test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm against a raise in the level cap!

twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
Because my powers tray is already full and I've had to get rid of a couple if things to get the useful stuff in there. Ten more level is jus more powers to jam in there!

I mean, sure, no one uses abandon ship. But the bottom of my screen is really cluttered and all them small buttons can get confusing to parse with bad eyes after a while.

"Shields! D'oh! That was Polarize Hull!"

It can happen to you...
<3
Post edited by twg042370 on

Comments

• Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am for it, unless it comes with a new tier of ships, then I am strongly against it.

Some players have spent thousands of dollars on ships and should not be forced to pay more money.

I will be carefully watching how they handle this.
  • Options
    k022#6452 k022 Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am for it, unless it comes with a new tier of ships, then I am strongly against it.

Some players have spent thousands of dollars on ships and should not be forced to pay more money.

Or they could give us free ships...:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Ehn, all they need is some slightly gimped version of the VA ships for free. Any new ships will be in a Lobi or Fleet store regardless so it won't be much different than it is now.
    <3
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Why not just add your vertical power bar and move non-essential powers there? ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Why not just add your vertical power bar and move non-essential powers there? ;)

1. Where could I put it? (I already told myself the joke) The sides are cluttered as well.

2. There's a vertical power bar?!
    <3
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    1. Where could I put it? (I already told myself the joke) The sides are cluttered as well.

2. There's a vertical power bar?!

If I remember correctly, go to Re-arange UI, and on the floating power bar there is a button add? or something to make the vertical one visible.

Also there is a UI revamp in progress, so that might solve a few issues (and I am sure add some back :P)
  • Options
    admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    open the rearrange HUD screen and click "MORE" on the big power tray box

Edit/ Jumped by an Australian Ninja
  • Options
    walkincrowwalkincrow Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    From my standpoint it makes no sense for the player.

Almost all of the content is super easy, adding more powers/skill points will just water the difficulty down further.

In all likelihood it would also lead to whole new tiers of ships, consoles, ground equipment, etc. for Cryptic to make money off of. This doesn't really appeal to me and I would feel compelled to refit most of my characters if I continued to play.

Sounds like it's gonna happen, so I'll just hope for the best.

The one thing that did sound interesting, is the possibility of getting to crew up our old ships and sending them out on missions, like a real Admiral.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There would be no problem with action bars if you could have all of them open and be able to arrange them anyway you like, as well as keybind to any of those rows. As it is you get 6 maximum of the 10 available and you are stuck with their size and orientation. and can only keybind to the first 4 rows (only 3 on the ground), it doesn't help that even though you could bind to 11 positions per row, you can only see or access 10 through the in-game options, getting at the others requires editing .txt files manually which is not for the faint of heart.
    Mode 4 is less than useless on the action bar it actually reduces available action bar space rather than expands it
    The Boff skillbar and ship weapons and shields controls should be able to be keybound independently, not shared with those of the action bar.
    In the end it isn't a level cap that's needed, it's a revamp of the user GUI.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    verulerveruler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it would be the same thing as when they raised it before.. It took people no time to rank up.. I agree with the no new ships... but then again.. i agree it will be a lobi purchase ! LOL
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am all for a level cap increase provided endgame is fundamentally changed. We are supposed to be Admirals so we should be doing Admiral activities. Commanding fleets, directing ships to do various activities, and directing various organizations to do various goals are some of the duties of an Admiral.
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm for a level cap raise but it shouldn't be Admiral. They should add some inbetween ranks and fill the gaps with alien ships. Maybe more Caitian and Vulcan models.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok, I am a little confused here. Where did they ever say they were raising the Level cap other then to say it is "In the plans". Too my knowledge, it has only ever been stated as a long term goal as in "If we ever did it, it would be for Full Admiral rank"

Some of these comments make it sound like this is in the works for Season 8? Where is everyone getting this information, cause either everyone is WAY jumping the gun here, or I missed something.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm not necessarily against a raise in level cap, nor am I necessarily against a new tier of ships...

But I would detest a raise of Mark in gear. I have spent millions buying Mark XII gear and so have lots of other players. Could you imagine all your Very Rare Mark XII's becoming obsolete overnight? Or the resulting crash on the Exchange?

Tears of Grief. That's what would happen.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok, I am a little confused here. Where did they ever say they were raising the Level cap other then to say it is "In the plans". Too my knowledge, it has only ever been stated as a long term goal as in "If we ever did it, it would be for Full Admiral rank"

Some of these comments make it sound like this is in the works for Season 8? Where is everyone getting this information, cause either everyone is WAY jumping the gun here, or I missed something.

From this month's Ask Cryptic
    Q: (larsh1) Will there be anything to make use of our ships in Spacedock? I have a whole fleet of unused craft now since I only play with a select 3. I would enjoy being able to send these ships on doff missions, or have them as extra help on missions.

Dstahl: We are looking at some future designs for the DOFF system that may be quite similar to what you are suggesting. In general, we want Admiral level players to make good use of the ships they have in space dock and send them out on missions. Expect more discussion about this later in 2013.
    Q: (h00tgibson) It?s easier to get MACO or Omega gear now. What are the chances of seeing legendary or epic items in STO in the future, very rare and loot-only?

Dstahl: We plan to increase the level cap in the future so that captains will be able to obtain the Full Admiral Rank. As part of that change, we will be introducing a new tier of gear, along with new very rare and ultra-rare items that are loot only. That said, we are going to be releasing more Reputations with new gear associated with them as well, but we understand that some players still want to get lucky and find that very rare item that no one else has found yet. We won?t lose sight of that as we move up in Ranks.

While it might be possible that a level cap will be in Season 9, there is no way that there will be a level cap to Admiral in Season 8. The assumption is that Admiral is at level 60 and it is possible there is a minor level cap to level 55 in Season 8. Most likely, 2014 or later is when we will get access to Admiral content not this year.
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Being able to be a Admiral would be good but don't like the idea of making so much stuff become obsolete with it. I think becoming admiral should unlock new missions and abilities with some new Mk XII gear as well as new costumes and pets.

The new missions should reflect the side that plays them. Federation having diplomatic and exploration missions with no combat involved. Klingons having missions combat oriented would be fine. Would be nice to have a mission or two specific to a science officer a engineer and a tactical officer. Having a couple new missions against the Borg as well would be welcome.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd be happy with more Borg missions if the frequency modulators weren't so useless.
    <3
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Raising the level cap is good for players that cannot set themselves goals in the game. So they can level up again, but after that? Raising the level cap again.

The game and the character feels pretty balanced to me. I don't need more skills, more talent points to become a jack-of-all-trades AND master of all. Less is more at some point.

Becoming an admiral and commanding a group of ships, a task force, is a nice and welcome feuture, but it can be achieved after a line of missions, and or a small reputation system. There is no need to add levels for that.

The game could be expanded with different career options, task force fleet admiral is one, but a section 31 official would also be nice. Take my Orion raider that calls himself a business man. There is lots of endgame possibilities here.

They also could add new low level content especially to make a different level path for the classes. So that leveling another class actually lets you play in another way. The problem, I see, with all MMO'S is the fact that there are different classes, but they all have to be pushed through the same game content, which makes the point of having different classes rather moot.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I like it. Level 50 - 60 is you becoming a Super Sayan Officer.

Tacs could just punch everything. Eng builds mechs. Sci points its sonic screwdriver.

Do it Cryptic!
    <3
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I always suspected that a new level cap would just further buff the skills we already have. I don't expect to see ships that offer more Boff stations, magical MKXIII gear or new abilities at all.

Currently the average Vice Admiral or Lieutenant General is plenty powerful enough as it is, and I don't see a need to make us any stronger. Doing so would just make the game too easy for it to be entertaining.

The only way I can see this working is similar to the Romulan rep system. As you level up new Admiral/General content is made available to you, like dailies or some mini episodes that have you commanding a fleet or some task befitting of the rank.
  • Options
    mercurythefirstmercurythefirst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I excpect to see higher ranks of BOFF. That's it. A new tier of BOFF abilities.

That would be enough.

A new tier of ship is welcome though.

MK XIII+ gear is not. However, if Cryptic get us a "refinement" system to upgrade the grade of items from common -> uncommon -> Rare -> Very Rare -> The new grade of "ultra rare", then I accept the new grade of "ultra rare".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bloodpact.net

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

-Michelangelo
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If they keep the current system of itemization, endgame difficulty and speed of leveling, it really wouldn't make any sense.

Raising Levelcaps in MMO is usually being done to reset progression and give players something to do for a few months to re-earn pvp-ranks, equipment, level profession skills etc...

So if they implement it, there should be a huge jump in equipment requirements between lvl50 and lvlXX content, so that everyone had to start at 0 again. Otherwise they could just leave it at the current levelcap and just add more STFs and reputation factions.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As others have stated, the Mk XII has been the peak of gear for a while, and people have spent a long time and a lot of assets (in game and real world) in getting this stuff. A simple, "oh, your gear sucks, go Rep the Mk XIV" would be an absolute disaster. But if there were some upgrade system, to bring your existing gear up to the Admiral standards, then I would have no problem at all.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As others have stated, the Mk XII has been the peak of gear for a while, and people have spent a long time and a lot of assets (in game and real world) in getting this stuff. A simple, "oh, your gear sucks, go Rep the Mk XIV" would be an absolute disaster. But if there were some upgrade system, to bring your existing gear up to the Admiral standards, then I would have no problem at all.

Do you honestly trust Cryptic to do that without completely and utterly TRIBBLE over every player?
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd split the difference and just increase the skill point cap a bit. My reasoning is purely selfish, because I was just a few thousand points away from maxing out my preferred build. What I'm not after is such an absurd cap raise that it allows everyone to max out everything, further nullifying the distinction between career types.

Oh, and raising the Bridge Officer rank/skill cap would be most welcome.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree, I dont think they should increase the cap. And if they do and dont make my Z-Store VA ships the new max lvl..... -_- I will be pissed.....
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It would take some serious restructuring of the game in order to implement an increase in the level cap. So I doubt it'll be happening any-time Soon(tm)

And if I wanted to fly a task force of npc ships. I'd dust it off and go and play Armada. Well all know that the NPC AI is not up to par so what would be the point? Yes it sounds cool, but I just don't see it working.

+1 signed