounters pop up and take you to your interior or a space map. So they remain optional but are there for people to do if they wish.

I think it's me you were thinking of. I haven't played EVE personally, but I've read about that system, and yes basically something like that. It could even be later tied into the hypothetical territory control mechanic that occasionally gets brought up.

I also like the idea of tying it to the difficulty slider. Normal it's always opt out. Advanced has a chance of just getting ganked and pulled into a fight whether you like or not, and Elite a higher chance. You'd have to, at minimum, escape weapon range and get out of red alert status so you could warp out. Though, Battle Cloak would give the KDF a cheap way out, but hey the KDF deserves some advantage.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    captainlimcaptainlim Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    As part of my shipboard interior proposal (see sig), I suggested something similar (tentatively dubbed "shipboard mysteries) - the idea being that these random missions occur only when visiting one's ship interior.

This eliminates the issue regarding lower-level players being waylaid in sector space by these "encounters" under the old system, whilst allowing a certain amount of randomness/surprise in a "controlled" environment.

Of course, these "encounters" would be skippable, and then players would simply miss out on the rewards.

Possible ideas for events triggered by entering ship interiors:

- A member of an unaligned species wishes to seek asylum. Once they arrive, mysterious malfunctions begin to happen, cumulating to deliberate sabotage, off-screen dialogue-only injury of a BOff or a death of a redshirt. Suspicions fall on the asylum seeker.

- A alien civilian seeks help in repairing his ship. While this is happening, representatives from two feuding governments appear, claim the alien as a notorious criminal, and demand that he/she be handed over to their respective side(s) (TNG: The Outrageous Okona)

- (Galaxy Class exclusive) One of the children accidentally wandered into sickbay / a medical lab and becomes infected with a pathogen. The crew must contain the infection before it overwhelms everyone and potentially spreads to other ships or planets.

- Security detects a transporter signature in various locations throughout the ship (opens a window to allow players to opt into PvE/PvP Boarding Action STFs)

- All is not all work and no play - two crewmembers getting married to each other ask you as the captain to officiate the wedding. (Very rare mission, rewards very large boost in Development CXP)

- A subspace anomaly / Negative Space Wedgie wreaks havoc with shipboard systems.

- A distress call is received from a Starfleet or KDF vessel (cross-faction available). You lead an away team to the ship, and discover the crew dead / incapacitated / struggling with a serious shipboard malfunction.

- A variant of the First Contact mission Jiro Sugihara gives you: Whilst travelling at warp, your ship encounters a never-seen-before alien vessel. One things leads to another, and next thing you know, both the Federation Diplomatic Corps and the alien government authorize you and your alien counterpart to initiate formal First Contact procedures.

- A crewman in found dead in his/her quarters or at his/her post. Determine the guilt of three or four suspects - possible outcomes include all innocent (terrible accident), all guilty of conspiring to murder this individual, one or more guilty of conspiracy, or merely negligence leading to death of victim.

- (Intrepid Class exclusive) A subspace anomaly / Negative Space Wedgie knocks your ship off-course into uncharted space - find a way back home (outcome is always successful, rewards based on the player's skill in dealing with the situation).

Thoughts? Ideas?

Well, it could make ship interior into good use, but cryptic needs to make this work without breaking the game. I gotta admit, this is a great idea. Ship Interiors seems useless unless put trophies and do Doffs missions. Crypitic should make Ship Interiors useful to all players