test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FED or KDF , why?

plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
When I first came into the game I knew immediately what I want to be in the game, a Federation officer.
My friends who have been in the game longer than me was on Klingon Empire side , they offered me help to level up and in-game equipment but I refused for one reason ... I do not like KDF faction.

Why did i pick up FED over KDF is easy...I watch every single ST show and movie that came out and from that time i wanted to became starfleet captain , to present federation in PvE and PvP combat.

Why i didnt chose KDF is easy again...lots of people would say lack of content but that isnt it because if you love something you will play it regardless of content that this faction have.
I didnt chose them because of false honor , i do not see honor in enslaving weak and small , killing helpless and attacking peacefull races/aliances.
One of last klingons that know what true honor is was Worf , damn i love that guy:D.

This is my story why i did chose FED over KDF in STO , and why i still play with my fed captain character over 1 year :) .

I would like to know why did you chose FED or KDF side in STO..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by plox21 on

Comments

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    When I started playing, I didn't have the option to start as a Klingon (unlock at level 20 / 25 whatever it is). I obviously then started with a Federation character (an Andorian to be precise). Since my joining (a year today if F2P went live a year ago today) I have had several FED characters, and several KDF characters.

I prefer playing as a FED character, and the reasons are quite simple; there is more for them to do, and there is more of a variety. I've currently got four toons; two of them are old (one FED, one KDF) and the other two are a week old (again, one of each). There is enough variety between my FED toons (missions, ships and clothes) that I can make use of them. My secondary KDF toon is lacking though. With limited clothing selection and not much to do, I find myself always going back to my FED toons. I hardly play my primary KDF toon either (I get the datachip and dilithium daily, but then jump back).

It's a shame, cause I'd like to play more KDF but I just can't get into it. For me, ships aren't a problem, it's the clothes and hair that puts me off playing; it's far too limited. Thus, until more variants are added (in addition to other KDF-playable races) I'll be primarily on my FED accounts.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I like them both, but visuals and large ship selections tend to favor the federation side mainly because i think more people like playing that particular faction, but this is just my opinion.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    cdrgadleycdrgadley Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I play FED because I play my character as myself...just in the Star Trek setting.
    edited January 2013
    I play both. I think i actually enjoy KDF more atm because they dont realy have a massive uniform code. And the fed players usually dont look anything like Federation captains. It annoys me deeply, especially with all those episodes about pride in the uniform, what it stands for. And now they just throw it out the window and you have people running around in frikkin whatever....

That said, i do like my Fed toon alot aswell. As long as i dont look to much at other players. :)
  • Options
    bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    I have both Fed and KDF characters, but I tend to play one of my Feds more than anything else. Why? Because she flies a variation of my favourite ship out of any Trek series - the Defiant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am a fan of the Klingons. Such a shame the KDF is poorly done in STO as to offer little story missions that ties them into the game.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wanted to play a Starfleet officer at the begining. It's still my main char and i enjoy it. But a few hours after installing the game, I knew it looked like star trek, I knew it reminded me star trek but it wasn't star trek.

Whatever your faction is, you'll end up blowing up ships, exterminating new life, and nuking new civilizations, and the KDF toys are designed for that. Consequently, i also have a KDF main char and i enjoy playing everyone.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I like KDF more because they are more honest in their politics and you have more freedom to just do your thing. You aren't part of a highly structured, bureaucratic military institution, and your background can be just about anything.

The Federation is a commie hippie-spouting lotus-eating bunch of duplicitous passion-haters, benevolently permitting religion and traditions so long as they are kept in a small colorful box. They are the ultimate iconified 'dam librul' writ large, while at the same time you never really see, you know, anyone who is TRIBBLE or TRIBBLE.
    In other words, WASP middle-aged liberalism.

Feh.

KDF eats the red meat.

I like Fed more because Cryptic likes Fed more, so they get all the toys and content. And sometimes it gets tiring being in the pit. It's nice having more Foundry content, more story content, stories written in your voice (rather than Fed content scribbled over with red marker), having fleets that have half a chance of seeing later tiers, of having issues dealt with, etc.

I like the ability to wear a diverse range of clothes, even if they make more sense on KDF (who don't get them) than a Starfleet captain.

Really, if it were up to me, I'd thumb my nose at both and play a mercenary freelancer. But that's not an option.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I primarily play Fed because I've never really fantasized about being a Klingon.

I also play KDF on occasion because I do sometimes fantasize about being a Pirate (because Pirates are cool), and since the KDF includes Orions and Nausicaans there is room for that sort of character there.

Ironically, I'm slightly more comfortable with my KDF toon than my Fed one, because I never wanted to play the kind of characters who would ever make Admiral; while 'Brigadier General' sounds like the sort of flashy title that a Pirate might gleefully adopt.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I said a long time ago (and it would be hard to do now) that I would have treated factions in STO like classes are in fantasy games.

In WoW, for example, Warriors, Paladins, Hunters, and Warlocks all have different side quests although the main quests are shared across class (and across faction, for that matter). They all have multiple role choices within a class.

But I'd have looked at Starfleet as "Paladins", Romulans as "Rogues", Klingons as "Warriors", Dominion as "Druids", etc. The story would be one where all players cooperate. The situations would not be contingent on what your faction is for the most part but would have flavor assignments. No teaming restrictions although perhaps dualing/PvP options keying off faction/class. Raiding would encourage mosaic groups with a minimum of faction repetition (which actually makes an all-Captain team make more sense).

The missions would just assume that you're a fairly heroic captain out roaming the galaxy, with side options for espionage and mischief and meaningful faction mechanics/traits.

So Klingons would get a lot of the difference in gameplay from:

- Unique traits.
    - 5-10 unique missions. (Conversely, Starfleet would have 5-10 unique missions too. Most would be faction neutral. And you don't receive the general missions from commanding officers so they wouldn't feel like reskinned Fed missions.)
    - Radically distinct skill tree and ground mechanics. Dominion for example might be all about Jem'Hadar pet management. Klingons might be all rifles/pistols/blades while Feds might be all sniper rifles/hand weapons/martial arts. Different resources. Different control schemes.
    - No overlapping kits between factions, except as special rewards.

So in this setup: Klingon is a class. Romulan is a class. The major powers are all friendly aside from corrupt elements and the ideal team may have little or no overlap. Fed is more of a tanking/healing dynamic whereas pure DPS is the domain of other powers, providing incentive to roll other powers.

Work with the Feds enough and you might get access to Fed costumes as a Klingon warrior or Romulan assassin.

I can tell you right now that people would say that they wouldn't like it. Someone in this thread will probably say that. But I think it would function as an expandable game ecosystem better.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Kdf
    1) because I love Star Trek, if I play kdf I can pretend that starfleet in game is like star fleet in the ip. If I play starfleet I will be committing genocide and looting corpses. That int star trek. If I play kdf I can pretend that starfleet is doing what is best
    2) in a war, given the choice: play on the side that is going to win. The Feds would lose this conflict in real life
    3) fed ships all look like ducks and they all suck (except the oddy)
    4) playing the kdf is cheaper zen wise because cryptic doesn't want your money
    5) marauding
    6) prisoners
    7) contraband

In fact, the only reason to not play the kdf is because your imagination has rotten to such and extent that you can't imagine the universe outside of starfleet
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    garakfan84garakfan84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    KDF! :D Ever since I started playing them I love them mainly because of these two reasons already said:
    plox21 wrote: »
    (...) ...lots of people would say lack of content but that isnt it because if you love something you will play it regardless of content that this faction have.
    zahinder wrote: »
    I like KDF more because they are more honest in their politics and you have more freedom to just do your thing. You aren't part of a highly structured, bureaucratic military institution, and your background can be just about anything.

I can't explain it really... I recently made a FED toon to get the FE's rewards on her and it was such a pain to level because I just wanted to get back on my KDF.

I don't really care much if that the Blue side gets everything, when to me I prefer quality over quantity and I love the missions the KDF get (faction specific). I've grown to love being in this side that when the FEDs get something new I don't feel the need to go and purchase the new toy -- I'd rather save up for when the KDF gets something, if we do, but it will feel more fulfilling.

We lack in so much stuff but still, I can't help myself to stay in this side everytime. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    In fact, the only reason to not play the kdf is because your imagination has rotten to such and extent that you can't imagine the universe outside of starfleet

Was there a need for this absurd comment?
    edited January 2013
    FED, because the KDF is in a beta stage, and is currently a joke. Besides, i don like klingons, and the ppl beliving that only ''pro'' players play the KDF side make me like them even less.
    Bastet
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    cdrgadley wrote: »
    Was there a need for this absurd comment?

Comments are neither absurd or not. They are neutral. It is how you interpret them that makes them absurd or not.
    The electron was absurd when it was discovered.
    Some people cannot conceive of anything beyond the federation. What else would that be called?
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Comments are neither absurd or not. They are neutral. It is how you interpret them that makes them absurd or not.
    The electron was absurd when it was discovered.
    Some people cannot conceive of anything beyond the federation. What else would that be called?

Absurd: utterly or obviously senseless, illogical, or untrue; contrary to all reason or common sense; laughably foolish or false

Your comment below definitely fits that description.
    edited January 2013
    plox21 wrote: »
    ...lots of people would say lack of content but that isnt it because if you love something you will play it regardless of content that this faction have.

Baloney. Lack of content is exactly why I don't spend that much time on the KDF side.

I have a plethora of characters, including some KDF characters. They don't see nearly as much play because of the lack of content. Flesh out the storyline to match the Federation, and I'll definitely spend more time with my KDF characters.

I'm not a robot; I will not play a given faction regardless of how much content it has. It's not about "love", it's about enjoyment. I would enjoy playing Klingon content as well, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on a character that doesn't have much of the kind of content I enjoy. PvP is not my forte. I enjoy immersive missions, episodes, and storylines.

The Foundry is beginning to help fill the holes for the Klingons, but it has a long way to go.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    cdrgadley wrote: »
    Absurd: utterly or obviously senseless, illogical, or untrue; contrary to all reason or common sense; laughably foolish or false

Your comment below definitely fits that description.

I am pretty sure you are incorrect on this matter
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Remember, squeaky wheel.

Just because some KDF fans sound like outrageously insane prats doesn't mean all of them are (likewise Fed fans).

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    KDF, I only think about my Fed toons afterwards, and even then I mostly play as a Ferengi.

It wasn't long after I started playing that I got real tired of the Fed three step process:
    1. Conquer
    2. Sanitize
    3. Homogenize

And this was back in the days when you could only level up by hitting PvP and the explore X sector three times for almost no points. There were restrictions on missions, restrictions on ships, and restrictions on sectors.

...come think about it, not much has changed in the last 3 years.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    KDF, because I love Orion Slave Girls and I love the Orion Ships. I do wish that the game treated the Orions and other KDF species as more then shades of Klingon, and I wish they had a bridge for the Orion Ships, the interior doesn't fit the FDCs at all. The interior of an Orion FDC should look like a Pleasure Palace, not the cold, hard, and overly red glare of a Klingon Bridge. And there is three Orion FDCs, 5 if you count the Corsair Retrofit and Fleet Corsair. One Orion Bridge could work for them all.

I do agree the by my rl values the Klingon Species is one of discusting hypocrits (not talking players, but in universe fluff).

They murder, steal, Conquer, eat still living creatures, talk about honor, but never exhibit it, instead using the idea to justify thier pride and barbarity.

I prefer to see it as I play the Orion Subfaction, that's allied with the Klingons.

Susher my KDF Character isn't obsessed with honour, although when dealing with Klingons he's not above keeping up appearences, especially with a suppior officer, he doesn't believe in any Klingon Religions.

He's more interested in saving his race from extinction and raising it back to glory, raiding enemy ships to add new slaves to the ship's Brothel, and he worships the Beings (ancient earth Gods like Apollo that Kirk met) because he knows they exist, abit he sees them more in Orion form then human, although he's studied them from the cultures of multiple species. He's from a male minority that has developed more powerful pheromones like many females.

My bridge officers are all Orion Slave girls, except my Giant Gorn enforcer, and an alien Slave Girl.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I play mostly Fed, but Klingon gameplay feels a lot more like Star Trek.

I mean, in this game, federation officers are going onto Romulan space stations and murdering everyone in site, destroying thousands of ships from dozens of races, et cetera. That does not feel like Star Trek.

On the other hand, sneaking up behind an unsuspecting Federation ship in Ker'rat and unloading disruptors and photon torpedoes does feel like Star Trek.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am more comfortable with the Fed side because I found that while the Foundry might be an exception with certain missions, the KDF missions did not allow me to play as the type of warrior I wanted to play my character as.

On the KDF side I play a Nausicaan who, contrary to stereotypes, was intended to be something of a knight or samurai (the idealized version of both, anyway), who cares quite a lot about honor and is disgusted by the political infighting among both the Klingons, and the clans of his own people, not to mention some of the really disgusting things they think it's OK to do or that they choose to ignore. In some ways Krantak resembles the version of General Chang that you see in the Klingon Academy game: philosophical, restrained (i.e. not being the kind of idiot who thinks getting beaten in dom-jot is a reason to kill someone, or firing at everything that moves when it is not the smartest idea to do so), but still formidable in combat. Nor does one get to wear revealing clothing on his ship or while representing his crew: if you're too vain to wear clothing suited for the rigors of combat and shipboard dangers, then you're not smart enough or worthy enough to fight alongside him.

I ran into a problem with that almost right away when I played through the Fed war series and my character was boxed into a position where he HAD to torture a Federation captain. No option for an duel to win the right to the information or at least give the man an honorable death on his feet with a weapon in his hand. And then there are the DOFF assignments. Frankly, KDF or not, he would NOT do a lot of that stuff because it does not conform with the strict rules by which he sees honor. That was when I decided that, for the most part, my KDF toon is pretty much going to have to be for dilithium farming unless there are Foundry missions that allow me to play Krantak as Krantak and not as a stereotypical Klingon or Nausicaan. I cannot get into character and immerse myself in the game as I can with my Feds.

On the Fed side...believe me, I understand what Zahinder is saying about Fed hypocrisy, and I had a lot of fun taking shots at that aspect of the Feds in "Finding Lascaux." That said, I do also like that in STO the Federation has militarized in a way we never saw on the show...and that the Dominion War showed it needed to lest it continue to recklessly throw away the lives of its people in the name of maintaining some image of being peaceful. I am still able to better immerse myself into the characters of my officers. They have some unusual biographies (a Cardassian exchange officer, a Caitian, and a Devidian raised by humans who must present himself as human), which allow them to have "offbeat" perspectives of Starfleet and the Federation, but I feel like I do have room to let them be them (especially in the Foundry) and not get boxed into unconscionable things.

Well...most of the time. "Divide et Impera" really TRIBBLE me off, about as bad as the KDF torture mission, but fortunately that was a rare exception on the Fed side, rather than having fully two thirds of the DOFF assignments and who knows how many of the episodes being unconscionable.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Both.

Why limit myself?
  • Options
    vyktorivyktori Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If I had to restart and could only pick one character, Fed.

Why? Because this game decides to blend them all together anyway. KDF had Honor Guard, yay torp damage. Now Fed gets the same thing. KDF get carriers. Jk lol +Atrox/Armitage/Vesta.

Why play on the side with way less players when they are basically the same? That's just my thoughts. I do wish they would make some faction based STF missions or something. Give people more of a reason to be one or the other. I think I've been on the KDF side more lately though, mostly due to nothing else to do.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Prat? Hardly. Im a sometimes bitter KDF elitist but thats what works for me.
    One should play what one enjoys.
    Now if they would just flesh out the KDF to make it enjoyable past a few days....
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Both. ;)............
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Prat? Hardly. Im a sometimes bitter KDF elitist but thats what works for me.
    One should play what one enjoys.
    Now if they would just flesh out the KDF to make it enjoyable past a few days....

Wasn't talking about you. ;)

• Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I play both because for the ten missions the KDF get to themselves are mostly entertaining. But that passes quickly and I'm stuck with a lvl 50 warrior with little to do but the contraband farming he's so good at.

My Feds have a lot to do, and I can set specific leveling tasks for them. Eng for Foundry, Tac for patrols, and Sci exploration. I've done the mission content enough now that I only use them to level up when I'm sick of seeing the same tiny ship all the time.
    <3