test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (January 10, 2013)

Comments

• ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would guess they haven't been back long and they're doing the easy things first - the kdf doff job is probably largely just a database call / rng function (If trait exist = x, success increase = y) and they just have to fill in x. Same goes for Mountain Pass, just change the geometric co-ordinates for those groups.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The extra time for the patch is probally stealth nerfs to all the plasma torps flying around LOL... Keep it stealthy to keep the ears-a-healthy :D
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The team just got back into the swing of things on Monday, so it's understandable since this just went to Tribble yesterday :)

Well that's understandable. But the holidays are over, so it's back to the grindstones with ye!! :P:D
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While I understand they coming off vacation, but don't see the CTD issue on Qo'nos being fixed. I really hope it's next patch, because I am tired of CTDing every time I enter the First City.
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While I understand they feel the need to fix the Transporter Doff bug it did make the game more fun.

Everyone I've spoken to prefers the shorter cooldowns on all skills. Just generally makes the game more interactive and fun.

I second this.... it IS a lot more fun!!
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Sure, but i hope they fixed some crashing issues on new romulus if it has to last 4h "only". :P

Fixing the crashing issues..... or the Exchange Search issue.... or .... well, none of the major bugs are on the fix list for this patch.... But then again, those major bugs have been around for months.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,170 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Size of the Game not the patch

And they may be doing other maintenance stuff too like servers etc etc that don't require patch notes.
  • torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You should stop complaining about the duration of maintenance. Do you know if there is a major optimization/update to the database?
    Just imagine you would log in after the patch and all your hypos are gone, instead of them you've got a full MACO/KHG adapted ground-/space-set, or you would have got 100k more refined Dilithium... That would cause massive problems, since hypos don't drop from every enemy you defeat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    4 hours for 5 seemingly minor changes? The patch file couldn't possibly be more than a kilobyte. :S
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    eazzie wrote: »
    And they may be doing other maintenance stuff too like servers etc etc that don't require patch notes.

all this maintenace wow they must have a poorly run server and team :rolleyes:
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cheers for the ground doff fix. I find it a major issue, others did not seem to care. but when something gives bad players a 1000 dps bonus, that it shouldnt its an issue (especially I have seen what good players got out of that exploit, lol)

I mean I could live with it as if it was a pay to win feature :D

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    all this maintenace wow they must have a poorly run server and team :rolleyes:

Or an excellent one who knows what they're doing.

Seriously, MMO servers get hit harder than people think, with exception to maintinence and even through some of that if patches are applied they're on 24/7, they always have active users and have to make billions of caclulations at second across multiple servers to ensure that the game runs smoothly.

Taking them offline for downtime and hardware and software maintinance for a few hours every week is just good business practice.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The All STF elite optionals are not registering for the Mark XII Omega ground set.

Please fix it, I would very much like to get those visuals.

While a 4 hours patch is understandable, I think the "only" should be reserved for the 2 hours one, as to indicate that its shorter then the 4 hour ones :)
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • moody83moody83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    damn 4 hours seem like 4 weeks :(
    Perfectworld:
    My wallet has just put you on indefinite probation!!!!
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    eather they pull a scotty or they do what they sometimes do, go over time, with this maitnance and patch
  • andoriansrusandoriansrus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ok so they are fixing the transporter officers but NOT fixing the Tricobalt mines ? shows you where their priorities lay
    Major Xi'Zzin
    I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
    Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
    I have never trusted humans, and I never will
  • wolfblackmoonwolfblackmoon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The 4 hours for a set of minor fixes is reasonable, if they are going to use the time to TEST the patch. Another Space Based MMO I regularly play puts out new patches. then a week later they patch the bugs the patch made, a week after that you guessed it they patch the bugs the patch to patch the bugs made.
    edited January 2013
    Rapid Fire Post Cannons activated! Hmmmm 10% revealed patch notes 90% stealth nerf :)

Edit: Wierd my cookie malfunctioned and it shows this page that says sign in and win a free torpedo launcher wt(sensored/cloaked/whatever).
    edited January 2013
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Thursday, January 10th, at 6AM PST (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance and to apply a new patch. Patch notes can be found here, and we expect this maintenance to only last for 4 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team
    You should stop complaining about the duration of maintenance. Do you know if there is a major optimization/update to the database?
    Just imagine you would log in after the patch and all your hypos are gone, instead of them you've got a full MACO/KHG adapted ground-/space-set, or you would have got 100k more refined Dilithium... That would cause massive problems, since hypos don't drop from every enemy you defeat.

Would this optimization not be touted in the patch notes?
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Rapid Fire Post Cannons activated! Hmmmm 10% revealed patch notes 90% stealth nerf :)

Edit: Wierd my cookie malfunctioned and it shows this page that says sign in and win a free torpedo launcher wt(sensored/cloaked/whatever).

So what are these "stealth nerfs" going to be that you claim?
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, once again, shard maintenance is happening at 2:00 p.m. here in Europe, to 6:00 p.m.

Would it hurt them to just Once ? in a while, do it at a time that is Not so unfair to

Europe? It's Always at a time that goes good with the West! (And I know, it's cause that's where the game originates), yet how bout us Europe Customers eh?
    edited January 2013
    So what are these "stealth nerfs" going to be that you claim?

They are going to nerf all the healing percentages of the food no one ever uses :) The horror of it all no more drinking blood wine out of combat for me!

Edit: Or maybe they are converting all that foods into tacos :)
  • torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    Would this optimization not be touted in the patch notes?

In the patch-notes you've got information about bug-fixes and changes to the gameplay. You won't read anything about updates to the OS of the servers, database optimization or something like that.

You should also remember that Cryptic/PWE sometimes fails to merge multiple Tribble-'Patch-Notes to the Patch-Notes for Holodeck-Server. So if there were more then one Tribble-Patch since the last Holodeck-Patch, read all the Tribble-Patch-Notes to get the complete picture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    because that's the time they work, and that's how it always has been.

The game was created by the West and run by them, who are controlled by the people in the east. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I kinda prefer it this way. Allows me to do something constructive with my day.

At least you know this happens on a Thursday afternoon. If they started to move it around it would be more awkward for everyone.
    edited January 2013
    In the patch-notes you've got information about bug-fixes and changes to the gameplay. You won't read anything about updates to the OS of the servers, database optimization or something like that.

You should also remember that Cryptic/PWE sometimes fails to merge multiple Tribble-'Patch-Notes to the Patch-Notes for Holodeck-Server. So if there were more then one Tribble-Patch since the last Holodeck-Patch, read all the Tribble-Patch-Notes to get the complete picture.

They should specify in the notes that they're doing that; they can't sit there and claim they have common sense and expect people to be content with it taking 4 hours to correct 4 typos.

I personally don't mind the downtime, it can be down all day, I have other things I can be doing, but I just don't see the reasoning in not letting people know they're doing larger maintenance behind the seems, else they build a stigma of, well, laziness.

Every other mmo I've played does this (the last I know).
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    amahood wrote: »
    Well, once again, shard maintenance is happening at 2:00 p.m. here in Europe, to 6:00 p.m.

Would it hurt them to just Once ? in a while, do it at a time that is Not so unfair to

Yes; it would increase the number of users who are inconvenienced. It's pure numbers.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
    edited January 2013
    ok you all make good points. ah.... yeppers I got nothing to say to that really LOL.

except... I sure wish they'd do shard maintenance at a good time sometimes out here too.

oh well.
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    if they did it at 7 am europe time that'd be 1am or 2am in the morning for them personally i like sleep i'm sure the devs do too now try working at 1 2 am on a computer in an office(asuming) and doing well i dont know but game maintence fixing things so on without blowing it up and taking a week to fix :D they get sleep we get good working game :)
    edited January 2013
    if they did it at 7 am europe time that'd be 1am or 2am in the morning for them personally i like sleep i'm sure the devs do too now try working at 1 2 am on a computer in an office(asuming) and doing well i dont know but game maintence fixing things so on without blowing it up and taking a week to fix :D they get sleep we get good working game :)

true, yet couldn't they just hire a team in Europe?
This discussion has been closed.